iOS 4.2 on iPad - First Impressions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by poloponies, Sep 15, 2010.

1. poloponies macrumors 68030

Engadget's tried it and ... the big disappointment for many here is that there's no noticeable speed impairment compared to the iPhone:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/15/ios-4-2-on-ipad-preview-video/

I'm confident people will find something or other to gripe about but, for the moment at least, there's no "RAM crippling" issue.

2. lozpop macrumors 6502

Cool, I've been really glad hearing a master like Engadget saying that they are "surprised to see multitasking and the overall system running very well and without lag".

Really can't wait for the update..

3. iAAPL macrumors regular

iAAPL

I don't know what I'm more excited for: my new iMac (27"i7) to arrive tomorrow, or for iOS 4.2 to finish downloading for my iPad (35 more minutes).

4. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I am an antsy pants at work today. Of all days to leave my MacBook Pro at home -- I could've been downloading 4.2 already!

Going to kick off the download the second I get home tonight and hopefully have my iPad up and running before bedtime. Looks like it's gonna be a late night tonight. :D

Saddest thing is the biggest feature on 4.2 that excites me is folders, haha. After organizing the iPhone 4 with folders, I hate flipping pages on the iPad.

5. zepica macrumors regular

If I upgrade now to beta 4.2 can I latter downgrade to 3.2 if I have shsh saved, and can I jailbreak again using jailbreakme.com ?

6. shadowbird423 macrumors regular

shadowbird423

I would think so. Wait for confirmation though...

7. Zcott macrumors 68020

Almost certainly you can go back to 3.2.2.

I've got 4.2 running here on my iPad, and first impressions are that it's fantastic. No noticeable slowdown, AirPlay works a treat without having to be set up, and multitasking is great but needs to be updated with all the third party apps.

8. Built macrumors 68020

Great to hear, poloponies. Thanks for posting this, though, as you say, I am sure that there will be a contingent here who will find SOME fatal flaw, either contrived or imagined.

I'm jealous...wish I could download 4.2 TODAY...even if it is just Beta...:(

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I saw that article on Engadget earlier today, and the first thing that I noticed is that it seems like Apple is going to allow you stream video embedded in the Safari browser to the new Apple TV using AirPlay.

My first impression of AirPlay was that Apple was only going to allow you to stream media from your iPod/Photos app. Now I am hoping that Apple allows me to stream Pandora through AirPlay, that would be awesome. (I wonder if the ABC app would be allowed to be streamed as well??)

[​IMG]

10. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

Got it installed here and so far so good. No crashes yet!

Maybe it's just me but it feels like web pages load/render faster. Don't know if it's safari or better wifi drivers

11. zepica macrumors regular

Are tabs in safari and refresh problems better?

12. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I really hope it's the latter!

13. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

it really is an amazing thought. Iplayer / YouTube / games. Would be great!

14. gatearray macrumors 65816

And this on on a BETA issue of the OS! Excellent news, although any sensible person (such as yours truly) would've guessed this already seeing iOS 4 run great on a 3GS and the "crippled" iPod Touch with A4+256mb...

What say you now, RAM crybabies?

15. GeekLawyer macrumors 68020

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    Color me impressed. It's teh snappier all around.

4.2 has fixed a crazy calendar sync issue I've been dealing with since 3.2.1., or so.

Feels polished; feels ready for prime time. Waiting two months doesn't make much sense. Apple should let this fly.

16. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

Is there any way to upgrade to 4.2 for Non-developers?

17. melman101 macrumors 68030

I have a funny feeling 4.2 has been pretty stable for a while on Apple's side for the iPad. I bet they need to wait to get the iPhone's 4.2 up to snuff.

18. iThinman macrumors regular

Hi,

RAM Crybaby requests that you load 4 tabs in Safari, that one of them be a PBase gallery, you then go back to the first tab without it reloading.

RAM crybaby is tapping his foot, waiting for the 'good news'

19. gatearray macrumors 65816

Don't have a dev account unfortunately so I can't try it out here, but I suggest you give it a shot on your iPhone 4 first and tell us exactly what happens. Checkers, anyone?

Non-RAM crybaby patiently waiting, as well. :)

20. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

It still refreshes here I'm afraid even with just 2 tabs though I'm wondering if it's time dependent as sometimes it doesn't even though it's the same pages in each tab?

Edit: hmm it's not resfreshing now with 5 tabs open

21. chrisf82 macrumors newbie

Yes. You can google something like "ios 4.2 ipad udid registration." Then look for a developer who seems reputable and is asking no more than $10 (I saw one for $6) and who accepts the money via paypal. You send the dev your UDID and your payment, they add you to their developer account (each dev is allowed up to 100 iDevices, I believe). Then they'll usually provide you a way to download the 4.2 software and instructions.

However, it is super easy. Sync your iPad fist, which you can do as 4.2 is downloading. Then once it has downloaded you alt+click restore and this allows you to choose the file from which you are restoring. Select the 4.2 software and then iTunes will verify your UDID with Apple (this is why you need to pay a dev to add you to their account and not just torrent a copy).

Once 4.2 has installed then just restore from the backup you made or set it up as a new iPad, whichever. Tada, it's that simple.

22. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

So u mean to twill me, 4.2 beta is working flawlessly and we still have to wait a whole month and a half. This is some ********.

23. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If I pay someone to register my iPad's UDID, can I have it removed later on? I'm writing an app right now but I haven't registered for the program yet.

24. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

You can look for people that you can pay (usually Paypal) to register your UDID for you.

25. chrisf82 macrumors newbie

Dang, wish I would of known this! Oh well, I'd be ticket about being out $10 but seeing the download in progress is soothing my emotions quite well.