iOS 4 brought so many improvements!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cod3rror, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I was going over some old Apple keynotes today, iOS 4 keynote specifically, back then still called iPhone OS 4, I forgot just how many new features and improvements Apple introduced with it, made me think "How did iOS 3 even work?".

It brought so many fundamental features like:

Multitasking
    Folders
    Custom backgrounds
    Redesigned Dock area
    Unified inbox
    Game Center
    iBooks
    iAds(well...)

And tons of little tweaks, like for example tapping and holding on a parsed phone number in the Notes app now offers to add it to create a new contact, add to existing contact, text message, call. It did not do that in iOS 3, as I recall only calling and adding to contacts was offered.

If iOS 5 is of the same magnitude of an update as iOS 4, it's going to be pretty huge!

Just some screenshots of features...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Yes it did
    *crickets*

3. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

These are great features that were introduce in iOS 4 but iOS 5 needs to be different in that there needs to be a new look to the OS.

I know for sure they are going to do something for the lockscreen but what about the home page? Is folders the best they got?

4. Bentroxell macrumors member

5. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

What about a decent notification system and real multitasking? :rolleyes:

6. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Notification system will be fixed in iOS 5 but "real multitasking." Why would you want apps running in the background killing the battery? I do hope they implemented background audio playback for HTML5 webpages like what MP7 is doing with their new update but besides that Apple did multitasking right for a mobile device.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Whoa, dude ... use the code instead of the [img] code.

[quote="lsvtecjohn3, post: 12387072"]Notification system will be fixed in iOS 5.[/QUOTE]
    Source? :rolleyes:

8. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Long overdue, and truly needed / required. But then again, it may be more than Apple is capable of. :eek:

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

10. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I have to say- of all the crazy things Apple has and has not done with their iOS and their hardware...... if their isn't a new notification system in iOS 5 I will actually be shocked. It is the number 1 thing people complain about and by now Apple has to have gotten the idea. Right? Please?!

11. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

It's 2011 and the fact that iOS has a barbaric notification system only indicates that Apple has no idea. I wouldn't be surprised if nothing is radically improves on iOS5, Apple moves at a snails pace as far as improvement goes.

12. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

13. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

maybe I don't understand...but I can run video/sound in Safari when I switch away from it. I just have to go the multitasking bar and hit play.

14. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Contrary to belief, i think iOS 4 and iPhone 4 shouldn't get the banner "Biggest leap since the original" because every new iPhone is, even the 3GS was the biggest leap since the original. If the iOS 5 rumors are true, and god help Apple if it isn't, then we're in for the actual biggest leap since the original. Add to that a possible larger display, Dual core processor, faster GPU, better camera, and some other new feature like NFC, in the next iPhone and you got yourself the real biggest leap since the original.

A year from now the iPhone 6 will really really be the biggest leap. :rolleyes:

Anyway, iOS 5 is rumored to be huge, and my bets are that it'll make the iOS 4 upgrade seem miniscule.

15. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I guess what I meant by my post is, if iOS 5 doesn't have some major notification improvements I am going to be severely disappointed. iOS 4 was a very big leap from 3, but the things they missed were so obvious, like the notifications. I can only hope that they held off on upgrades because they had something very special planned for iOS 5.

I don't really know what to expect- Apple has a habit of amazing me while simultaneously disappointing me. I know the rumors are always better than the reality- so I'll just say if we can get new notifications, and maybe a couple more of the rumored features (we all know we aren't going to get them all) I'll be happy.

16. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

You can listen to music from iTunes, Pandora ect and use the internet but, you can't not run video and sound from Safari and multitask.

17. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I've done sound. I just did it yesterday. Listened to a radio show online while looking at my twitter app. It paused when I switched away, but I just went to the controls in the multitasking bar and hit play.

18. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Ok so you can play music but like you said when you switched away it paused. I hope Apple fixes that were it continues to play in the background when you switch away. Like how it does when your playing music from your iTunes.

19. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

No.... It needs to stay the same. If I want to listen to the audio I can go and make it play. It shouldn't be standard as I've been watching something on YouTube; waiting for my wife and when she's ready I just hit the home button and I'm off. If it were the way you're describing then I would have to end and mute the sound. iOS multitasking is just fine. If you need to have a certiN app running in the background, contact the app developer. iOS give you the option to code it in if you want it.