iOS 5.1 Battery update!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macmaccy, Nov 29, 2011.

1. macmaccy macrumors member

For the first time since owning an iphone 4s I'm actually happy!!! After running iOS 5.1 for about 18 hours (draining to 0% and full charge) my battery is finally running the way it should. Almost 9 hours of standby (mix of mostly wifi and 3g) and 1 hour and 10 minutes of use (58 minutes phone calls w/bluetooth headset and dozens of texts w/iMessage) my battery has 86% charge!!!!

I know it's still early but it looks very positive at this point. :):):):):):):):D:D:D

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If this is true, I'd rather have this than a jalbreak. I end up charging my phone halfway through the day. Thanks god I am a student! LOL.

3. J Griz 757 macrumors regular

J Griz 757

Good to hear. Thanks for the info.

As the days pass by drop some updates on how it's been working for you.

4. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

5. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I guess this means that the previously mentioned 5.0.2 release might just be incorporated into the 5.1 update. That's fine, of course, as long as 5.1 doesn't take too long to be released.

5.0.1 did help my battery life quite a bit, but not as much as I'd hoped. My iPhone just about makes it through the day with the 'Low Battery' message popping up just before I go to bed. I do miss the days with my iPhone 4 when I'd go to bed with around 50% left, though. I used my 4 with 3G off most of the time; I think that helped tremendously.

6. heyloo macrumors 6502

This is great news! I've been wondering about this. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for Apple to release 5.1!

7. macmaccy thread starter macrumors member

UPDATE:
    Now 11hrs 25 mins standby
    1 hr 31 minutes usage

I added about 20 minutes bluetooth calling and a few more texts and emails.

Current battery: 80%

Still looking really good!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:p:p:p:p:p:p

8. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

I can't wait for that update. Man has the battery life been horrible on this thing.

9. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

how was your usage/standby with 5.0.1 in comparison to 5.1?

10. macmaccy thread starter macrumors member

My usage with 5.1 comapred to both 5.0 and 5.01 is MUCH IMPROVED.

When I first got the iPhone 4s on launch day (Sprint) I was totally let down that my phone did not hold a charge comapred to the 2 other 4s's I got on the same day. My phone would not even make it past a work day. I had to keep a charger at my desk and always keep it plugged in. I had 2 iPhone replacements and both had the same severe battery drain. The only thing that help reduce drain was to shut-off iMessage.

I updated yesterday afternoon (5.1) and it only took a couple of hours to drain my phone. I recharged overnight and hit the ground running this morning. I knew within the first 30 minutes that something was working....my phone still showed 100%.....actually it held 100% for 3 hours!!!

Even now here are my stats:
    14 hours 40 mins standby
    2 hours 27 mins usage

Since the last update I used another 40+ minutes on phone with bluetooth and and more texts and internet browsing and emails.

Current battery: 64% WOW!!!!

11. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I'm not having problems with 5.0.1. But I'm looking forward for the updates anyways.

12. MacAttacked macrumors member

Doesn't sound overly impressive to me .... I'm on 5.0.1

I'm at 73%

Usage 1hr 29mins
    Standby 15hrs 45mins

Most days my usage averages about 6hrs, and it's dead! Sounds like your numbers would equate to 7.5 hrs of usage, so that's a little better, not as much as I had hoped for.

13. ApplesAndOrangs macrumors regular

Is iMessage still off?

And did you mean 5.1beta, cause 5.1 isn't out for us normal folks?

----------

What does your usage consist of? If it's 6 hours of facetiming of course it's awesome. Most of the people here forget that "usage" is such a loose term.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds good.
    Hope it works out like that for everyone and not some with great battery and some with bad battery life like 5.0.1

15. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

7.5 would be nice! Right now i'm only seeing about 5.5 hours.

16. macmaccy thread starter macrumors member

Yes...I'm running 5.1 beta. Everything is as it was installed nothing was changed. All location services on, including time zone. iMessage is on and has been used many times during the day. I used location services (GPS) a few times. Siri has assisted me several times today. Been using bluetooth for a few hours. All icloud services are on...photo stream is on.
    I have 1 icloud account, 2 exchange accounts (push is on). I have itunes match up and running and it works great!! I installed and used navigon for a bit today. I would say today was a typical use day.

For me these results are GREAT!!! Before this my best time on my 4s was about 12 hours. SO to be able to go to bed after a day of using my phone with 63% battery...that is fantastic. I can probably make it another day without a charge.

Lets see if this battery fix can last...this is just day 1. This is still a beta. I started this post to give all those that have been suffering a bit of hope.....and let them know that Apple is working hard to fix this very large and elusive bug.

Hang in there...things are looking good.:D:D:D:D:apple::apple::apple::apple:

17. heyloo macrumors 6502

Thanks for keeping us posted! :D Can't wait for the new update to kick in already ;)

18. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

19. macmaccy thread starter macrumors member

UPDATE:

Well after a complete day and a re-charge cycle I hate to report that the battery drain has returned. My phone started to drop right after I removed from the charger. Here are my stats this AM:

2 hours 3 minutes standby
    40 minutes of usage (mostly texts via iMessage and regular text/ and a 3 minute call no bluetooth) I can tell you without a doubt that I did not use the phone for 40 mins. Maybe 10 minutes at best. This usage problem is exactly what was happening before....unexplained usage.

Battery: 91%

If it is like before, usage will start to increase quickly and eventually be dead in a matter of a few hours.

Nothing is running except for what I reported....Phone app, message app, and settings.

Looks like Apple has more work to do....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

20. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

better report it so they know ;)

21. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Remember that there are reasons as to why it is called a Beta software and not a final release.

22. Just Dave macrumors member

Couple questions

1) Did you setup phone as new when installing the new software?

2) Could you tell us what your Diagnostics & Usage Data says? Any problems shown syncing with iCloud?

Thanks, Dave

23. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

My battery life on my 4S with 5.0.1 has been absolutely atrocious. I was hoping 5.1 fixed the issue but your latest update doesn't sound promising. Look at this s***!

Attached Files:

24. iphone4s16gb macrumors 6502

well , 5.1 help your iphone

42 minute usage improve
    3 hour standby improve

but still suck

if really improve must have 2 hour usage or more ......

25. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

I don't have 5.1. Both those results are on 5.0.1. I was just showing how bad my battery actually is!