iOS 5.1.1 Battery life Improvement iPhone 4S ONLY

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Satnam1989, May 26, 2012.

?

Have you noticed an Improvement in your iPhone 4S's battery life with iOS 5.1.1?

1. Yes

52 vote(s)
    32.7%
  2. No

53 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Maybe/I can't tell

54 vote(s)
    34.0%
  1. Satnam1989, May 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012

Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Before you provide your input on the Poll Please Fully Charge your iPhone 4S, Remove it from charge and Immediately Manually "Slide to Power Off", Turn it back on and Use it for a full day then report to us because it makes a HUGE difference for those of you that aren't seeing it. The improvement is there. Maybe I should exclude iOS 5.1 because for some it improved the battery life back then and wouldn't show much now on 5.1.1 compared to us who came from 5.0.1.

Hey guys just wanted to say I have observed some excellent battery life on my recently upgraded iPhone 4S 64GB on iOS 5.1.1 and jailbroken.

I have another iPhone 4S 64GB as well and same thing, both have noticed excellent battery life. They both came with iOS 5.0.1 but second one we upgraded to 5.1 on first day after opening it. yesterday night did fresh install of iOS 5.1.1 and jail broke both. Our second one was on iOS 5.1 pretty much from day one and we had the same results in battery life but today have noticed great improvement as we charged both of them almost twice already(1 charge prior to jailbreak and one post). Yesterday I jailbroke around 12pm and both phones were around 60%-70% after our use from the morning, today we are doing much better.

I have the same amount of tweaks as I did before on iOS 5.0.1.

I took my iPhone 4S off charge last night at 1am and it was on standby until 8am this morning EST.

Day1: at the end of the day Battery = 1%
    - Usage: 8Hours, 4 Minutes
    - Standby: 1Day, 0 Hours
    - iPhone was unplugged with full charge @ 1:30am and wasn't used until 8am

Day2: at the end of the day Battery = 2%
    - Usage: 8hours on the dot
    - Standby: 14hours 25 Minutes
    - iPhone was unplugged with full charge around 3:30 am and used until approx 11:40pm

Applications running entire time: Mail, messages, settings, TextMe, TextNow, Twitter, Whatsapp, KiK, Safari and Phone (none of the Apps go DIM like how they go when iOS auto closes them)

Tweaks/Add-ons installed & Settings set:
    - Zephyr (running)
    - Springtomize 2 (running)
    - Navigate from maps (enabled/active only when maps application used i think)
    - AppLocker(currently disabled)
    - Bulletin (running)
    - GridTab for Safari (running)
    - Infinifolders (running)
    - Quicknote(for notification center) (running)
    - SB settings (running)
    - Action Menu and Action Menu Plus Pack (running)
    - BatteryDetective (running when used approx 2-3 times/day)
    - Bluetooth: OFF
    - WiFi: ON 100% of the time
    - 3G & DATA: ON 100% of the time
    - Location Services: ON for certain apps(About 15apps/40)
    - System Services: ON for 3/6 items
    - Notifications: ON for all Apps
    - Mail: 7 Accounts, 1 Push and 6 Fetch Manually
    - Brightness: 40-45%/Auto brightness: OFF
    - Cell Signal: usually 1-3 Bars due to my home location from the tower
    - Use GPS daily for 30-45Mins during my exercise walks
    - iCloud: Everything on EXCEPT PhotoStream
    - iMessage & FaceTime: ON
    - Twitter: ON/Signed In
    - Music: Listen to music for 30-45Mins during my exercise Walks Daily.
    - Never Respring even If I install something from Cydia, I do a full restart.

Have you noticed a battery life improvement? Share your findings/results.

Also I'm not sure if its just me or others also notice...but my iPhone 4S feels much faster/snappiner then it did before.. on iOS 5.0.1

Attached Files:

2. Isamilis macrumors 6502

I have same (or little bit worst) battery life compare to 501. May I know, did you restore backup from iTunes after fresh install & jailbreak?

Thanks.

3. Satnam1989 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes:
    - I restored to iOS 5.1.1 from iOS 5.0.1 Jailbroken via iTunes
    - Jailbroke my iPhone 4S with Absenthine version 2.0 on my Macbook Air
    - Restored my Cydia Tweaks/Ad-Ons after selecting "Setup as a new phone" followed by activation after the restart then restored my iPhone 4S from the backup I made just before restoring to iOS 5.1.1......everything came back exactly as is even my folders got re-organized the same way automatically.

4. raychelabcdefg macrumors newbie

I noticed a huge improvement! I play REALLY graphic intense games in my downtime and after a good amount of playing (30 min or so) it was only down 10% from a full charge. I'm liking this! :)

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

6. Isamilis macrumors 6502

That's exactly the same way as I did (except I used iMac). Even i only use fewer tweaks than you / before:
    - tweak: zephyr, sbsetting, removebg, iap
    - app: battery detective, protube, appinfo

Maybe I need to calibrate the batt.

7. It'sMyPrecious macrumors regular

I didn't notice the difference until I found this thread, and I checked my battery usage. Currently at 6 hrs 52 minutes of usage and 30% battery left. That's a marked improvement because in the past, I could barely get 6 hrs of usage before I ran the battery down to <10%.

8. Satnam1989 thread starter macrumors 65816

sorry I do have Batterydetective as well, Also I didn't calibrate my battery or anything.....

9. Russiaone macrumors 6502

Ya know, I'm going to say no. Just listening to music while at work brings my just-charged iPhone 4S down to 90 in less than an hour, whereas my previous 4 only saw a 1-5 percent hit in two hours time, just listening to music.

Oh, this is a 4S, just charged, in Airplane Mode.

10. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Seems about the same but I haven't been paying a lot of attention. Certainly not worse. I'll gather some data.

