iOS 5 announcement coming at event as well?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by celticpride678, Feb 23, 2011.

1. celticpride678

Apple usually holds an event in March to announce a new version of iOS and since the iPad 2 announcement will be in March, I could see it happening.

The only thing that I see that could mean it won't is the wallpaper on the home screen of the iPad featured on the invitation (same as iOS 4).

What do you think? iOS 5 announcement on March 2nd too?

2. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Hmmm... I doubt it, but anything is possible.

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Well, the picture/wallpaper probably just shows a first gen iPad anyway. Apple isn't going to give away the new stuff on the invite.

It will either be announced at this event or very soon after. I think there's a small chance they'll split it because the iOS announcements tend to be pretty technical and developer oriented, but they could still combine them.

4. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

I could definitely see Apple doing a little "What does great hardware need? Great software."

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

... That we aren't releasing yet.

They talked a lot about iOS4 during the iPhone 4 announcement, but they were also releasing both of those at the same time. They might not want to do a "Here's the great software that won't be on your new iPad yet!" segment here.

6. Poop Boy macrumors newbie

It's so gross when consumers try to imitate Steve Jobs.

7. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Was I imitating him? No. :rolleyes:

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Excuse me while I change out of my black turtleneck.

9. INeedAMacBook macrumors 6502

Look at the bit of the ipad, you can see light on some of the screen but there isn't any glare......ANTI-GLARE SCREEN, that is all.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I actually think the september rumors a getting themselves mixed hp and it won't be the iPad 3, but IOS5 that will be released then.

11. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Wrong. Under normal everyday conditions, with an unbroken arm, it is not possible for me to touch my right elbow with any of the digits on my right hand. Fact.

12. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I actually think that it is highly possible that Apple will reveal some of the iOS 5 features next week. I don't think they will make an extensive presentation of the new version, but they will show the highlights. Another event will follow in April/May that will show more details (I predict :) )

13. JPark macrumors 6502a

Sever one of the digits and try again.

14. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I agree, i think we'll get a sneak peak of it for now. Because the tagline did say "Come see what 2011 will be the year of"..unless they meant that 2011 will be the year of the iPad 2, but i doubt that since we're getting iOS 5, iPhone 5 and Mac OS 10.7
    I think they'll show us the rest of iOS 5 in WWDC '11 along with the iPhone 5 and Mac OS X Lion.

15. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

They'll need to flesh out the event somehow. Last time the iPad was new, so time was taken to talk about everything. I expect some iOS5 previews too.

16. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

iOS 4.3 hasn't even come out:rolleyes:

unless 4.4 comes April...

17. JPark macrumors 6502a

I agree and hope you're right. This will be a pretty underwhelming event if it's just to announce an iPad revision.

18. Davichi macrumors 6502

Preview

-Either tim or phil will show up

1. We sold so many iPads last year. We are proud of iOS devices.
    2. We opened more stores in china and customers love them.
    3. Users downloaded 10 billion apps. We have over 350000 apps at app store.
    4. Here is the preview of iOs 5.0 and due this summer.
    5. We are going to talk about 8 of them. But, there are over 300 features.
    6. blah blah blah blah
    7. Oh, and here is iPad with camera.
    8. You can now always let your boss know where you are suppose to be with iPad.

9. Oh, and it will cost 499 dollars. amazing, isn't it? Our competitors won't get us.

10. Oh, and That's it for today.

19. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Ipad 2 is going to be predictable.

iOS5 is more important. The iPad desperately needs a kind of file system to enable docs to be stored and downloads to be saved.

Apple need to make this device able to close the gap on notebooks for work / productivity etc. Will be nice to have camera etc for facetime/skype but this time around I feel software features are more important then the hardware. I dont just want a faster ipad with camera!!

20. Zelnaga macrumors regular

You forgot the ...

Oh ...... and one more thing.

21. poloponies macrumors 68030

Must you be whelmed by every event? For people interested in a revised iPad this will be plenty whelming.

22. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I'd love for that to happen. I would t be surprised either if it did, but it does seem a little early...

23. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Would like to see the ipod,videos and ibook icons merged into a native ios iTunes app. Then have Thunderbolt connection on iPad to allow iphone / ipod syncing, allow external HD connections for transferring files / downloads etc

24. kultschar macrumors 6502a

I think Apple will have something up there sleeve, cant see many people upgrading ipads just for camera and extra speed!!!

25. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Oh really? I think you'll find those are two of the biggest reasons why a lot of people will upgrade their iPad. Some will do so for the looks as well, and the rest will do so just because they can.

There will NOT be an iOS5 announcement I can guarantee you that.