iOS 5.0.1 update - no security patch?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by headcase, Nov 10, 2011.

1. headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

Hmm... based on Apple's release notes, there's no longer any reference to any security patches with this maintenance release. Will be interesting to see if the hackers will Tweet any news to confirm one way or another.

Keeping fingers crossed Apple didn't plug any holes, and perhaps an untethered jailbreak for 5.0.1 will be released sooner vs. later...

2. hibanzai macrumors member

+1 I'd really like a battery fix and a JB, not one or the other.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

Dev-team has already told us not to update to 5.01. ;) there are a couple of threads already posted on it. Ot's a pretty big flaw they have to patch it. More then likely surik will patch the hole via Cydia tweek.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, the way they rushed out this battery bug fix I doubt they went into detail with closing the exploit mentioned before.
    I really hope we can JB untethered this 5.0.1 cause my battery sucks on 5.0

5. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I would be very surprised if you have not patched the Charlie Miller found vulnerability since they have been aware of it for at least two weeks.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

We can always hope though:D
    Im sure the Dev Team will let us know soon if its patched or not.

7. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

i

i actually downloaded it and didnt install it because i just realized it may screw my jb up i hope it doesnt auto install

8. chrfr macrumors 603

It's patched. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5052

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Damn it, figures :D
    Oh well, still on 5.0 and waiting.
    I pick my JB and all my cool JB packages over better battery life for now.

10. snowwhite007 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Dev team will hopefully just put a cydia package in for battery fix. Charlie millars exploit has also made it so much easier for devs to jb 4s and ipad 2 according to pod2g

11. duffsrp macrumors member

So do I need to wait to update if I'm at 4.3.3 still or should I do the tethered JB on 5.0 while I still can?

12. dgstan macrumors 6502a

I'd be interested to see if this really addresses the battery issue or if it just changes the sensitivity of the battery meter, like their antenna-gate "fix".

13. PhantomZone macrumors 6502

I think your choice has already been made for you! Reports are coming in that Apple have stopped signing 5.0 already :eek:

14. duffsrp macrumors member

Thanks PhantomZone. I guess I'll keep waiting. Hope they can do a untethered 5.0.1 JB/unlock.

15. bmms8 macrumors 68020

im on beta 2. i dont know if the hole is closed or not, and i probably wont know im assuming. i guess i wont upgrade to the release version of 5.0.1

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Me too, I really hope its not another PR fimware fix like they did with the prox sensor and antenna issues before.

17. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I'm staying on 5.0 being that I'm waiting for an untethered JB. I don't want to update and a week later the untethered comes out for 5.0 only.

19. hibanzai macrumors member

Is that possible? To release the same battery fix from 5.0.1 to 5.0 in Cydia?Surely that solves everything then.

20. DarkFlame macrumors regular

What's the advantage of waiting for the untethered? I'm probably going to do the same, because I keep hearing it's the best thing to do. I am just not exactly sure why.

I just want to make sure AT&T does not find out a I jailbroke and rat me out to apple or something. I want SBSettings, and i have give up my warranty for it? Ouch....no thanks.

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Tethered = Can't reboot unless connected to your computer via USB. So if a crash happens or iPhone reboots by itself, your screwed until you connect to USB.

Untethered = Can reboot like normal.

BTW .... AT&T doesn't care about JB, but they do care about data tethering with JB apps.

22. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

The development team said they had several exploits for iOS 5 already so just releasing a jailbreak for an outdated firmware makes little since. I'm sure there will be the small percentage that remains on 5.0, but I myself including many others updated in hopes of a better [battery] life.

23. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

All I know is if MuscleNerd is telling me to stay at 5.0, that's where I'm staying.

24. Synergie macrumors 6502a

I am not going to update to the 5.0.1 - however I do remember reading that they do have several different exploits so I am hoping that maybe they can come up with an untethered JB for 5.0.1 - I really hope that jail breaking won't come to an end with 5.0!!! Because if so, I might have to leave iPhones all together! I have lasted with my 4s so far ONLY because Siri has filled the gap of no weather and appointments on my lock screen. I can ask Siri for both from the lock screen. But it takes longer :( MISSING Lock Info!