iOS 4 Battery Life

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Chupa Chupa, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Just curious if anyone has noticed a change in battery life. Maybe I'm just misremembering but seems I'm getting significantly worse battery life w/ the GM Candidate than w/ 3.1.3.

2. rt23 macrumors newbie

Yeah I've been getting bad battery life ever since switching to iOS 4. My iPhone was is a 3Gs model. A full charge on the phone cannot last a day for me, but then again I am a heavy user. But still, its not comparable to the battery life of the old OS. I am seriously contemplating about switching back to 3.1.3.

3. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

what kind of usage are you guys getting out of it? 5 hours?

4. maschinetheist macrumors newbie

maschinetheist

My phone usage is on 1 hour 46 minutes, and 13 hours 32 minute standby with 68% of battery left to go on a January 2010 3GS. Just one phone call, a couple text messages, news reading, etc. Seems a little bit worse than 3.1.3.

5. Bueller007 macrumors member

Battery life is significantly worse if you're in an area with Wi-Fi because under iOS 4, it remains connected to the network while it's "asleep".

The battery in my iPod Touch emptied out almost completely last night.

6. maschinetheist macrumors newbie

maschinetheist

I have wifi disabled on my 3GS. As well as Push, Location Services, screen dimmed and "Auto-Dimming" on, basically the usual battery saving shebang. Messing around with my calendar for a minute brought me down 1-2%.

7. Chupa Chupa thread starter macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I charged up my phone to 100% yesterday before I left to go to a game (about 4:30). I talked for 30 min. Manually fetched email a couple of times. Browsed the web for maybe 10%. When I got home at 10p I had about 54% left.

If this is "normal" for this build, I'm wondering (hoping) this is something they will iron out before the shipping version next week... thought not a huge deal personally since I'll be selling my GS to buy a 4.

8. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I haven't changed anything since upgrading from 3.1.2 -> 4.0. Left all the settings as they were.

2h 26m usage, 6h 26m standby. Battery is at 39% already. This is worse for me. In the past I'd still have around 50% by this time.

9. joshh2o macrumors member

Wifi also unstable???

I have also noticed that wifi signal strength is irregular, the signal strength bars go from three to one even when my iPod is still.

10. freonx macrumors newbie

Yeah i have same problem with battery issue under iOS 4, what i see it drains the battery very quickly, for example if i had 80% battery remaining in the status bar at iphone and if i plug the phone into my mac it changes quickly to 94%. Plus i used to get at least 7 hrs and now i get only 5 or even less if i start browsing the web and chatting on beejive.

11. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (OS4.0b3): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

No problems on a 3GS restored from a 3.1.2 backup (my wife's phone) ...

12. mb25667 macrumors member

I think the battery needs to be re-calibrated with a new OS installation.

I let mine discharge to about 5% after it dropped 40% while I was sleeping, then let it charge back to 100%. I haven't had any issues today whatsoever. It seems just as good as I was getting with 3.1.3

13. Chupa Chupa thread starter macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Interesting. I'll have to try that too. I'll report back for the curious.

14. mrcemento macrumors newbie

My situation:
    - iPhone 3Gs and iOs 4 GM
    - notifications disabled
    - 2 mail accounts, pull every 15 minutes
    - 4 calendar accounts sync with Google, pull every 15 minutes
    - gps disabled
    - apple unlock iphone
    - not officially supported carrier (italian Wind)

On standby, with 3G network enabled (weak signal), the battery loses about 14% every hour. Setting the Edge only mode, it drains a 3% battery / hour.

In my case, the trouble seems in the continuous shifting between 3G and edge networks. After iOs4 I've noticed a general weakening of network signal. Moreover, recalibration doesn't fix the problem.
    With 3.1.3 firmware my battery in equals conditions (on 3G network) could last up to 2 days.

15. goudvarken macrumors newbie

apple unlock iphone? tell me more...

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

When the OS3 was released, anyone who restored from a OS2 backup got noticeably worse battery life compared to those who set up as a new device.

17. mrcemento macrumors newbie

I mean factory unlock. No jb.

I have updated my iPhone, I'll make a new installation and I'll make you know.

18. carter69 macrumors newbie

iOS 4 Battery Life

I have also noticed that IOS 4 sucks the battery much faster.

Did a test today with 2 3gs phones, wifi enabled, 3g, no apps running, sitting in the same spot in the window and after pulling from the charger, pressing the button to shut off scree and starting the timer, after 41 min, the stock 3gs was 100% battery, the IOS4 was 97%.

Later after 1 phone call for 10 min, battery was 86%.

19. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Day 1 of my pre-release iOS4 and I have to chime in as well and say that I can tell my battery life is shortened. The phone sure seems faster and more responsive though which I quite like.

Maybe I do need to do a full battery drain and charge and see if that'll help out anything.

20. mrcemento macrumors newbie

I've upgraded another iPhone to iOs4 (3gs 32 gb) Vodafone branded (apple officially supported italian carrier).
    Same network mess and frequent jumping between edge and utms network.
    IMHO battery draining is due to overall network reception shortage.

21. mbob macrumors member

My initial reaction was it was using more battery in stand-by. But when I used it for about 2 and a half hours surfing and AIM chatting it seemed to be fine leaving me at 70%.

So I also turned on Notifications today since I never used them in the past due to the battery drain. It seems to work better on iOS4 for me and doesn't change things much.

22. mb25667 macrumors member

Yeah, remember, calibrating the battery isn't doing anything to the battery itself, it's teaching the OS how to read the battery life based on your usage.

And yes...for a major OS revision like this...it's better to set it up as a new phone rather than restore a backup with old OS3 settings.

23. jersey macrumors regular

I installed and jb a 3gs on ios4. It was set up as a new phone, notifications are off, and my battery life is horrid. I let the battery run down to 4% twice and it hasnt helped.

Just chiming in.

24. mb25667 macrumors member

I'm taking back my previous statement...WiFi does seem to be an issue. Turn it off when you're not using it. I'm doing much better now.

25. pulsecheck macrumors newbie

I am having the same problems with iOS 4. I upgraded my 3GS from 3.1.3 and noticed the fast battery drain right away. It's so bad that I just wanna downgrade. Anybody know how to downgrade?