iOS 4.3 - Are multitouch gestures still there?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by davidcmc, Mar 4, 2011.

1. davidcmc macrumors 6502

2. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

The multitouch gestures were never in the beta builds by default, they had to be enabled using a special developer tool. It was never meant to be anything more than an experiment for developers to give Apple feedback on a potential future feature. It was not intended to ship with 4.3 GM. So if the code is somehow still in there and can be enabled through Jailbreaking, that is probably not intentional by Apple and someone forgot to remove the code. Also, the "final build" is exactly what the GM build is, it's the gold master build, the same build that will be released to the public.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

If you are a developer and have XCode, then yes, you can still enable Gestures.

4. davidcmc thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah. I know that multitouch gestures were just an experiment only (theoretically) available for developers and that you need XCode to enable it.

My question is about the actual code in the iOS.
    The code was available in the first beta, if I remember correctly, but then they've removed it in the second beta.

Reading that article from Gizmodo made me wonder if they've put the code back in the final version (still for experiment purposes).

5. slicecom macrumors 68020

Also, if you are not a developer and have XCode, the you can enable gestures as well.

6. davidcmc thread starter macrumors 6502

How? :D

7. unkn0wnsoldier macrumors regular

unkn0wnsoldier

Originally Posted by Lagranger
    This seemed to work for me.

- Install 4.3GM (fwiw, I didn't install any of the 4.3 betas. The GM was the first one I tried)
    - Connect iPad via USB
    - Launch Xcode (I'm using v3.2.5)
    - Go to Window->Organizer
    - Select your iPad under Devices category in the left column
    - Click on 'Use for Development' button
    - When prompted for provisioning portal credentials, just hit Cancel.
    - (Another dialog came up prompting me to enable debugging info on the device. I just told it No)
    - Xcode will report that the device is unrecognized for development -- this may sound like a problem, but if you now check the iPad's Settings app under General, you should see a new option for Multitasking Gestures.

Hope this helps.

btw, I really like the gestures since the constant clickety-click of the Home button was beginning to annoy me a bit.

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I never realized that Xcode was a free download, I thought it was part of the $99/yr Developer Account, but its not.

downloading now

9. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

Yes, there is no difference between the Xcode you're downloading and one dev's use.

The only difference is once you want to put the application you are creating onto a device for testing, you need a dev account to create a provisioning profile. that profile will allow you to write apps to your device that are signed with your certificates.

10. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

11. Lagranger macrumors member

Well, after using the multitasking gestures for a couple of days, I have to say that I really do like them and hope that Apple decides to enable them for general use in all future versions of iOS.

Still, I think I'm going to stop using them at least until someone is able to confirm that they are present (or can be enabled) on the iPad 2. (Just because the iPad 1G iOS has this feature, doesn't mean the 4.3 firmware shipped on the iPad 2 will) It would be a shame to become attached to a new option that may not be available on the next hardware iteration.

12. dmb499 macrumors regular

anyone know if the mouse gestures works for iphone 4?

13. RyanTheGeneral macrumors regular

I do not think they are... however from hearing they were test runs sounds to me like a possible feature of iOS 5.. just me thinking though.

14. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

15. orlandocano macrumors regular

Using iPad 1 or 2??

16. OmegaRed1723 macrumors 6502

OmegaRed1723

Either. I had gestures on my iPad1 using the iOS 4.3 betas, and now on my iPad2 with the commercial release of iOS 4.3.

Gizmodo pointed out that anyone can activate the gestures by purchasing Xcode through the Mac App Store for $5. You can circumvent the developer requirement by hitting cancel when the program asks for your developer credentials. I can't verify whether that works, as I have an active developer account. But the gestures as indeed still here, and for me are the best feature of iOS 4.3 by a wide margin.

17. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

Using the wifi only 16gb ipad1 they work wonderfully. I did just as the poster above me said. By hitting cancell when it asks you for the information you get the gestures and can enjoy you awesome ioad as you never did before.

18. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

Xcode 4 is $4.99 in the App Store.

19. advan031 macrumors 6502

I didn't read any of the instructions when I did so I entered my mobile me acct and it said it said I don't belong to any dev team, turned on debugging and I still got the multi finger gesture:D.

20. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Xcode is a heck of a download (4GB+) and install (10GB+) for just this - but gestures are pretty cool. ;)

21. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

Well. I bought it but it's not downloading. Damn.

I guess Pharaoh's Army is trying to enable gestures. :)

22. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Free Xcode will do. I downloaded (4GB) but it's on your Mac disks apparently. Anyone been able to use that version to enable gestures? I would've tried it but was already nearly done downloading when I found out it was on the disks.

23. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

Wow. This works pretty well. I don't understand why they'd have disabled them.

Let's hope we don't find out...the hard way! :)

24. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

The reason they are disabled is because it's a feature still in development. It conflicts with some apps, in fact Garageband does not work very well with it enabled because you can't do more than 3 finger flicks on the instruments.

25. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Most of the new gestures are in iOS 4.3.

You don't need a developer account or jail braking or anything like that. Just update your iPad from 4.2.x to 4.3 with iTunes like normal.

Once you've updated, open any app, say "Calendar" for instance. Now place 4 fingers on the screen and swipe upwards. Calendar will move up slightly, revealing the task switcher bar. Slide 4 fingers down to go back to Calendar.

If you had other apps running, you can switch to those by putting 4 fingers on the screen and swiping right (next app) or left (previous app).

It's very handy and makes multitasking a bit easier. Saves wear and tear on the menu button as you don't need to double press it anymore.