MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

TiPb posts a video demonstrating the performance of the iPhone 3G under the golden master version of iOS 4.2, revealing what appears to be an improvement over iOS 4.1. While the performance obviously does not match that of the iPhone 4, which offers significantly better hardware than the iPhone 3G, the new software version does seems to make for an improved user experience on the older device.
iPhone 3G's hardware isn't as fast and it's RAM is literally a quarter of iPhone 4's but it did a decent job typing, scrolling, pinching, and zooming its way around iOS 4.2.
Users reported significant issues with the original iOS 4 release on the iPhone 3G, primarily citing issues with performance, but also battery drains and overheating. Apple CEO Steve Jobs noted in response to a customer email on the issue that a software update was forthcoming, and an informal comparison did suggest that iOS 4.1 brought improved performance to the iPhone 3G.

Those improvements have not, however, satisfied all iPhone 3G owners, as one filed suit against Apple late last month, seeking class action status for claims that iOS 4 essentially makes iPhone 3Gs unusable.
In her complaint, Wofford claims that Apple was aware that iOS 4 would cause degraded performance on older iPhones, and she accused Apple of purposely creating an incentive for customers to purchase newer iPhones.

"Apple has falsely, intentionally and repeatedly represented to owners and consumers of the iPhone 3G that its new operating system for the device, iOS4, was of a nature, quality, and a significant upgrade for the functionality of all iPhone devices, when in fact, the installation and use of the iOS4 on iPhone 3G resulted in the opposite - a device with little more use than that of a paperweight," the complaint read.
Apple seeded the golden master version of iOS 4.2 to developers early last week, and many observers are expecting a public release sometime this week.

Article Link: iOS 4.2 to Bring More Performance Improvements to iPhone 3G?

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Sky Blue said:
upgrade to a newer phone, people

People shouldn't have to. Get off your high horse. Apple did a shoddy job on 4.0 for the 3G. I know the hardware is old, but Apple knew it ran ****** on 4.0.

I hope this lady wins and sets Apple straight.

Comment

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
I can informally confirm this... iOS 4.2 on the 3G seems quite usable (and i have a 3GS and 4 to compare it to). Pinching/zooming/panning around web pages is still much smoother than on my motorola Droid.
I should sue Verizon for the choppy web browsing on it :rolleyes:

Comment

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The lawsuit should be thrown out. It's called planned obsolescence. Companies do this all the time. Older hardware will eventually not be able to support newer software as time goes on. Consumers are always demanding new and improved features in the new OS's and thus that requires better hardware.

In this case of iOS 4.x on a 3G iPhone, it is to be expected that it will run slower. A 400MHz processor and what, 128MB of RAM, it's going to be slow. Apple can optimize iOS 4.x as much as they can, but it won't be a cure-all, end-all.

Comment

ghostface147

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2008
I've played with a friends 3G running 4.1, and it was a little slow, but nothing drastic. He's just jealous that his wife has an i4 and runs circles around him.

Comment

nwcs

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
The lawsuit is just silly. Even so, I'm glad to hear that 4.2 will help the 3G in performance. I gave my 3G to my brother so I'm sure he'll appreciate it.

Comment

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
The lawsuit should be thrown out. It's called planned obsolescence. Companies do this all the time. Older hardware will eventually not be able to support newer software as time goes on. Consumers are always demanding new and improved features in the new OS's and thus that requires better hardware.

In this case of iOS 4.x on a 3G iPhone, it is to be expected that it will run slower. A 400MHz processor and what, 128MB of RAM, it's going to be slow. Apple can optimize iOS 4.x as much as they can, but it won't be a cure-all, end-all.

I understand what you're saying but it's not like a normal computer where software gets more demanding so you have to upgrade your hardware or be left behind. With the iPhone 3G, it was sold with iOS 3 which was perfectly usuable on the device but with iOS 4 the device is mind-numbingly slow and you can't easily roll back to the previous version. As such, what was once a usuable device under iOS 3 is now essentially unusuable in iOS 4. The fact Apple cut back on the functionality of iOS 4 on the 3G they should have ensured that the basic speed of the device didn't degrade significantly.

Apple should either provide an easy way for 3G owners to roll back to iOS 3 or speed up iOS 4 to bring the 3G back to it's original speed.

I don't think it's fair since iOS 4 doesn't really offer that much extra compared to iOS 3 on an iPhone 3G and it really isn't nice for a phone to go from acceptable to unacceptable with one software 'upgrade'. I think Apple should have included the iPhone 3G with the Original iPhone as devices which are unsupported on iOS 4.

Comment

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

People shouldn't have to. Get off your high horse. Apple did a shoddy job on 4.0 for the 3G. I know the hardware is old, but Apple knew it ran ****** on 4.0.

I hope this lady wins and sets Apple straight.

They just should have never put 4.0 on the 3G. That would have solved this problem quickly and easily.

Comment

kinless

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2003
Tustin, California
Maybe I'm easy to please, but I have a work-issued iPhone 3G using iOS 4.1, and while pudgy, it's not unusable. I'm always doing tests with it and it's adequate enough for me.

Some people just like to bitch.

Comment

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
No one is forcing 3G users to update. If you don't like the performance, stay at 3.x.

Comment

MacMan67

macrumors member
May 10, 2010
Lawrencetown NS

I agree with this. How many Android devices are first generation and are stuck on 1.6 with no upgrade in site, and , they don't even issue patches for security flaws on the older versions. I wouldn't complain too much about Apple supporting old devices when Android doesn't support current ones. What I do wish Apple would do is provide an easy mechanism to downgrade once you upgrade and find that it isn't speedy enough for you.

Comment

mutantteenager

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2006
Apple could have avoided this whole s...storm by limiting the release to the newest phones only. What they did was a poor job of testing/optimising it for 3G, and they needed to fess up to that

Anyone who thinks that you should junk your existing phone just because Apple bring out a new one, are the one's not living in this reality. If the previous model was so poor in the first place, why make it or sell it?

Comment

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
Her claim is BS. Apple would never intentionally harm a product. They have often specifically dropped out a product that is long in the tooth during upgrades but never allowed an upgrade that seriously slows a product down simply to make them unusable. In many cases even very old products improve with newer versions which is a testament to Apple software engineers. It happened (and someone probably got roasted) and they will fix it. I agree they should have done this faster.

Comment

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
No one is forcing 3G users to update. If you don't like the performance, stay at 3.x.

Had people known it would basically brick the 3g people would have been hesitant to upgrade. And since Apple doesn't like going backwards they didn't make it possible, aside from being tech savvy and knowing where to look, to dial back the upgrade.

Comment

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I don't think the slowdown in the original iOS 4 was intentional, but I agree that it probably did result in many people upgrading. I think a lot of those people are ones that like to upgrade every couple of years anyway (hey, get new cameras, faster processor, etc.)

Comment

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
We had a couple threads of this when iOS4 first came out for the 3G, and I have to say, I still don't understand some people. A lawsuit? Really? Of all the things in the world to sue about, we get a lawsuit over a poor user experience.

They support the 3G (gimped, mind you), and you still complain. Granted, it's not running the best, and likely needs more gimping, but really? It's old hardware. 2 generations prior is 2 generations prior-- its old for computers, and even older for cellphones, especially considering the pace at which the industry is moving.

They shouldn't have supported it to start with, because now we have people complaining about performance, and even more people complaining about the gimped revision for the 3G. Had they not supported it though, people still would have complained, although probably not as much as this.

A possible poor PR move by Apple. In an attempt to please everyone they effectively did the opposite.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.