IOS 4.3.3 iphone could not be restored error 1013

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iphone3gnj, Jul 19, 2011.

1. iphone3gnj macrumors member

So here is my situation. I had 4.3.2 and felt my iphone was running slow. I figured I would upgrade to 4.3.3 and re-jailbreak but 4.3.4 was already out. Itunes said I something about not being eligible for the version. So I went into DFU mode to do the update with a mod to the host file to bypass Apple's servers so that I can do the update (different IP for gs.apple.com). The process kicks off. Itunes says restoring iphone software and the progress bar goes but goes faster than the progress bar on my phone. It finishes and says verifying iphone software followed by verifying iphone restore. The progress bar on my phone stops about 2/3rds of the way. Then Itunes says restoring iphone firmware and kills the whole process.

How can I get 4.3.3 to install without these issues? My phone is stuck in DFU mode, and I think that is because the software didn't install.

2. iphone3gnj thread starter macrumors member

3. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Is it dfu or recovery mode. Use tiny umbrella to fix recovery .

4. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I had similar issues trying to restore in preparation for a trip to the genius bar.

I was finally able to get it to work by doing as you say, then using redsnow to load cydia, essentially jailbreaking again. While this does get the phone able to boot up again, its still jailbroken.

If anyone can point me to a step by step tutorial for how to restore a clean 4.3.3 please do. Everything i have tried short of redsnow hasn't worked.

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

You normally need SHSH to restore to a firmware that is no longer being signed. Did you have this?

6. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Read wat I posted.

7. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Option/restore with tiny umbrella running didnt work for me. It gets stuck in recovery.

8. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

I gave the solution. Use fix recovery.

9. sbddude macrumors 6502a

OK, now I tried DFU mode, then Fix Recovery in TU.

I see on the phone "greenpoison initialized" and it is stuck there.

10. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

It takes lil bit of time.

11. sbddude macrumors 6502a

That did NOT work. It's still stuck in recovery.

12. gavie macrumors newbie

My phone was stuck when doing restore yesterday. Mine would start the restore then itunes wwould go back saying recovery mode.
    The way I finally got it to work was to put phone into DFU mode at that point and run jailbreak with redsn0w. The jb worked and then it went back ti recovery. Clicking exit recovery in TU worked after the jb was installed.
    Took me all day to get it to work. Ws getting 1013 and 3194 errors and software server not found when editing hosts file out.

13. iphone3gnj thread starter macrumors member

Fix recovery did not work for me. It launched terminal and kept looping without any result. Redsn0w did not work. It is stuck on installing activation bundles or about 2/3 of the way through, just like it was stuck when I tried to install 4.3.3.

My problem seems to be when 4.3.3 is being installed the progress bar in itunes goes all the way through but on the iphone it lags behind. Then it tries to verify the install with apple, but I have gs.apple.com pointing to the cydia server. Then something happens and that kills the remainder of the install process, so I am left with 2/3rd of ios being installed and stuck in recovery mode.

Is there any option for me besides going to 4.3.4?

FYI, I am stuck in recovery mode.

14. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Ok do one thing
    Remove the gs.apple.com string from hosts file.
    Now use tiny umbrella to run the TSS server. And then restore...

15. aceweil macrumors member

I had this exact problem. Took me a few hours to figure it out, but in the end what fixed it was using my saved SHSH blobs from 4.3.3 and running that with tiny umbrella and fix recovery once I had edited the "hosts" file. switched it back after it ran through the custom restore and worked like normal, but prior to using my 4.3.3 SHSH blobs nothing would kick the restore all the way through, and using tiny umbrella just kept kicking me back into recovery

16. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

17. iphone3gnj thread starter macrumors member

It does not work. It just says preparing iphone for restore in itunes and i see the DFU/recovery screen on my iphone.

18. iphone3gnj thread starter macrumors member

This didn't do it for me. I believe I am not getting the full install of 4.3.3 since it quits 2/3 of the way, so there is no OS to go into once it gets kicked out of recovery mode.

19. iphone3gnj thread starter macrumors member

I think this might be the problem. I had the gs.apple.com servers blocked so I figured I would try this. I left them block. Then the install started. I then removed the entries in the hosts file. Apple tries to verify the install about 60% of the way through. When the line was removed from hosts, apple said I was not eligible for the upgrade. When the line was there, the install just failed. Something in that process is killing the upgrade.

20. iphone3gnj thread starter macrumors member

I had to restore to 4.3.4. During the install process, ios calls out to Apple servers and if it doesn't get the right response it doesn't install. This time the install went from 60% all the way to 100%. There goes my jailbreak. At least my ipad is jailbroken. Luckily IOS 5 is around the corner. What a bummer this is. The lesson learned is to jailbreak immediately when the correct software is being supported.

21. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

Sorry I didn't see this before you punted to 4.3.4.

I've lived this nightmare before as well. The problem is where and when iTunes is reaching out for the firmware signing. The key is having tinyumbrella server running with your saved SHSH blob to spoof iTunes into thinking it's talking to apple.

I found that the 1013 error happened to me when I was connected to my work LAN. If I got completely off the local net such that the gs.apple.com line in hosts could correctly resolve to the tinyumbrella server, it worked fine.

22. iphone3gnj thread starter macrumors member

I tried the tinyumbrella approach running as a server and it did not work, but I also didn't have any SHSH blobs saved from 4.3.2. It doesn't seem like it would have worked.

23. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I ended up doing the same. I was able to restore to 4.3.3 jailbroken using redsnow, but it was JB and 3G data did not work...4.3.4 was fine. All I needed was a clean restore to take it to the apple store. They opted to replace the phone and I insisted that the replacement have 4.3.3.

So now I am all set.

PS are you using mac or PC?

24. iphone3gnj thread starter macrumors member

25. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

U need not have lost the jb.
    U cud have used fix recovery for mac.
    I just helped a guy solve the same problem u had..