iOS 4 Not Capitalizing "I"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DigitalN., Jul 13, 2010.

1. DigitalN. macrumors member

Is there anyone else that has this issue? I searched around and found a thread on a different site from a year or two ago but that is an old OS and I figure Apple would have had it figured out by now. I can never type a message without having the OS put in a lower case I. This is extremely annoying and can be remedied by me typing really slowly.

It seems whenever I type relatively fast (which isn't that fast for me since it's a touchscreen keyboard) it totally skips over capitalizing I, however it doesn't hesitate to auto correct other things I don't want it to).

Does anyone have a solution to this? It is extremely frustrating as it makes me look like an idiot in my opinion, all because I don't want to take the extra 5 seconds per instance to highlight, delete, type it in and then send. Super annoying.

I thank you in advance for any help that you might give me!

2. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

I actually noticed this too, but the 3GS w/ iOS 4 is my first iPhone so I didn't know that it was an OS 4 change. When I type 'I' it doesn't capitalize automatically.

3. coasterider macrumors regular

Moving from my Blackberry to the iPhone 4 I feel the iOS 4 is not up to par with the Blackberry in terms of the auto-text functions. My biggest problem is when it decides not to put a period in and I have to manually do it. The "i" is not automatic like you said too.

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

5. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Methinks you're doing it wrong.

Do me a favor, type this without stopping or backspacing:

Hello I don't know what I am doing.

Like I said, you shouldn't have to backspace, if you do, then you're messing up, try again. Try until you complete that sentence without pressing backspace at all.

Now, you should get two capital Is. If the above does not work, then something is very odd with your dictionary. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Keyboard Dictionary.

Then try again.

6. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

The period is an option you can turn on: Settings > General > Keyboard > "." Shortcut.

7. DigitalN. thread starter macrumors member

I typed exactly what you said there, no errors or backspacing and it did not capitalize either I characters. I will try resetting the dictionary and try again.

8. DigitalN. thread starter macrumors member

I reset the dictionary and appears all is well, I am curious as to why that happened in the first place it must have saved that I like lower case I characters when I type quickly. Anyways thank you for the help and hopefully this issue doesn't crop up again.

EDIT: I lied. It is still having the issue even after the reset. Is there any other options?

9. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

Interesting - I did this and it did capitalize the "I". The times it doesn't capitalize it, I wonder if it is something I am doing when making corrections, making it think that I do not want it capitalized.

10. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

So what happened? You obviously at first thought that it was okay and then...?

I almost want to see video of you typing this.

Also, what program are you typing this into?

11. DigitalN. thread starter macrumors member

Alright I will try and snag a video of it happening, however all I have is a crappy webcam besides the iPhone so we will see how it goes. I will get back to you.

12. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Exactly. I can make it type a lower case "I" by doing this:
    Type Hi, then press spacebar, now type i, it should correct, press space then backspace twice (backspacing the space and the I), now type i again and press space.

Not capitalized. (by design)

13. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Wait, before you do this: Are you typing this into an Apple app? Like Notes?

Keep in mind, third party apps have control how to handle text corrections in textfields. Be sure to test this in Notes.

14. DigitalN. thread starter macrumors member

15. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Put a shirt on :p
    Thats very odd man. Even after a reset too.. trry slowing down, you shouldnt have to but see if it works.

16. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Hrmm.. Evidently You do know what you're talking about :)

Well, weird. Short of restoring the phone, I guess this could be a bug, but I would've expected others to have complained about it.

I'm still thinking about it.

And, just to be sure, I typed that phrase a couple times here in Messages and had no issues. This is on my iPhone 4.

17. DigitalN. thread starter macrumors member

@ Benji222 I have tried slowing down and it does work better, if I type with one hand I am slow enough that it recognizes and changes all of the characters properly.

@Matthew I am going to hit the bed and I will check this thread out tomorrow after work so if you have any suggestions just post them up. I would rather not reset the whole device but if it comes down to it I suppose it isn't THAT big of a deal, just a minor pain in the butt.

18. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Ahh if it does capitalize when you slow down. Try a restart.
    A hard reset, home and power button. Lemme know how that works.

Ps: What phone model (2g, 3g, 3gs, 4)
    What software(2.x,3.x,4.0?)

P,PS: Gettign sleepy. Hurry :p. I think I may have solved the problem haha

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Do a restore. Sounds like the autocorrection is lagging.

20. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Okay, I just figured it out and yes you're right. There is a bug in 4.0.

Here's a way to test it: Put your thumbs on Space and the letter I. Now alternate slowly between the two, removing your thumb before pressing the other button. No problems.

Now: Overlap your presses. Press I and then right before you let up off I, press space, this will advance your text insertion point (caret) and not correct the spelling.

I also just tested this on a 3GS with 3.1.3, and it works ask expected, with no errors, even while overlapping.

Time to submit this bug.

Updated: Submitted

21. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Man knows his *****.
    Absolutely correct.

The iPhone does not have multitouch texting. This is why.

SORRY I DIDNT RESIZE.

[​IMG]

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Same with me, no problems.

23. SonoViva macrumors 6502

SonoViva

My autocorrect has been so crappy since upgrading to iOS 4. No wonder, if they removed some sort of functionality. Thanks to whoever submitted the bug, this has been driving me crazy.

24. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Is this why I suddenly suck at typing on my iPhone 4? I remember somewhere along the line, Apple updated the OS to support better multitouch for the keyboard. I want to say that this happened sometime in 2008. I keep getting hung up when I type too fast on iOS4. I type around 40wpm on average. Hmmm. This would be a huge problem on my iPad, which I'm using to type this right now.

25. DigitalN. thread starter macrumors member

I feel proud to say that I have discovered a bug.

Thanks for submitting it for me as well, hopefully it gets fixed in short order. It isn't a killer bug though so I won't fret about it, but at least I know it is not just me that this happens to.