iOS 4.2GM FAQ

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Saberon, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Saberon, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010

Saberon macrumors 6502a

I'll be around off and on today to answer any questions people have about iOS 4.2GM (I seem to be getting a lot of PM's about posts that I have made regarding batter/features etc)

If I can't answer your question I'm sure someone else will step in and help.

Ask away!

Q: Do I need iTunes 10.1 B2 to install iOS 4.2 GM?

A: No, but you need iTunes 10.1 B2 to sync your iPad once 4.2 is installed. There are a LOT of syncing bugs with the Beta iTunes and it may crash frequently when syncing your iPad (at least for Windows users)

Q: Does the battery life suffer with multitasking?

A: I've noticed a small drain is battery compared to 3.2.2. However with the iPad's excellent battery life and the new features that 4.2 brings to the table, it doesn't even concern me for a moment.

Q: When will iOS 4.2 be released?

A: Well, nobody really knows for sure. The Golden Master (which is more than likely to be identical to 4.2) was released Nov 1. If I had to make a guess I would say no earlier than the 12th.

Q: Why am I having Wi-Fi issues with 4.2 GM but the other betas were fine?

A: Not too sure, I went straight from 3.2.2 to 4.2GM and never installed a beta on my device. I have never had wireless issues ever with any firmware release so I'm not much of a help. The only suggestion I have is to hard reset/restore iPad and unplug your modem/router in your home for 30 sec and plug them back in. This can resolve some WiFi issues.

Q: Are there any performance problems due to the lack of the iPad's RAM?

A: Yes and no. 95% of the time I don't have an issue, I can open up mail, switch to safari, switch to a game and there isn't anything to complain about. Sometimes there is a delay when double clicking the home button especially when running a program that uses a lot of memory. It's not a terribly big deal however.

Q: Why did Apple change the rotation lock?

A: I really don't know and wish they hadn't. It's very confusing now that there is a difference between the mute switch and volume off. When the mute switch is on, games/movies still make noise but the email alerts/keyboard clicks do not. Turning the volume down to 0 will turn off all sound. I find this very confusing and counter productive. I miss my orientation lock.

Q: How well does Print Center work?

A: So far so good on Windows 7 64 bit. I have a non Ethernet/wireless printer and shared it through Windows 7. iPad picked it right up and printed with 0 issues. Very happy with it so far!

Q: Do I need to be a developer and have a registered UDID to install iOS4.2 GM?

A: No, but you need to be a developer to download iOS4.2 GM from Apple

Q: What build number is the GM?

A: 8C134

Q: My internet is a bit slow, how big is the iOS 4.2 GM to download?

A: First of all the GM is extremely likely to be the official 4.2 release, but if it's not, the size will be almost identical.

iPad 549MB
    iPhone 4 624MB
    iPhone 3GS 401MB
    iPhone 3G 322MB
    iPod Touch 4G 608MB
    iPod Touch 3G 389MB
    iPod Touch 2G 346MB

Q: Is there a list of all changes made in iOS 4.2?

A: Most certainly. I use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history#4.2 (Note: Wikipedia is not always 100% accurate but it is the best list I have found)

Q: Is it worth it to upgrade my iPod touch to 4.2?

A: That's a question you'll have to answer for yourself. The iPod Touch gets the least amount of changes in iOS 4.2. AirPlay, AirPrint/Safari Text Search and new wallpapers are really all there is to offer for iPod Touch users. iPad users will by far get the most use/changes out of 4.2.

Q: Is iOS 4.2 free?

A: Of course! Every user of an iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch (Except 1st Gen iPhone/iPod Touch users which can't update past 3.1.3) will be able to update to 4.2 for no charge.

2. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

They didn't implement Print Center. At least I didn't find it, so still no native printing for the time being.

3. Mdifilm macrumors regular

What is e best way to sync and how?

I have been trying to figure this out and still not there yet, here's my question:

I have a PC with outlook 2007 that has 3 calendars set, one is personal, one for work, and one for a nonprofit, I sync the work n the nonprofit calendars using a third party plug in for outlook to sync these 2 calendars to google calendar so others can view this and know my schedule (the plug in allows me to only sync the calendars I want to send to google calendar), I also have all these 3 calendars synced from outlook to my iPhone and iPad so I can see all 3...

My problem is that when I do a new event on google and sync it back to outlook, it duplicates, or if I sync google to iPhone or iPad, it duplicates the event into the two calendars set on google calendar...

Is there an easy way to sync them all nicely? Or I can only sync one way: from outlook to everyone or can I sync iPhone n iPad to google and it shows up in google correctly (thAt only 2 calendars from iPhone n ioad syncs through and personal one is not)?

