iOS 5.0 and iPad 2 what to do

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by luiztfc, Jan 4, 2012.

1. luiztfc macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have an iPad 2 Wifi version with iOS 5.0 and I'm eager to jailbreak it. I'm aware of the news of a probable jailbreak for it in the next week but I don't know what I should do prior to it. What is a SHSH blob? Do I have to use tinyumbrella to backup it? Also, what's the signing window? Should I update my iPad 2 wifi to iOS 5.0.1?

Thanks!

2. zaxdude macrumors 6502

This is what I would do (and what I did when I was learning about jailbreaking): GOOGLE! :)

1. Go to google and search for "ios jailbreaking". Read about it.

2. Go to google and search for "what is an shsh blob". Read about it.

3. Go to google and search for "what is tinyumbrella". Read about it.

4. Go to google and search for "what is the shsh signing window". Read about it (although doing #2 above will probably answer this one)

5. Go to google and search for "Should I update my iPad 2 wifi to iOS 5.0.1". Read about it. Or, go to the "...when to update" thread in this forum and the answer will probably be there.

Or, you could search for terms like "tinyumbrella", "shsh", "jailbreak" in this forum and find tons of reading info. You need to read and learn and study before attempting a jailbreak. If you don't, you'll screw yourself over and be back on this forum asking how to get out of the hole you dug yourself into.

3. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

An SHSH blob is a signature unique to your iDevice that is necessary if you ever want to downgrade from the current iOS version to a previous version. You don't have to use Tiny Umbrella to save the SHSH blob(s), it is one of the many programs available for Mac/Windows that can do the job. The signing window is the period in which apple is still supplying the SHSH blob for a certain iOS version. Generally they are only supplying it for one version except during the brief period (2-3 days) after a new version is released. During that brief period you can get SHSH blobs for both the new version and the preceding version of iOS. Most likely the new jailbreak is going to be only for iOS 5.0.1 so I would update to it now and get it out of the way.

4. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I would upgrade to 5.0.1 now, download tinyumbrella and save the blobs, and if 5.0.2 comes out do not upgrade to it. When the jb comes out you'll be ready to use it, and if you ever need to restore you can use the blobs to reinstall 5.0.1 so you can re-jailbreak.

5. number84 macrumors 6502

Upgrade now as everyone close to the potential jailbreak is already advising people to upgrade. I'm sure there won't be a jailbreak for OS 5.0 for iPad2 now, so no harm to upgrade now. It's not like you're going to lose anything by upgrading.

6. geko29 macrumors 6502

To clarify this a bit further, it's unlikely there will be a jailbreak that REQUIRES 5.0 (and no higher). It's exceedingly unlikely that a vulnerability present in 5.0.1 is not also present in 5.0. The result is the same (no harm in upgrading), just don't want people to get the idea that they're screwed out of a JB if they stay on 5.0 and the signing window closes on 5.0.1.

7. number84 macrumors 6502

^ perhaps, but to be safe, wouldn't it be in your best interest to upgrade? unless you have some real valid reason to stay on 5.0 (which I can't think of).