Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archdelux

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
What is the new update (5.1) like on the Ipad 2? Any difference in performance?

What about the 4S? Sounds like no one has mentioned complaints so far..

I tend to stop updating when a new device comes out because Apple typically releases software that cripples the old hardware.. Not sure if I should update my ipad 2 or not for this reason.

I assume Iphone 4S should be fine though?

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Arch, I have a 4S/4/iPad 2 in the house and they are all just as fast as before, don't worry!!

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
I feel like the battery is worse. When I was running the 5.1 betas I did clean installs, setting up my 4S as a new phone. I thought the battery was pretty good. Now, with 5.1 GM, I did a restore from my 5.0.x backup. Over the last 1.5 hours the phone has dropped 16%. No usage other than light surfing at these forums while I have a few beers at the bar :) Guess we'll see where it's at in the morning.

wickywahwah

macrumors regular
May 6, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

maybe it's just the reboot, but my 4 feels much snappier, especially when unlocking (with pin) and messaging

stormchaser

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's all good on the 3GS too still silky smooth and quick.

hasek3139

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2009
iPhone 4s on AT&T

No 3g toggle here either :mad::mad:

i have a 4s too and here is how i go to it

setting >general> network> turn on/off cellular data

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    96.7 KB · Views: 99

vwshocker

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2012
I feel like the battery is worse. When I was running the 5.1 betas I did clean installs, setting up my 4S as a new phone. I thought the battery was pretty good. Now, with 5.1 GM, I did a restore from my 5.0.x backup. Over the last 1.5 hours the phone has dropped 16%. No usage other than light surfing at these forums while I have a few beers at the bar :) Guess we'll see where it's at in the morning.

Do you have Facebook running? If so, it's known to eat battery life and will be fixed with the next update by either Apple (integration plans) and/or Facebook itself with an app update. Look at your logs in Diagnostics.

----------

maybe it's just the reboot, but my 4 feels much snappier, especially when unlocking (with pin) and messaging

Safari too?? :D

Voxone

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area
I have downloaded 5.1 to my 1st gen iPad, but haven't had a chance to work with it. I will do that when I get home tonight. Ordered my iPad3 today and can't wait for it to arrive. :D

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
On my iPad 2, I noticed that when I drag the keyboard up from the bottom, it doesn't split until I let go. Slowly drag the keyboard up and down and tell me what you notice m

denaliOnDubs

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
CO
Strange that they didn't bring back the 3g toggle for AT&T customers... I admit most of the time my 3g (4g haha) is enabled but I do find it useful during road trips where 3g coverage is sparse.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Do you have Facebook running? If so, it's known to eat battery life and will be fixed with the next update by either Apple (integration plans) and/or Facebook itself with an app update. Look at your logs in Diagnostics.

Coincidentally I think you may have pointed in the right direction here. I have an assload (100+) of logs pertaining to "awdd" and many of them pertain to "bundled: com.facebook.Facebook". That said, my Facebook usage is no more or less than it was on 5.0.x or any 5.1 betas, all of which seem to have had better battery life. I'm currently at 52% with 5h20m elapsed since last full charge.

Furthermore I'm rather disgusted with this rebranding of "formerly-labeled-as-3G-service as 4G" especially considering that -- at my *house*, where I've had 3G service in the past and no issue with data -- I now supposedly have "4G", yet have lost data entirely twice tonight, requiring a reboot of my phone to get it back. WTF?

Ugh. Something is not right here & I foresee a clean, "new phone" install of 5.1.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast

I sure agree with this. Although the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 were already very responsive, I detect a definite increase in response speed - loading /opening apps, sending email and texts, Safari too.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Why isn't there an Aperture update to go along with this new ability to delete Photo Stream photos?

Also, will they update Aperture so it can talk to iPhoto for iOS?

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Isn't 5.1 suppose to fix the AirPlay problems that the iPhone 4S had (up until now, AirPlay didn't work with the 4S)??????

AirPlay worked "ok" on the 4S. The issue I had (and have seen discussed) was AirPlay dropping the connection to third party speakers. I never had it drop to ATV2. So far on 5.1 I haven't had a drop.

kavlo26

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2007
I sure agree with this. Although the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 were already very responsive, I detect a definite increase in response speed - loading /opening apps, sending email and texts, Safari too.

I have to agree as well. My iPhone 4 feels quicker. I do like that the camera loads fairly quickly from the lock screen. Before it took some time to load it up. Also it is nice not to have the bookmarks bar pop up on Safari when you close all the tabs and a blank page appears. Let's see tomorrow if there were any noticeable battery improvements. :)

HLX

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2006
From what I can see iOS 5.1 has no positive effect on iPad 1 performance, most notably in the Music app with iTunes Match enabled. Still as unresponsive as ever.

It's a real shame, although it won't be a problem for my good lady when she inherits it on March 16...

aen0

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
Hello,

Since iOS 5.1, It seems that I lost push email. I have to tap Refresh on the Mail.app to retrieve the new emails. I use push with a Google account (Exchange) and an iCloud account. Plus, It looks like inconsistent like if I reboot the iPhone, it works for a limited time.

I tried resetting my network configuration, toggle on/off push email...

iPhone 4 16G with iOS 5.1

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
After having to manually update my iPhone & iPad with help from a member on here, I am rather suited with 5.1.

The improvements to Photostream has made it a real asset rather than a pain for me to use.

Since I rarely use 3G I appreciate the option to have it disabled, I prefer to have control over such systems. And battery life seems to be acceptable for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.