Thanks for helping in advance..

4. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Is there support for traditional Chinese (as opposed to simplified Chinese) in 4.2 GM?

5. Magsec4 macrumors member

Pretty sure AirPrint is in there.

The only problem is you need either one of those HP printers that supports it natively, or iTunes 10.1 to share (any) printer (on Windows) or Mac OS 10.6.5 to share (any) printer. Then you can print from iOS 4.2.

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Does the multitasking in any way make chat programs work better?

So, I could be say making a document in Pages and also chatting in MSN when I get a message at the same time?

7. Saberon thread starter macrumors 6502a

@Thelookingglass There is Chinese Traditional (Handwriting/Pinyin/Cangjie/Stroke/Zhuyin) (This is referring to the keyboard, are you referring to changing the entire language on the iPad?)

@Piggie It depends on your chat program, they will need to update their app for OS4 features if they haven't yet. If it's anything like skype I can be writing an email and recieve an IM notification that a friend sent me a message and I can hit VIEW and it will take me to skype to reply to my friend.(I can read the message in the popup while in email/pages etc)

@Mdifilm I will setup a calendar situation like you have (I use Windows 7 with outlook) and see if I can reproduce your problem. What plugin are you using?

8. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I don't think you are correct. If so, then by all means post where and how to implement it. The iPad apps now have a dialog for printing but there is no way I have managed to get my iPad to find my printer (wireless by the way) that my MBP and other devices see. Soooooo please say how to get this working.

9. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Thanks for the reply.

I just have this terrible vision which I hope is not a reality.

Tying in pages, I get a notification.

CLICK CLICK the home button, reply to the IM

CLICK CLICK the home button back to pages.

Continue typing, get another IM notification.

CLICK CLICK the home button, reply to the IM

CLICK CLICK the home button back to pages.

etc etc.

10. Saberon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm, I just managed to print from my Brother HL2140 (no ethernet support/no wireless)

I use Windows 7. Opened up control panel, shared the printer, gave it a name. Enabled AirPrint in iTunes and it showed up on the list of printers on my iPad.

11. Saberon thread starter macrumors 6502a

@Piggie, well it's not THAT bad...lol

Typing in Pages

Notification pops up: It contains the message and 2 options, View and Close

Tap View, it takes you out of pages and into the IM.

Reply to message

Click click, back to pages

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Do apple allow app writers to create a app in a popup window that overlays another app?

If they don't they should do.

Even if the popup freezes the app it pops up onto.

for an IM program (such as I described) it would be way nicer to be able to reply to the IM within a popped up window which is overlaying, in this instance Pages, and when you have replied and closed the popup then pages is still there running again.

Given the FULL SCREEN nature of the iPad as opposed to the multiple windows on a PC or Mac, this would make things work a lot faster and smoother I'd think.

13. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

The full airprint is coming when we get Mac os 10.6.5 isn't it? Probably be released either a bit before or same time as iOS 4.2. On windows though I think you need the iTunes 10.1 beta. hope that answers some of your question, I really wanted to try out airprint and I've got a wireless printer but I think I'll just wait for the official release of 10.6.5

14. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

You need Mac OS X 10.6.5 for it to work as far as I know. There was an OS X beta shipped with 4.2b1 and it was necessary for printing.

15. Graig macrumors 6502

Graig

16. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Nope, not in it now and likely will not happen in the near future.

17. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

8c134.

18. Graig macrumors 6502

Graig

19. shandyman Suspended

since 10.6.5 and itunes 10.1 are needed for 4.2, i think its tuesday at earliest as doubt they will do all 3 releases on the same day

20. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

There's no way they're releasing 4.2 without printing being capable so I suspect Tuesday/Wednesday for OS X and iTunes and Thursday/Friday or even next week for 4.2

21. Saberon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for helping me answer some Q's Warbrain. :D

Also, I don't own a Mac and didn't realize the OS needed an update for AirPrint, which would most certainly make 4.2 a next week release, maybe the 12th if were lucky.

22. shandyman Suspended

that's why i said i thought tuesday for 4.2, the whole point of my post would be that it won't be monday as they need 10.6.5 and itunes 10.1 and won't release all 3 on same day. so i have a feeling it's monday for 10.6.5 and iTunes 10.1 and tuesday for 4.2, or 10.1 tuesday and 4.2 wednesday. from what i remember i don't think it's been more than a week for a GM to go full relase, i could be wrong tho.

23. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

No problem. I figured I could help out a bit.

24. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I recall it being two weeks at one point but I can't recall what update it was.

25. Saberon thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure 4.0 was GM to Final in 1 week, both being identical builds. Having high hopes for 4.2 tomorrow but I doubt it.