iOS 4.0 Update for iPod Touch 2nd Gen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kjs2447, Jun 24, 2011.

1. kjs2447 macrumors newbie

This is probably a late question to ask (with iOS 5 being announced) but I wanted to update my iPod Touch to iOS 4.0 and when I went to do it in iTunes, it seemed like it had to wipe out my iPod before I could update it. Is that correct? If so, is there any way I can get my 3000 songs back on there?

Thanks in advance.

-kjs2447

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I personally wouldn't update since 4.0 makes the iPod really slow, but if you are inclined to do so, just first backup the device with iTunes and then click restore. When it is done restoring, it will ask you to restore from a backup and you just click "yes"

That should be it.

3. kjs2447 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I connected my iPod to my computer, iTunes would always back it up. I didn't know that it backed up the songs as well. Thanks.

4. Epic Orange macrumors member

Epic Orange

Backup tries to backup everything on your iOS device.... :rolleyes:

5. kjs2447 thread starter macrumors newbie

Although, on Apple's support website, it says that that iTunes backups that happen automatically DON'T backup songs, photos, etc.

What seems to be happening is that people keep the songs they import to iTunes on iTunes. I don't (didn't) have the space to keep 3514 songs on my computer. I would keep all the purchased songs from the iTunes Store, but as I would import my CDs, I would put them onto my iPod, then delete them from my iTunes library. This backup system on iTunes is for the people who keep all the songs in their library after importing them. This is because the backups only save settings and things of no importance to me that can easily be replaced. Songs cannot be easily replaced. Do I have to buy a backup program that I will only use once, or am I completely wrong and I shouldn't have to worry about this?

6. Mystic Eddy macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure there's software out there that will enable you to copy the songs off the iPod to an external HDD for example, without charging you.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

When you backup your device, iTunes "remembers" what was on it, and copies it back to the device from the computer after the upgrade. In other words, if you don't have the music on your computer, you will lose them since iTunes normally restores files from what is saved on the computer.

You don't need to buy a backup program, you just need to the device into iTunes and copy it to the computer.

So yes, everything you said is exactly right. I would personally backup all those songs to the computer. If the computer crashes or iPod dies, you lose all your music. If you got a new computer and plugged in the iPod with all your songs on it, the computer would automatically delete everything off the iPod since only computer can be linked to an iPod.