Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

054748-iPhone_v4.0.1.jpg

iPhoneHellas.gr claims that iOS 4.0.1 will be released today. They cite a "reliable" source for the information. The site, itself, has been proven to be reliable in the past with this kind of information. They previously pinpointed the exact release date of iPhone OS 2.2 over a week in advance.

iOS 4.0.1 would presumably include only bug fixes as well as the new signal strength indicators for the iPhone. The timing of the release the day before Apple's press conference is somewhat curious.

Article Link: iOS 4.0.1 Being Released Today?

Jonmurgie

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2007
Cheltenham, UK
Would be surprised to see this released BEFORE their press conference... saying that the BBC are reporting the press conference will be today?!!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Yeah, it makes no sense that they'd give people 24 hours to play with it before they come out and explain it.

I mean, unless it totally 100% fixes everyone's issues. Then I could see them doing that. So heck...maybe!

But I kind of feel that even the best software fix will only make 75% of the users satisfied, so why give the rest of them a chance to complain for a full day all over the internet?

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Would be surprised to see this released BEFORE their press conference... saying that the BBC are reporting the press conference will be today?!!
I'm assuming that's a typo. Still, if we were going to get this fix today (I'm hoping it will also include a battery life fix) then that surely means something more substantial will be announced tomorrow.

Can't help but feel Apple has managed to dig itself into a pretty big hole with this one...

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
Unless you're a stickler for seeing the bars displayed more clearly this is a worthless update. The fact is you are still going to be experiencing the exact same dead zone phenomenon as before.

winstano

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2005

The BBC are also saying Apple never denied that the emails published on BGR were fake... Gotta love the rush to get news out being more important than accuracy!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
(I'm hoping it will also include a battery life fix)

It won't. Most people have excellent battery life with the new phone. If you're not getting it, there's something wrong. Re-format your phone. Re-install some apps. Exchange it for a different unit...I dunno, but try something. There's some other reason for your problems.

Unless you're a stickler for seeing the bars displayed more clearly this is a worthless update. The fact is you are still going to be experiencing the exact same dead zone phenomenon as before.

Oh, so you're opened up the modem update and examined what it does, then? Do tell.

Everyone else has reported on the cosmetic parts of the OS (like the bars) but I've seen no one explain what the modem update contains. Do you have some insight or are you just guessing?

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
Oh, so you're opened up the modem update and examined what it does, then? Do tell.

Everyone else has reported on the cosmetic parts of the OS (like the bars) but I've seen no one explain what the modem update contains. Do you have some insight or are you just guessing?

What would a modem update do to fix a hardware error?

If I hold my hands tightly around a 3GS I can replicate the signal issue because I am blocking the signal. Of course almost no one does that which is why there is no 3GS signal issue.

The problem with the iP4 is when you touch the antenna where it connects to the ~receiver (death spot) you (fill in the blank) thus causing it to lose signal strength. A software update isn't going to fix that hardware issue.

edk

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2006
isn't it obvious....

steves gonna say, sorry - the only solution possible for apple is too ditch AT&T and their ****** coverage. So, welcome to Apple/Verizon - BOOM!

btw. in Europe, I'm getting better 3G signal and WiFi than ever before...

Kieranic

Apr 23, 2010
Maybe they'll release it during the press release is being held... Like they did for some products a while back.

I wonder if it includes anything for iPod Touch users on iOS4 (I know it probably won't but who knows?)

Lord Vader

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2010
Death Star

If I hold my hands tightly around a 3GS I can replicate the signal issue because I am blocking the signal. Of course almost no one does that which is why there is no 3GS signal issue.

The problem with the iP4 is when you touch the antenna where it connects to the ~receiver (death spot) you (fill in the blank) thus causing it to lose signal strength. A software update isn't going to fix that hardware issue.

You don't know that.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

A software update could increase the speed at which the phone adjusts frequencies. (The i4 reportedly lowered that from past models so that it would place less demand on cell towers.) Or it could increase the amount of power the radio sends out so that it gets through obstacles easier. Both would make the battery drain faster, but perhaps people would be ok with that.

Either one of those changes could potentially alter the way this issue works. If your hand changes the frequency but the phone can keep up with that change...well then it won't really matter.

Will changes like that work? I don't know. I'm not an engineer so I can't say.

Are you telling me you are an engineer and know they won't work? I don't know so I'm going to wait and see. You're so certain, though, that any of those changes are doomed to fail?

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI

Sorry, I tested a friend on mine's iPhone 4 nine ways to Sunday, and could never replicate the issue, no matter what we tried. I have no doubt that some people are experiencing something, but it seems to me that a hardware issue would be replicable on all devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.