iOS 5 beta 4 bricked my phone today..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TOOFY, Jul 25, 2011.

1. TOOFY macrumors regular

I was texting.. then all of a sudden my iP4 just rebooted. When it loaded up - it is unresponsive to any touch commands and it stays on the " searching " in the signal area. Phone wont allow me to reboot, restore, dfu. Nothing. I raised the issue in developer forums. It seems to have already been raised by admins to critical.

So i have no phone right now.. gonna try to see if i can get it replaced or by another phone.:confused:

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Yikes. Scary.

Do you get any response at all when you connect to iTunes ?

3. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

This is a prime reason why beta software should not be run on your primary device.

4. mattdo93, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011

mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

The OP knew what he was getting into when he installed it on his primary device. Now he's asking for help from the community and he doesn't need a stupid response. We know there are risks. At least this guy is a legitimate developer and didn't just get his UDID registered. If you don't wanna help, then keep your mouth shut and gtfo.

OP: I hope you can fix your situation. There doesn't seem to be any solution to your problem. Good luck man.

5. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

6. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Well, its not 'bricked' because that means it won't do anything, at all. You know, like a brick.

Does your computer detect it if its connected?
    I take it the physical buttons don't work either, correct?
    You might be able to exchange it, but if you tell them its on iOS 5 beta they won't, as its not covered under warranty.

Try making sure the screen stays on so the battery runs out.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I would not run it on my one and only phone.

8. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

Great for you. I am running it on my one and only phone. That's your choice and your pointless comments are not assisting the op in solving his problem so why talk

9. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Neither are yours. :rolleyes:

10. jonrando macrumors 6502a

:rolleyes:

11. pugnut macrumors 6502a

No going to pile on the beta software thing,but I hope you filed a bug. When you connect to XCode is there any response?

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

And how is your comment helping the OP?:p

13. TOOFY thread starter macrumors regular

Relax people. I simply posted the thread to be aware of the issue and to look out for it. Xcode got the response but itunes would not. It was so bad that they had to replace my device. The issue is raised and i received an email from the team asking for more detail. Luckily i recorded a video with another device of the behavior before i got it switched out.

We'll see what happens. However - NOW i cannot put beta 4 on this new device. The UID is correct, I have beta 4 itunes installed. I get an error saying the " firmware does not match " the device when i attempt to restore using my windows work machine..

14. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

15. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

look,also my ipod touch had this problem.the next day i could use it again :p im sure that your iphone isn't bricked

16. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

Too bad people don't listen to Apple and/or developers about NOT installing betas on primary devices. I guess they have to learn the hard way.

17. fisherbln macrumors newbie

I had a VERY similar experience yesterday with Beta 4. My iPhone locked up right after I sent a text message. Tried to restart the phone (through a forced restart because regular restart wouldn't work) but it came up with the frozen "searching" screen you described. I had to put the phone in recovery mode and completely reload it to get it working again. Luckily didn't require a replacement in my case.

And before anyone asks, yes, I am a registered developer.

18. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

This I frightening. I'm not a dev, but I know a decent amount of what I'm doing. But this is my primary device and that is worrisome. However, I had a Instance of this in beta 3, and it wasn't fun. After some work, I got it going again.

19. Surrix macrumors regular

I know right, all devs have like 20 iPhone 4's, why do they have to put them on their main devices?

/s

I've never heard of a phone getting that bricked before for any reason, including massive JB/unlock f-ups. Honestly, it probably had nothing at all to do with beta 4, and was most likely a random hardware failure.

20. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Got a time out for the same OP Thread!!

LOL. I got a timeout for the same post a month or so ago!! THanks MOD

21. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Alright, simple things:

Hold down both power and Home for a *LONG* time. If you think you've held it down long enough, wait longer. (30 seconds.) Any response?

Wait for the battery to die. Then plug it in and as soon as the screen comes on, try to enter DFU.

Failing that? Wait for Apple to get back to you.......

22. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

You really have to try hard to acutally brick an iPhone. Put it in DFU mode, start iTunes and plug it in and restore. Google DFU mode if you don't know how.

23. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

He got it swapped already.

Read the first post. He knows what DFU is. He tried everything. Read his further posts. The issue was truly critical, really did brick his phone, and was so bad he was contacted to provide further details.

24. demoxu macrumors newbie

oh,no.
    It’s the third time I meet this problem.
    iTunes can read the mobile and restore it while the mobile is 'bricked'.
    But I do not know how and why it happened.
    Maybe sync with iTunes with wifi?

25. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

Regardless of whether he has one iPhone or ten it's still a $600+ device he can't use. He has every right to be concerned about getting it fixed.