Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by isoft7, May 7, 2012.
Think it might be a phony release to patch some holes found by Pod the other day?
Should I not upgrade to 5.1.1 If I want to JB?
Who knows... but in general terms, it seems best to never upgrade unless necessary if your intent is to jailbreak. With each release it gets more and more difficult.
Probably best to wait until we hear from pod2g or some of the other devs. 5.1.1 isn't going anywhere. I assume you're on 5.1?
In general, it isn't good to update until the JB guys say it is OK, especially if you have no SHSH blobs for your pre-A5 device, or if you have an A5 device where there is no way to downgrade.
Yeah on 5.1 on my iphone and ipad.
Yeah stick to 5.1 for the time being.
My concern is, what will the people who didn't update to 5.1 and want to update their A5 or A5X device and jailbreak that when the jailbreak is available, what will they do? Since there's currently no way to downgrade even if our SHSH blobs are saved on Cydia.
Definitely hold off on updating for now. Also, this was just tweeted by iP4pwn:
"DO NOT update to iOS 5.1.1! Please wait until we test some things out! STAY AWAY FROM 5.1.1 FOR NOW!"
Interesting, supposedly, you can still tether JB on A4 devices with this update.
But, A5 devices may have been patched from specific security holes.
Are we still able to update to 5.1, now that 5.1.1 is out?
I am on 5.0 and there's no way for me to jailbreak my iPhone 4.
I am glad all those geniuses that opted for Pod2g to hold off on releasing the 5.1 Jailbreak got it right. Now it's possible that they patched the exploits before ios 6 was even close to being released.
the window for 5.1 might be closed usually its still open for a bit after the new version launches
I guess its time to release 5.1 JB, there is no need to preserve the exploits. b4 iso6 gets released , apple might release 5.1.2, 5.1.3...to patch all.
I mean 5.1.1 not 5.1
I wish pod2g would tell us if he's going to release an A5 jailbreak for 5.1 so I can restore to 5.1 before Apple stops signing it. Has anyone done this? Are they still signing it?
This may be a dumb question, but what happens when a device needs to reboot after 5.1 stops being signed?
"The LLB and iBoot stages of the boot sequence are being refined to depend on the authenticity of the APTicket, which is uniquely generated at each and every restore (in other words, it doesnt depend merely on your ECID and firmware version
it changes every time you restore, based partly on a random number). This APTicket authentication will happen at every boot, not just at restore time." (From http://iphoneblogr.com/2011/06/apple-making-it-more-difficult-to-downgrade-firmware-in-ios5/#more-4692).
Does this mean that at each boot up the APTicekt is authenticated by Apple? If so, will those that are on 5.1 running a tethered JB need to save their APTicket while 5.1 is being signed, or lose their JB when they reboot the phone?
I may be reading too much into that, and I realize it's now an older post, but thought it was worth mentioning.
Who is iP4pwn? Though i agree never update till musslenerd or pod2g say it's ok. At least if your a jailbreaker.
Funny thing is what about the people on 5.0.1?!? Lol
If Apple stop signing that firmware and someone officially release a 5.1 jailbreak?
There's a problem, why one might ask!
Because if they (5.0.1) restore because something went downhill they hafta update to 5.1.1
Hope a dev has all the plots for a 5.1.1 so everyone can be happy.
Yeah I'm one of those people. I was actually waiting for the 5.1 jailbreak so I can update to that and start fresh. They still might be able to include 5.1.1 in the next jailbreak.
If they have APTicket and SHSH saved for 5.0.1, can they not restore to that FW? Apple has already stopped signing that and many have been able to restore to 5.0.1 using that method...
On another note, for those of us running the 5.1 tethered Jailbreak, how can we ensure that we are able to restore to 5.1 if needed?
Cydia (should) have automatically saved the 5.1 SHSH blobs (although Redsn0w states "partial blobs saved" for me...). Is there an APTicket need for 5.1? Haven't read anything about restoring to 5.1 because, until now, it's just been iTunes or No_BB iPSW since Apple is/was still signing.
A5 and A5X devices can't restore to older firmware yet.
He was keeping us up to date on the first Absinthe jailbreak and posted it simultaneously.
Sorry - assumed A4 device. My bad...
Any ideas on how us A4 guys can resore to 5.1 after Apple stops signing it?
I'm sorry I've never done it myself since my my 4S was the first device I jailbreak. I'm sure someone else with experience will chime in.