Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tom359

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
Been using the beta since the day it was released, and I have to admit, that the most noticeable and appreciated change was the notification system. However, the other day, I noticed an app on my iPad that I didn't remember installing. Did a quick test and sure enough, every time I buy an app in iTunes, it is automatically downloaded and installed on my iPad and iPhone without any assistance from me. I know it's a little thing, but it it great to not have to sync after you buy an app just to install it.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
Been using the beta since the day it was released, and I have to admit, that the most noticeable and appreciated change was the notification system. However, the other day, I noticed an app on my iPad that I didn't remember installing. Did a quick test and sure enough, every time I buy an app in iTunes, it is automatically downloaded and installed on my iPad and iPhone without any assistance from me. I know it's a little thing, but it it great to not have to sync after you buy an app just to install it.

I like that too. I'm on iOS 4 though, but thankfully Apple added that feature for us non-beta testers! My iPad and iPhone stay perfectly in-sync :)

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
Love the idea of being "PC free" but I just don't know how realistic this idea is since I'm in college and alot of colleges want you to log into flash type websites :(

Really want to though...

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
I don't know if I'd call it "PC free" when you can't edit MP3 tags, can't delete pictures from the library and can't download things from the Internet with the browser.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
How do you stop this? My wife hates that her iPhone apps syncs on her iPad also. Now with this "iCloud" syncing, can you tell it not to sync to all of you iDevices?

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
I don't know if I'd call it "PC free" when you can't delete pictures from the library and can't download things from the Internet with the browser.

Deleting photos: Go to photo app -> tap on a photo -> press the trash can symbol to delete the picture.

Downloading from browser: Atomic web browser with dropbox integration says hi :)

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
How do you stop this? My wife hates that her iPhone apps syncs on her iPad also. Now with this "iCloud" syncing, can you tell it not to sync to all of you iDevices?

As far as the apps go, from each device: Settings -> Store
There are switches for turning off apps and music separately. It was the first thing I did when the new option became available.

Since I rarely use the same apps on both devices, and I don't clog up my iPad with music that's already on my phone, I personally think the function's pretty lame. No value add there for either me or my husband. But hey, glad that some of you find use in it.

Atomic/Dropbox is great, but it's still a workaround for missing functionality that should be native. And it doesn't always work; plenty of times, it can't even cope with a simple zip file.

And trashing pics from the photo app doesn't work when you've uploaded them from the computer, unless something's changed. My mother in law found that out when she accidentally filled several GB's of her new iPad with pics she didn't actually need on there.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Deleting photos: Go to photo app -> tap on a photo -> press the trash can symbol to delete the picture.

Downloading from browser: Atomic web browser with dropbox integration says hi :)

I said Photo Library, not Camera Roll.

And downloading from browser should be integrated IMO, with a user defined allocated storage space... That same space should show up as a flash drive when connected with to PC.

steezy1337

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
Carlisle, UK
i think this feature will be pretty good as more apps become universal. i've switched it off for the moment on my iPad as i hate using iphone apps on my iPad but switched on on my iphone as it'll only sync the universal apps, hopefully they'll add some kind of switch to disable syncing iphone apps on ipad so i don't miss out on great universal apps syncing on both my devices :)

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
While I love the idea of iCloud, I wasn't thrilled with getting apps auto synced, especially if they're iPhone-sized (I really try to keep those off the iPad now that there are loads of iPad-specific apps available.)

Good to know you can turn it off on certain devices...

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
I said Photo Library, not Camera Roll.

And downloading from browser should be integrated IMO, with a user defined allocated storage space... That same space should show up as a flash drive when connected with to PC.

I was under the impression with iOS5 with being PC Free that you can move, edit, delete from the photo interface. I know they showed creating new albums from photos, but being PC Free there has to be a way to delete. If its not in the beta yet it will have to be in the final release.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
As far as the apps go, from each device: Settings -> Store
There are switches for turning off apps and music separately. It was the first thing I did when the new option became available.

Since I rarely use the same apps on both devices, and I don't clog up my iPad with music that's already on my phone, I personally think the function's pretty lame. No value add there for either me or my husband. But hey, glad that some of you find use in it.

Atomic/Dropbox is great, but it's still a workaround for missing functionality that should be native. And it doesn't always work; plenty of times, it can't even cope with a simple zip file.

And trashing pics from the photo app doesn't work when you've uploaded them from the computer, unless something's changed. My mother in law found that out when she accidentally filled several GB's of her new iPad with pics she didn't actually need on there.

I feel the exact same way. I don't want want my iPhone apps on my iPad, and vice versa... I mean I have different devices for a reason, you know ;)

Thanks for posting this information! I've been wondering about this exact same thing ever since iOS 5 was [kind of] released. :D

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
You can delete from device but not from the main library since that would be against the host/client model that all computers work off of.

stevensr123

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Love the idea of being "PC free" but I just don't know how realistic this idea is since I'm in college and alot of colleges want you to log into flash type websites :(

Really want to though...

what do people even mean when they say post pc ere?

and im with you fella, loads of websites infact 90 percent of the websites i need to go on to study, research, watch video's etc need flash.

not only that but a lot of the content i get from my class is on formats that cannot be read on IOS.

david77

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Also, out of curiosity, what are you guys wanting to download through the browser? I haven't downloaded anything from a browser in a long time.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Also, out of curiosity, what are you guys wanting to download through the browser? I haven't downloaded anything from a browser in a long time.

Music. Until iTunes offers all the music I listen to, I would never be able to give up browser downloads. Mixtapes from my favorite artists are something I don't want to give up.

stevensr123

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Just wondering ... what formats?

one format is .BAK, a lot of time i spend on auto cad, i lose information (mainly because AUTO CAD 2011 is pretty ****.

when i try the autocad app it does not read these files ( or i might be doing something wrong lol) , nothing major though in this department.

a lot of my media content also doesn't run well on IOS. almost 97 percent of my media is in media formats such as avi, mkv, rmvb and doesn't seem to runon the IOS very well ( even using apps such as vlc).

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011

Really want to though...

My college has no flash type website. Infact i use a lot of college sites on my iPhone and the functionality is 100% mirrored as desktop level.

Tell your college to invest in some better web designers.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Have you looked into spotify? that's brilliant :)

As far as I know its not available in my country, and isnt it a paid service? I dont see the point in paying to listen to music that is already free. I dont think I could ever manage my music without a computer

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
As far as I know its not available in my country, and isnt it a paid service? I dont see the point in paying to listen to music that is already free. I dont think I could ever manage my music without a computer

it's free for PC only, or you pay £5 a monthyou can have it on iPhone, it's any song pretty much, including new stuff and you can manage it all from iPhone, iPad, PC, whatever you want. it's coming to the US apparantly. Tho if you prefer to pirate, then thats your perogative.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
it's free for PC only, or you pay £5 a monthyou can have it on iPhone, it's any song pretty much, including new stuff and you can manage it all from iPhone, iPad, PC, whatever you want. it's coming to the US apparantly. Tho if you prefer to pirate, then thats your perogative.

Where did I say I was pirating anything? I said the music was free, that means free from the producer, as in they do not charge people to download it. I listen to rap mostly, and there are thousands of great mixtapes that are 100% free, and would also probably never be offered on Spotify. Like I said, I'm not interested in paying (any amount of money) to listen to music that is free, and Spotify is not available here (NZ, not the US).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.