iOS 4 wi-fi problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Biker, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Biker macrumors regular

My ipod touch says its connected to wifi but it just doesn't work sometimes, i need to turn wi-fi off and turn it on again to make it work, anyone has this problem?

2. CBeckstrand macrumors member

Be glad you can connect at all. My 3G touch will not connect to any wifi after the upgrade. I have tried 4 different access points that worked fine with 3.1 and none of them will connect.

3. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

If this is an problem I hope its fixed for the iPad. The ipad has enough wifi problems that Steve jobs fails to even fix anytime soon

4. kiwisteve macrumors newbie

Similar problem here. Starts working after reconnecting to the wifi network but stops shortly after. I've also noticed the signal strength meter varying widely despite sitting within a few metres of the router. No problems before the upgrade so I'm going to try reverting to the previous firmware until the next release

5. Biker thread starter macrumors regular

6. psxguru macrumors 6502a

Mine connects fine but I've noticed as well that the signal strength indicator seems to show less of a signal than before and seems to fluctuate more.

I don't know if this means it's more accurate/updates more than before!

7. gdevitry macrumors member

Reset your Network settings?

Tap Settings
    Tap General
    Tap Reset
    Tap Reset Network Settings

Had to do this for my wifey's iphone.

8. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

+1 about the reset.

9. Biker thread starter macrumors regular

I'm having the same problem again and i did reset the settings, i am now sitting right next to my router:mad:

10. Biker thread starter macrumors regular

11. Matt-Man-Plus macrumors regular

I see the same thing with mine but I don't see a drop off in actual speed, even when it shows I have only one bar in places in my home where I had full bars before the upgrade.

12. fernando.kreutz macrumors member

fernando.kreutz

if nothing worked yet, try changing your wireless channel in your access point, in US, if i'm not mistaken, it is allowed to use from 1 to 6 and 11.

13. AppleMactablet macrumors regular

AppleMactablet

"Similar problem here. Starts working after reconnecting to the wifi network but stops shortly after. I've also noticed the signal strength meter varying widely despite sitting within a few metres of the router. No problems before the upgrade so I'm going to try reverting to the previous firmware until the next release."

EXactly the Same Here.

14. Kevenly macrumors regular

Kevenly

My 2G iPod Touch's WiFi has been ruined ever since the update. It was perfect before the update, and for the last year, and immediately following the update it fluctuates wildly and disconnects constantly.

There are more and more people writing about it at the official Apple Discussion Forums now.

I tried everything in the first few days as far as forgetting and resetting network settings on the iPod, restore, etc, nothing worked. I tried everything you can possibly imagine in messing with my router (all other wifi devices continue to work fine).

One person claimed to have downgraded to iOS 3 and had his WiFi return to normal functioning.

One person's iPod no longer even registers that his WiFi hardware exists in his iPod.

Every thread ends up with a guy who keeps telling people to reset and reconfigure etc etc but that doesn't work for anybody. Most of us do all those things first before we come to a forum anyway. It's not in the router, it's something wrong with iOS.

Hopefully Apple fixes it, and it's not one of those things like they claim to fix it but never really do. Either that or let us go back to OS 3.

Even Safari and the App Store crash constantly under iOS 4. It's a mess for me, and many others.

15. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Have you tried to switch back to 3.1.3.? If not heres a link. http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

16. MhonThong macrumors newbie

I am facing the same problem. Normally IP address for all clients in my home network should be 10.0.x.x. but on my 3G iPhone shows 169.254.243.133. I try to reset all network many times but it does not solve the problem.

I have try to connect other wifi networks, office and coffee shop, it still can not connect to the network and IP address is still the same 169.254.243.133.

What should I do next?

17. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

No offense, but why is this in an ipod touch forum?

18. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I downgraded my 2nd gen itouch back to 3.1.2 because of this issue. No problems with wi-fi now...

19. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Glad to know. :)

20. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I think it's a Power Saving feature

I was also annoyed that my iPod Touch 2nd Gen's wifi signal has dropped dramatically after the iOS4 update. I've tried everything and no go. What I have noticed is that it drops down to one bar but never really disconnects from my router. When I use anything internet related on the iPod the signal goes full strength. Opening Safari and immediately accessing a web page returns the signal to full. Using Mail returns the signal to full. Using the iTunes store and Skype also returns the signal to full. As soon as I stop using anything web related the signal drops down to one bar.
    So as far as using the iPod Touch I have no problems with any dropped signals so I've come to the conclusion that it's a power saving feature of iOS4 to protect the battery from draining. I'm just asking for others here to check their iPod Touch and see if it behaves the same as mine.

21. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I guess the only solution is to switch back.

22. Kevenly macrumors regular

Kevenly

I have had a hunch since Monday that his to do with them perhaps lowering the WiFi power to compensate for increased battery usage of the OS. However, my iPod literally disconnects completely and comes back. Sometimes it comes back without an IP address at all. It's behaviors is chaotic and unstable. The entire WiFi icon in the status bar completely disappears and comes back, sometimes flickering on and off like crazy. If it is power saving, they're doing it wrong.

But I don't have mine getting full bars when using apps and then going back down when I stop either, it never stops fluctuating. In fact, the more I use it the worse it gets. I can't be any closer to the router than being in the same room with it.

23. CBeckstrand macrumors member

I have the exact same issue on my touch 3g 32GB. I was up at the apple store dropping off my brother last night to stand in line for an iphone and could not connect to there open wifi. I got the same 169.x.x.x address. I have tried to assign the IP address manually with no change. There is no way they can tell me this is an issue with the access point because I can not connect to theres!! The thing that really bothers me is that I can not downgrade because a I have a newer model so I am stuck until they decide to release another update.

24. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Hmmmm.... Are you still under warranty? :)

25. CBeckstrand macrumors member

Yes, I actually purchased applecare just so I could call Apple and have them tell me to wait for another update or downgrade it!! I want to schedule a genius bar appointment but the apple store is a 45 minute drive each way. I don't want to drive that far and be told the same thing as apple support.