IOS 4.2 doesn't support airplay from the camera roll!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phpmaven, Nov 22, 2010.

1. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Are you kidding me? I just updated my iPhone and ATV2 and I'm completely baffled by the fact that you can't airplay a video from your camera roll! I hope I'm missing something here, because I'm sure that many of you were like me when you first heard about airplay on the ATV2 and being able to stream video to it from your iPhone: "Sweet!, I can shoot a video and play it on my TV over the air".

I can't imagine why they would have omitted this. :mad:

2. Tor Eckman macrumors member

I'm having the exact same issue. Why can't I airplay video I've taken on my iPhone from the camera roll????? That is the absolute most useful feature, because I have all of my other movies already in Itunes and available directly to my ATV2. I want to be able to shoot video on my phone, walk in the house, hit a button, and watch the video via ATV2 on my big screen. What am I missing?

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

That does sound like a great way to watch iPhone videos. I was ready to buy the new Apple TV. Why leave that out?? :confused:

4. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

That sucks considering in my case that is the only way I planned on streaming videos to my ATV.

5. egnarts macrumors newbie

I don't have 4.2, so I can't confirm if this works or not, but this article states the following:

"What is surprising, however, is that there’s no AirPlay button in the Photo app when it’s playing movies. Since quickly recording a home movie and beaming it to our TV is one of the features we love most, that’s a bit of an annoyance. However, you can double click the Home Button and double swipe left to get to the second widget bar, then hit the AirPlay button there. A hassle but hopefully a workable one."

Hopefully that will help you out.

6. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Follow these steps

1) Start a movie in camera roll
    2) Double-tap home button
    3) swipe to the right
    4) Select Airplay button

I can get to the Airplay button. However, the 30 second video never appears on my TV.

7. magga macrumors regular

This is correct however, it only sends audio, no video :(

8. houdinize macrumors regular

On iPhone it does not allow you to select AppleTV when pressing the Airplay icon, I also have an airport express on my network and the audio goes to speakers through it but no go on the AppleTV. Not sure why this wasn't implemented.

9. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

I had the same issue until I enabled Airplay on the ATV2 :p

10. houdinize macrumors regular

This is in reference to playing videos from the camera roll to the AppleTV. Have you gotten it to work? I think no one has.

11. Tor Eckman macrumors member

I still can't figure it out. This is unbelievable -- the most useful feature for Airplay, and it's just not there -- why Apple?????????? :confused:

12. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Nope - But, you mentioned you were not even given the option to select ATV2 when pressing Airplay.

13. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Actually it only "the most useful feature for Airplay" if you shoot video and want to play it on your TV.

Since I rarely shoot video and and view it only on my iMac, it is not a very important issue or a useful feature at all. :)

14. TOOFY macrumors regular

I can confirm that this option DOES NOT WORK. Sometimes the things they think of are idiotic. For god sakes who the hell is going to go thru all the trouble to put them into a god damn album and then watch it. Apple really got me upset with this feature.

15. mikejd1 macrumors 6502

This is absolutely 100% the dumbest thing I have ever heard of not allowing this. Basically, the feature is absolutely pointless now in my book as all my movies are in iTunes anyway so I just go to my computer in apple tv and movies. I want to put up on the tv what I just shot!!!

This is a big mistake by apple

16. TOOFY macrumors regular

I have only one album and that is my camera roll. Just retarded if you ask me. They really expect me to sync albums and stuff so that i could push it on my tv. The whole point of it all was so that i could push to my ATV's around my house in an instant if i wanted to. Not go on my mac, sync, copy, make album, then try again. Stupid.:mad:

17. mikejd1 macrumors 6502

Here's to hoping a jailbreak app will fix this!!!

18. LiquidThunderLT macrumors member

This seems like a really crazy omission and I'm sure it's simply due to some technical reason that will definitely get ironed out, I bet this gets added in within a few months.

However, in the meantime, does anyone use dropbox? I was thinking you could use dropbox as a workaround pretty easily. Since the dropbox app has the standard media viewer, and allows you to upload content from your camera roll, you could just:

Open the dropbox app, quickly choose the video from the camera roll you want to airplay, upload it, and then airplay it from the dropbox media viewer.

Again this is *far* from ideal but it is better than nothing.

I don't have an appleTV, could someone that does try this and see if it works?

19. TOOFY macrumors regular

Thanks for the work around but as you said this is far from ideal. I cannot think of ANY reason as to why they would take this out. Man i was all hyped to use this throughout my house. I bought two f'n ATV's just to make my life easier to show family/friends photos & videos. What a big disappointment this was.

20. pirateRACE macrumors 6502

Couldn't agree more. While I love all that I use my Apple TV for, this was one of the features that really sold me. I bought 2 as well.

I'm hoping a smart app developer just makes a video recording app that can play via AirPlay. Seems simple. I don't see what the hangup is.

21. TOOFY macrumors regular

EDIT: I have gotten it to work! It seems that you MUST add the camera roll as a album when u sync your photos. The camera roll will allow the user to show videos and photos via airplay.

I retract my hate posts! LMAO.

EDIT 2: Videos do not work, only photos.

22. mikejd1 macrumors 6502

Booooo for edit 2 :(

23. LiquidThunderLT macrumors member

I can assure you a reason exists, and it's a good one. I mean they clearly put thought into allowing you to view your camera roll content via airplay as you can do this with pictures. I'm not sure what the limitation is but there is simply no way they left this out 'by accident' or because they didn't 'want to'.

24. Iggy macrumors regular

Soooo for me not only can I not stream video from the photo app but I can't do it from any app except for iPod or the YouTube app. And that doesn't include watching YouTube via Safari. What a disappointment! Is this the same for everyone else?

25. mikejd1 macrumors 6502

Seems to be the case. I just went to the movie trailers page on apples site and attempted it and all I got was audio. What a pure piece of **** feature