iOs 5.0 leaked? watch this video

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TreRep, Apr 19, 2011.

1. bzz macrumors member

2. TreRep thread starter macrumors regular

TreRep

i think it is real... the source is the vietnamese site that leaked also the new macbook white and the macbook air... :eek:

3. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Interesting. I'm not sure how much I like that if it truly is a new way to multitask, but it is interesting nonetheless.

4. bzz macrumors member

It looks like a mod from someone else.

It is very boring if you have to click and hold each app you want to kill? :eek:

No way it is coming from apple :rolleyes:

5. icstars989 macrumors member

If thats supposed to be iOS5 and that's all they've done. I think I'll wait for 5.1 :rolleyes:

6. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Looks interesting but I doubt this is it. Would be too disappointing.

7. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

The Voice Memos and Calculator icons are from 3. something, close icon isn't red anymore, mute & lock controls...

8. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Looks kinda cool. Don't think its real due to the old calculator and voice memo icons pointed out above. Still cool to finally get some decent rumors going.

9. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Looks depressingly real enough. Mixing up UI bits that creates new problems while not solving any of the existing ones. Seems perfectly possible that it would come from the same company making mostly negative changes to OSX with Lion.

So we've got a fast switching menu that's less obvious as it uses thumbnails rather than icons (especially if an app isn't doing much or whitescreening) and still doesn't solve the most obvious problem in that it's so difficult to close an app (close, not background). The old menu requires holding down until wiggles appear, which was always stupid - dragging and dropping an icon outside the dock should kill it. And the entire backgrounding menu was clumsy in the first place - Windows Mobile never gained traction because it was so difficult to kill apps, and the same has become true of iOS - there needs to be a single gesture or button that kills an app when you're in it. Ideally the home button should do it and there should be another button for fast switching.

What's show here reminds me of the early change to the design of Mobile Safari that moved the search bar so it was always visable - a change that doesn't work, that nobody wanted and that was done in complete lack of comprehension of the existing problem and ended up making things worse.

Sigh. Hopefully a lot of other things are fixed a heck of a lot better than this. There's a Bluetooth icon, lets hope that's there and adds essential functionality.

Phazer

10. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

11. Fugue macrumors 6502

Although it's a step up from the current multitasking state, it's still severely lacking. Hopefully this is not real.

12. err404 macrumors 68020

I think it's 'real'. As in Apple is testing different ideas for task switching. The current system is terrible and wastes 3/4 of the screen real estate. That said there is no indication that this is iOS5. This could just as easily be an experimental UI for iOS4 (an OS is FAR more then the just the UI shell). Keep in mind we already know Apple is toying with new ideas task switching ideas (see the 4.3 iPad dev options).

Why does the guy in the video care so much about 'killing' tasks? I don't think I saw him actually switch tasks once.

13. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Heh, I like your ideas (the dragging the icon off the multi task bar to shut it and being able to shut the program from when it is open).

I fully agree. I think all they would have to do is let you press the home button for a few seconds til the program quit to quit out of the program (like fully quit out).

I know that's how you quit a frozen program (least in an old iOS version, if a program was freezing so much it was making your phone unresponsive a long button hit would quit it. But this was before multi tasking). Though looks like now that brings up voice control. I don't want to say triple tapping the button cause the button is so quirky now I'd be frustrated if I had to try to triple tap it (mine anyways is flakey about always recognizing that second click. Sometimes it doesn't even recognize a first click). Maybe a double click but you leave your finger on the button on the second click until the program quits.

But I completely agree there needs to be *something* to quit out of the program while you are in it. It's very clunky to have to go out of the program to quit, especially if you accidentally went into the wrong app. And, I don't like leaving apps in the background/running because I find despite what Apple claims it does slow my phone down a lot if a lot of apps accumulate and are running (iOS does not do a good job of managing apps on its own imho).