11. Satnam1989 thread starter macrumors 65816

Just uploaded a picture taken immediately after I plugged in my iPhone 4S.....yup I have definitely seen a battery life increase....normally my iPhone 4S would only last me 4.5-5 hours of usage with only 7-15hours Standby....today...until 1%....8Hours 4 minutes...I bet I could hav squeezed another few lol....

12. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

Mine has been shockingly better. As in, I can go twice as long as I used to without charging my phone.

13. Satnam1989, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2012

Satnam1989 thread starter macrumors 65816

I would like to add that today I noticed something:

- In the morning I woke up and unplugged my iPhone 4S from charger, immediately started using it with brightness still on 40% as always. After about 10minutes of twitter my battery life dropped 2%. Then I restarted my iPhone 4S and the battery indicator went back up to 100%....yes it didn't magically recharge and checking via Battery Detective battery still went down but this time slower.....When apple explained how the iPad 3 charge happened where it continuously let the battery drain small amounts while still plugged in at full to keep the battery healthy, I think something like that plays a role on the iPhone 4S which behaviour gets changed after a restart once you have fully charged.....I don't know but its something I observed because yesterday I did restart my iPhone now that I recall because I installed a tweak from cydia and instead of respiring which breaks the time counter I manually restarted it on the "respiring" screen.

- Also I feel that 'BatteryDetective' is no long really useful because so far today I have used my iPhone 4S for 27 minutes, standby for 1hours 21minutes since its been off charge and my battery still sitting at 100%. I checked battery detective, the 'Current Capacity' and 'MaxCapacity' have changed many times since I took it off charge and this is something that wouldn't usually change as often prior to iOS 5.1.1......I guess to notice these minor changes you have to look at these things quiet often.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I have been 24 hours since the update. I really only updated because I never got SHSH blobs for 5.0.1 so I figured it was time I did it now before Apple throws another minor update out and stops signing this firmware too. Not great to be running a devices with SHSH blobs saved if you rely on your jailbreak. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised by the battery life. I hadn't really had issues, per se, before, but the battery drains noticeably slower. Two hours into my work day I'd generally be at 80% by now (read news and things on the 20 minute commute to work while streaming music). Currently at 90%. Now this isn't really enough information for me to definitively say that 5.1.1 has increased my battery life significantly, but I certainly do hope it keeps up.

15. Satnam1989 thread starter macrumors 65816

Another day of long battery life, I'm completely convinced that it has improved. will post my results when it reaches <5% again

16. Jedii macrumors regular

jailbroken, no tweaks at all.

put my iphone 4s on 5.1.1 in airplane mode last nght at 74% and i woke up, it had no lost a single %

:eek::eek::eek:

Never in all my life of owning an iPhone has that happened.

17. Satnam1989 thread starter macrumors 65816

To those of you that aren't seeing a great battery life improvement....I don't know what your doing wrong but all I can say is that truly the battery life has improved drastically for me and some others....maybe you expect more or just don't pay enough attention to notice but daily I am getting 8hours of use now....onto my 3rd day sitting at 95% battery with 50minutes of usage + 4hours 42minutes of standby already. for me that is AMAZING. Brightness is always at 40-45%

18. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68000

MuGeN PoWeR

19. conartist4u macrumors regular

conartist4u

Tweaks/Cydia = Jailbroken

Too early to tell about battery time.....well it seems the same to me

20. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68000

MuGeN PoWeR

well i updated my 4s to 5.1.1 before the release of jailbreak! and i got the battery time of 1 day with heavy usage! then i jail broke and then it got down to regular around 12-15 hours of heavy usage! so i think jailbreak is the cause of bad battery timings:(

21. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

I was jb on 5.0.1 before and averaged about 6 hours of usage and charged every night. I'm on 5.1.1 now and am averaging about 8 hours of average use and charging every night.

Only difference is that I am not running Winterboard or SBSettings at the present time. But that'll change soon and will report back. I wanted to run a few more days without above apps 1st.

22. Satnam1989 thread starter macrumors 65816

Couple things I would like to point out:

1) Jailbreaking does not have any impact on your battery life....its the tweaks/add-ons that you install which may* impact the battery life....one that do cool effects yes they will eat your battery

2) I would appreciate if guys can try this: After your iPhone 4S has been fully charged, restart it. Then go on about your day and during the day don't install anything from cydia or do anything that will require you to "Respring" and share your battery time....because I have noticed a difference....for the past 4 days I have been getting amazing battery life only after I restart. Another example This morning I used my iPhone 4S for 14minutes with 1hours 46minute standby and my battery went down 3%. I restarted my iPhone 4S and the counter went back up to 100% and now the battery drain is slower. These are true facts and those of you that want to stick it to me regarding the research they did with battery detective....I have it too and I do occasionally monitor it my self but I don't find the program reliable enough to stick to it.

23. Jedii macrumors regular

Best improvement in battery life in all the iphones i've ever owned.

was on twitter for about 20 minutes, some instagram. Only lost 1%, usually see about 6%

24. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

25. Satnam1989 thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't know how you guys don't see it but Im on my 4th day sitting at 45% battery life, 4hours and 26 minutes of usage and 15hours 46minutes of Standby. I use my phone very fairly as in Bluetooth is off, no theme's, Wifi is on all day, 3G is on all day, brightness is always between 40-50% never higher. Vibration and Ringer is on all the time. at least 7 apps running at any given time mostly social. Push email for 1 account, rest is set on fetch manually which I check about 5-6 times per day plus the above mentioned tweaks/add-ons that I have listed in the main post. I don't cheap out on my iPhone's usage...I think I use it more than a lot of people out there for all purposes (Socializing, Emails, Work, School etc) each and every day.