iOS 4.3 has bricked my iPhone 4, WTF ?!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sk3pt1c, Mar 9, 2011.

1. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

i have an iPhone 4 (GSM) 32GB so when i read that 4.3 is out i naturally hit the upgrade button (my phone is not and never has been jailbroken).
    iTunes downloaded 4.3 and was almost done installing it when i got a 1013 and my phone was put into "plug into iTunes" mode...
    i have since tried it again, restarted, tried different USB ports, tried to manually download and option-restore to 4.2.1 or 4.3 and nothing happens, near the end of the process i get the same 1013 error...

help? :(:confused:

2. dread macrumors 6502a

3. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Check your HOSTS file for any apple.com entries.

4. dread macrumors 6502a

5. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Mine too, it seems to have something to do with the authorization servers, after I tried the third restore it went. Still a PIA, as I had to do a full restore which took the better part of an hour. Far from impressed, updates that screw crap up were the hallmark of MS, is this Apple catching up.

6. chiggah macrumors member

Same problem here - I'm pissed off

I never jailbroken my iphone4. Updated my itunes and iOS 4.3 as per normal, but now I'm stuck in recovery mode with the itunes logo and cable icon on my iphone 4. Now it's saying "itunes has detected an iphone in recovery mode. You must restore this iphone before it can be used". Wtf ??

Have tried different USB ports

Tried clicking restore but I got the error

Went into DFU mode. Now my apple device is not recognized in device manager, can't locate driver..

[​IMG]

Any help would be greatful !!

7. dread macrumors 6502a

10th restore attempt and still nothing. My phone is a brick

8. tricolore macrumors newbie

Might have a solution

Ever since I bought my iPhone 4 in September I have received iTunes errors during official updates. I have never jailbroken this phone, but my old iPhone 3G was jailbroken/unlocked - so maybe there is some correlation. Still irritating because it is a totally legit phone.

Anyways to make a long story short, I knew from my old jailbreaking days that if you want to get your iPhone out of recovery mode you can download TinyUmbrella (program used to save SHSH blobs) and within the program there is an option to "kick out of recovery mode." After hitting that your phone should boot up and finish the updating process.

This has always worked for me (just did it an hour ago when I updated to 4.3). Hope it helps.

9. nashpdotcom macrumors member

and what if u dont have the SHSH saved before it gets stuck like this?

10. chiggah macrumors member

same problem here

I tried all ways with tinyumbrella and manual restored to 4.2.1 via itunes... my phone gets the 1013 error.. wtf ?

11. nashpdotcom macrumors member

this just worked for me!

1. Go to your "Applications" folder
    2. Go to your "Utilities" folder
    3. Launch "Terminal"
    4. Type "sudo nano /etc/hosts" (without quotes) and hit return
    5. Enter your password
    6. Use the down arrow key to find the "gs.apple.com" entries. Once the cursor is in front, make sure you comment out the line(s) by entering "#" (no quotes) in front of the text
    7. Save the file by pressing CONTROL+O on the keyboard
    8. Exit the nano editor by pressing CONTROL+X on the keyboard
    9. Restore your iDevice

12. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

this just worked for me, my iphone has been restored and is restoring the backup i took just before updating now, thank you so much dude!
    i hope i get everything back the way it was but at least i don't have a very expensive brick in my hands!:):):)

13. iArch, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011

iArch macrumors regular

iArch

Something's amiss with 4.3, 10.2.1, or both.

Just happened to me, too. Stock 3GS, never been modded in any way, has worked perfectly since debut day.
    MBP with iTunes 10.2.1 and OS X 10.6.6.

First restore from backup attempt failed and claimed phone was synced to another library. Terrific. Phone showed a few of my previous apps on various scattered pages. This, despite the apps sync box not being checked during first restore.

It still thinks my music is synced to another phone, so I've left that for another time and just reinstalled my apps. I'll eventually have to rebuild my many previously carefully sorted pages and folders, but it's late and I'll settle for a functioning phone for tomorrow's busy work day.

There's another thread on the same topic in the general iPhone forum and it should be merged into this thread.

This is complete BS. :mad:

14. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

balls...

that sucks dude...

i'm still waiting on the sync to finish (got lots of music that needs to be re-converted to 128bit) to be able to check if everything is as was or if i've lost app data and folder structure... will update when it's done...

15. mepnyc1 macrumors newbie

Heavens be praised

Thank you thank you thank you a thousand times !!!

This was a complete and utter PIA

Thank you MacRumors and nashpdotcom

16. SweetestDeals macrumors newbie

And what if you're using a Windows PC?? (Windows 7 here.)

17. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

From the other thread that was linked above:

“How to Fix Error Code 1013:

Windows:
    Step 1. Start –> Programs –> Accessories
    Step 2. Run Notepad or WordPad
    Step 3. Click “Open..” from File menu.
    Step 4. Browse to Windows/System32/drivers/etc
    Step 5. In “files of type:” select all documents
    Step 6. Open “hosts”
    Step 7. Delete all line that has “gs.apple.com” or something like that
    Step 8. Hit Save
    Step 9. Restore your device.
    ”

Hope this helps :)

18. joshola macrumors newbie

So I restored my phone but now my computer isn't seeing the device...... I've been trying to fix this all morning and I have no idea what to do now. So now I'll ask...... Help please :-/

19. yymca6 macrumors member

can't enter password

Hi,
    I enterd the command in terminal, got the password prompt. Can't type no character on the password line. Tried both with my iTunes account password then with the password I have to enter when installing new apps, nothing works. What am I doing wrong?:confused:
    Thanks

20. No ice please macrumors 6502

If it's in Recovery mode (USB cable with iTunes logo) You can use Tiny Umbrella to kick it out.

21. yymca6 macrumors member

Tiny Umbrella exit the recovery process but ig oes back

Tiny Umbrella got me out of the Recxovery problem. I plugged the iPhone back and got back to square one. Still in recovery mode.???

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

So you never jailbroke your phone, but someone on your Mac ran a tool like TinyUmbrella that modified your /etc/host file?!?

23. yymca6 macrumors member

Connected to another computer then..

Then iPhone was restored and now worked. So I plugged it back on my main computer and in order to retrieve my last backup, I tried once again to restore hoping it would go through and I would save some time on rebuilding the configuration of my iphone from scratch.
    Restore did not work and got back to the -1013 error. I understand now that i really have to access the Terminal and correct that gs.apple.copm problem. When prompted for password what password should I enter? The iTunes Store one?
    I am really confused with that.:confused:

24. SweetestDeals macrumors newbie

I missed that--THANK YOU!! All is well now!

25. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

You need your Mac OS account password, not your iTunes one. This is the account password you enter when new apps need authentication to install (the ones that don't just install by dragging and dropping in the Applications folder).
    When you are asked for your password on terminal, you enter that.
    You won't see any characters or stars, just type it and press Return and you should be able to move to the next step... :)