14. err404 macrumors 68020

Hold the Power button until the Power Off slider appears. Release the Power button and hold the Home button until app closes.
    (this change took place when Voice Control was introduced)

15. TreRep thread starter macrumors regular

TreRep

from 9to5mac.com :

Update: We’ve found a new video from the same source, this time showing off some of the device’s hardware: it’s 64 GB and obviously a prototype based on the camera and buttons designs. Oh, iOS 5 brings a brand-new home screen folders interface… it’s awesome!

Why we think it could be iOS 5: This particular phone is running an Apple-internal application called “Radar” in addition to a game called “Tough Fighter.” If you’re not familiar, Touch Fighter is a game Apple actually built to show off the iPhone’s accelerometer and graphics performance at one of their early SDK keynotes. Maybe they’ll be showing off the Gyro mixed with some 9X the graphics performance in Touch Fighter. Some of the settings menus also look pretty internal.

Could this be the “better-iPhone-4″ iPhone 5? It looks really snappy… It looks like the build number is an internal iOS 4 seed. This could pre-date the iOS 4 we have running on our phones.. we think not though. Apple could easily throw around numbers to fight off people finding prototypes and such.

Update 2: Facebook integration is here!? It’s probably integrated nicely with Media Stream for photo uploading and such. Cool. Thanks, Will Strafach, Stephen H, Piratx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gSqtubjTis&feature=player_embedded

16. WelshBluebird macrumors regular

No chance.
    Windows mobile had many other flaws which led to it not gaining traction. While the difficulty in killing apps was one of those flaws, it certainly was not the reason why it WM failed.

17. tigress666 macrumors 68040

1. That is clunkier than just tapping the home button and then double tapping to get the multi tasking bar up. I think my idea would be a much less clunky way of quitting out of an app.

2. That doesn't quit it out of the "multi-task" bar. I checked and it still lists it as one of the programs on the multi task bar. I realize that bar is also a list of apps I recently opened. But since I'm never sure which are actually running (except Final Fantasy II which just does not support multi-tasking so if you go to home you lost any progress you've made since your last save. I love you Square but why did you not support that?) and which are just telling me they've been opened before.

18. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Ugh, god no! I don't want facebook integrated with my phone. Keep it seperate thankyouverymuch. I don't need it having access to my phone (yeah, you say it won't... but this is Facebook... do you really trust them that much? Facebook is very sleezy and does everything possible in loopholes to get your information like changing settings and not telling people that they need to change their settings to *keep* their privacy settings *the same*. I'd say they are far worse than Google which people freak out about).

While I'm totally addicted to Facebook I admit, I trust them as far as I can throw my car.

19. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

So since they've integrated Spotlight with multitasking now, could the formerly Spotlight screen be used for notifications now?

Also I hope when you tap and hold to quit the app all apps get that red X.

And Facebook integration!? I So, SO, hope NOT!

20. err404 macrumors 68020

For the record I never forcefully quit apps*. An OS like iOS is designed to not require a task manager. If there is a problem with the implementation that requires the users to force quit, it needs to be fixed at the core of the OS.
    Making the user manage tasks is a poor workaround for OS/App issues.

*I do occasionally force quit TomTom, since it's quicker then actually canceling a route in progress. but thats more of an application quirk than an OS issue.

21. tigress666 macrumors 68040

As I said, I don't care what Apple claims, iOS does a crappy job of managing apps so I do it for it. If I don't my phone gets very laggy after a while. Easier to just keep up on it and only leave a few apps running.

And honestly, does it hurt to make a better interface for managing it on your own? If they make the OS do it well, fine, I won't have to use it. But it's nice to have that option and not have it be some hack job.

22. honeytoast macrumors regular

I think this is an alpha version of iOS 4 when they were trying to figure out the best way to do multi-tasking and folders. Also remember that Facebook integration was rumored in iOS 4 but this was before all of the MobileMe revamp rumors.

I think this is just an old prototype of the iPhone 4 with an alpha version of iOS 4.0.

23. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

In the second video at 1:35 or 1:36 you can see that it says 4.0

Video a fake s0n!