iOS 5 auto focus problem?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DaIfoneboss, Oct 13, 2011.

1. DaIfoneboss macrumors regular

i noticed this when i was recording something earlier today, it was fine and good in one spot but when i turned my phone to a different place it stayed blurry and i had to tap to focus for it to work,

but the weird thing is that this doesnt happen all the time? sometimes its good and sometimes its not?

also i got this green feint horizontal line going across my screen in video recording its barely noticeable in some light conditions but when its lowlight you can kind of see it not really but a little bit. the line goes across the screen on a different spot when i use the camera as oppose to the video recorder it is also in a different spot?

2. DaIfoneboss thread starter macrumors regular

3. DaIfoneboss thread starter macrumors regular

All you guys reply to retarded a** threads like im scared that people will mistake my iphone 4s for a iphone 4 but dont answer this......

4. clamz macrumors member

clamz

5. NYRGirardi5 macrumors member

6. h00ligan macrumors 68030

You probably double tapped when focusing and that now initiates ael/af lock. It will designate on the bottom of the screen.

7. DaIfoneboss thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah i think your right, thanks lol, i dont get this green horizontal line going across my screen in video mode and camera mode, it only shows in the camera app no where else, im guessing it may be the camera hardware it self is faulty?

8. dpierre macrumors regular

Why are you so angry? Maybe no one here has experienced the issue you are having yet...

9. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

But those threads are more fun! :)

10. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

More likely people were turned off by his thread bumping, bad attitude and overly active sense of entitlement.

11. gtmac macrumors 6502a

I am thinking this was it.

12. DaIfoneboss thread starter macrumors regular

im not angry at all, im just trying to get some help

13. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Does the green line show up in a screen shot?

You aren't talking about the grid are you?

[​IMG]

14. DaIfoneboss thread starter macrumors regular

[​IMG]

and also when i switch to camera mode to take a photo, its in a different spot the line? i feel like its software related but im not sure

15. h00ligan macrumors 68030

My guess would be that it's a sensor issue. Not software. The only way to tell is set up the phone again. Lemme double check I don't see that in low light.

Nope. Can't get mine to do that.

16. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Your auto-focus mechanism is defective. I had mine replaced today. I've yet to purchase an Apple product without a single defect.

17. DaIfoneboss thread starter macrumors regular

no phone is perfect, my last iphone 4 was actually good it was just so dinged up i wanted to get a new one and so i got it replaced for free.

----------

hmm its extremely weird though in photo capture mode the green line is in a different spot and alot harder to notice? its alot less visible

18. DaIfoneboss thread starter macrumors regular

i think your right look at this photo, defitnetly not right

[​IMG]

19. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

The green line is a row of defective pixels on the sensor. It is not out of the ordinary, what is out of the ordinary is that it's not getting corrected by software. Normally, defective pixels are detected and corrected by blending with neighbor pixels so you never notice it.

I suggest to exchange your unit if it bothers you. At least file a bug report with Apple, this is a flaw that should not happen.

About the AF problem, no AF algorithm is perfect.

20. DaIfoneboss thread starter macrumors regular

should i try restoring my phone?

21. shadedred macrumors member

Won't work, I had the same issue (varying in faintness of green lines) back on the iPhone 4, on my first two phones, and also on my third. The first iPhone was really noticeable, and the 2nd one was somewhat noticeable but not quite as outstanding as the 1st phone. Anyways, on my 2nd phone I had other major defects (auto-focus caused the Camera app to crash, restore didn't work). My 3rd phone had the same issue, but by then, I just let it go...

I've yet to see how my 4S performs... as you know... and in case some of you reading this don't see the green line, it only happens in low light video where there aren't any variations in light or sporadic brightness.

22. shadedred macrumors member

Decided to test my Camera/Video after reading your post... see attached.. mines is worse - looks like a trip to the Apple Store tomorrow.

Attached Files:

23. DaIfoneboss thread starter macrumors regular

damm thats bad, i seemed to improved the quality of my photos by flicking the back of my camera lens pretty hard with my middle finger a couple times, try doing that to your phone

24. shadedred macrumors member

I'm not sure about that... :p Maybe I'll give it a shot. Restoring right now, with lots of skepticism, this is reminiscent of my first iPhone 4 purchase. I'll keep you updated, what's interesting is that Horizontal photos/videos look great in any light condition (no faint green line whatsoever). Vertical photos are perfect as well, its just vertical videos where this issue pops up. I've taken several videos in different light conditions, all with the same defect.