iOS 4.0 on 3G is SLOW

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redshft, Jun 24, 2010.

1. redshft macrumors member

Since I updated to 4.0, my phone is running slower than ever now. My dad has complained about the same problem. Hitting any button(application, text send, function button, etc.) there is an average of a 2 second delay. I have to hit the HOME button numerous times to get it to work. My phone is utterly annoying now.

Also, "multi-tasking" doesn't even work for me. Is anyone else experiencing these problems?

2. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

My 3G seems to be pretty alright.

The only thing I've noticed is that when I launch Safari, it does take slightly longer until you're able to tap on a bookmark. But besides that, I haven't noticed anything slower or faster really.

Multitasking isn't supported at all though, so that's why it doesn't work :)

3. celticpride678

Multitasking is not supported by the iPhone 3G.

4. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

Multi-tasking and backgrounds do not work on the iPhone 3G only the 3GS and iPhone 4.

Yes it's slow. Well mine wasn't but every one complained about it.

5. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Most of the "cool" iOS4 features aren't supported. Slower processor/limited RAM. :(

6. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yup. Multi-tasking doesn't work because that phone has half as much RAM as the 3GS (and a quarter as much as the iPhone 4) and as for the slowness, again - it's three generations old. It has always been painfully slow (which is precisely why myself - and many others - upgraded to the 3GS last summer) ... ;)

7. redshft thread starter macrumors member

Cool, good to know my phone isn't the only one. I wasn't aware of the 3G not being capable of the multi-tasking feature either, that blows.

Oh well, can I downgrade back to 3.0? It will probably be a few months before I pick up the i4.

8. LAS22 macrumors regular

a friend said the same thing. he'll be upgrading to the new iP4 in a couple months. one of the few reason i wanted to upgrade.

someone may have the downgrade procedure for 3.x.x, but sure i'd be slightly tedious.

9. adm531 macrumors member

I also found my 3G to be painfully slow after upgrading to iOS4. And for some reason i seemed to lose 3G in areas where this never seemed to happen. Its quite annoying, but i guess im lucky that my iPhone 4 is arriving tomorrow :)

10. bamf macrumors 6502

I know I read somewhere that doing a full restore to the 3G made them run quicker than an upgrade in some instances. I'd be hard pressed to find the link for that though. You may want to try backing the phone up and then doing a restore to see if that speeds you up.

11. El Jefe macrumors member

I've found it to be quite a bit faster, actually. I had to reboot it once or twice. I also think using the folders to drop from like 8 pages to 2 helped the speed too.

12. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Did you go the restore route?

13. mets1125 macrumors regular

My 3g phone is running ok except for maps which is a lot slower for some reason

14. Razeus macrumors 601

My girlfriend has the 3G I bought her for Christmas. It's dog slow on hers. How do I get it back to OS 3.1.x?????

I'll be getting her the i4 soon, but in the meantime OS 4 won't work well on her 3G.

Please help.

15. lomafor macrumors member

lomafor

16. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

my sister can use her more than 2 year old blackberry bold with the latest software version and all features blackberry can have but we 3G users can't. Come on you've gotta think of us Apple. I can't afford iPhone 4! God dammit!

17. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

YES! I'm not jailbroken, but I really notice the lags when I'm tying a text and then hit send! It's annoying.

18. Skoal macrumors 65816

I upgraded to iOS4 on my 3G right before my iPhone 4 arrived. I was planning on giving it to my girlfriends daughter (which I did). I noticed incredible lag when texting etc. Insanely annoying to say the least. EVERYTHING ran slower. I do not recommend upgrading if you have a 3G. I'm reverting it back to what it was! The added features of the iOS are minimal at best and are not worth the slower performance. YMMV!

19. sammjordan macrumors member

I upgraded my 3G to OS4 and it's running smoother and quicker then OS3. For those that did upgrade and are finding it slow, you might want to try restoring it and setting it up as a new phone.

20. gethyphyyo macrumors regular

yeah, My brand new 3G refurb replacement I got yesterday updated to 4.0 and jailbreaked/unlocked for T-mobile and MULTI-TASK enabled is kinda slow.

I have another replacement coming tomorrow due to light leakage, so I will make sure to not check multi-tasking when I jailbreak it with redsn0w.

21. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

restart the phone!

mine was running fast and i am already on to iPhone 4 :D

22. tk421 macrumors 6502a

Mine is faster as well.

As an example, when scrolling through video in the iPod app, it used to stutter and struggle with responsiveness. Now it's smooth. 16GB iPhone 3G.

23. El Jefe macrumors member

Just regular update (i.e., I didn't set it up as a new phone). My 3G was crazy slow with OS3 though.

24. redshft thread starter macrumors member

Well, I ended up downgrading back to 3.1.3 and FINALLY jailbroke it. Love the phone all over again haha.