Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
I've just changed my wife's mobile number in my contacts, she is also on beta 6 but since doing this iMessage doesn't work it sends my messages as texts instead.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
I've just changed my wife's mobile number in my contacts, she is also on beta 6 but since doing this iMessage doesn't work it sends my messages as texts instead.

try deleting your text thread with her on your phone. then create a new text and wait a couple seconds for your iphone to conclude her phone has imessage. hopefully that will work.

im sure you are on 3g or wifi as well correct? gl!

SheepNutz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Kantuckee
Anyone else having an issue where their music is out of order? Basically, when I go under the music.app, all of my artists that have "The" at the beginning of their name end up in the "T" section, instead of the app ignoring the "The". The problem first popped up for me under beta 5, and I was hoping beta 6 fixed it, but it didn't.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
try deleting your text thread with her on your phone. then create a new text and wait a couple seconds for your iphone to conclude her phone has imessage. hopefully that will work.

im sure you are on 3g or wifi as well correct? gl!

this worked a treat thank you !!! :D

Krandor

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
What's the general consensus so far? Snappier? Less bugs? One step closer to GM or does it need one more release (beta 7)?

Improvement over 5 but still pretty buggy. Don't think it is GM ready.

- Windows wi-fi sync is more stable, but still nowhere near "it just works".
- Smart playlists seem to be really messed up. out of order on the phone and in itunes cannot edit or create smart playlists.

So better, but Windows iTunes still isn't ready for a GM IMO.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Improvement over 5 but still pretty buggy. Don't think it is GM ready.

- Windows wi-fi sync is more stable, but still nowhere near "it just works".
- Smart playlists seem to be really messed up. out of order on the phone and in itunes cannot edit or create smart playlists.

So better, but Windows iTunes still isn't ready for a GM IMO.

Anyone else think Apple has two beta paths? One for devs and one (much further along) in-house - that will become the actual GM.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Anyone else think Apple has two beta paths? One for devs and one (much further along) in-house - that will become the actual GM.
Definitely. That's how they test new phone features (like LTE). I think it's likely that some of the things we've heard about, nuance system wide for instance, are going to be iPhone 5 only.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
Is anyone having difficulty with their contacts? I can scroll through the names but when I goto click on a name to bring up their details it locks up?? It can take several reboots before I get it to open properly.

SheepNutz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Kantuckee
Ugh, I really hate the autocorrect in iOS 5. Even in this 6th beta, they still haven't fixed it. I hate how it corrects properly spelled words into other words, like always changing "in" to "I'm" or "on", changing "bring" to "being" and changing "ate" to "are".

kingdLo

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Anyone else having an issue where their music is out of order? Basically, when I go under the music.app, all of my artists that have "The" at the beginning of their name end up in the "T" section, instead of the app ignoring the "The". The problem first popped up for me under beta 5, and I was hoping beta 6 fixed it, but it didn't.

Not having this one.

It seems to be working pretty well, but I seem to be getting be poor battery life. Just going to try shutting off the percentage issue so I'm a little less OCD about it.

Does anyone know if we can restore as new and *somehow* keep our game data?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Not having this one.

It seems to be working pretty well, but I seem to be getting be poor battery life. Just going to try shutting off the percentage issue so I'm a little less OCD about it.

Does anyone know if we can restore as new and *somehow* keep our game data?
Not unless you jailbreak and even then it's a real pain for each app because they all do it differently. Apple really needs a app/game saving API for iCloud. Restoring as new would solve a lot of people's problems without losing their app/game data.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Not unless you jailbreak and even then it's a real pain for each app because they all do it differently. Apple really needs a app/game saving API for iCloud. Restoring as new would solve a lot of people's problems without losing their app/game data.

They do, it's the iCloud Documents API. New in iOS 5, so nobody's implemented it yet.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Comments about snappiness, and battery life would be more helpful if people would also mention which version of iPhone they are using.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
I have something similar if not worse: all of my artist names starting with "The" don't display "The" anymore. To make it worse, those artist names are also duplicated and show up under two different letters, one of them being "T". Screenshot below:

img.png

Notice the first and the last artist; it's supposed to be "The Golden Filter". It's also duplicated and shows up under both letters "G" and "T" (not hard to figure out why).

P.S. The bug first appeared in beta5; beta6 didn't fix it. I would say we're very very very close to GM.

NOT! :rolleyes:

kingdLo

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
You should try un syncing and re sync by cable.

I'm noticing some lag while typing in safari.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area

Same here.
Instead of displaying the "The" at the beginning of the band and simply ignoring it, the "The" doesn't display at all and the band ends up in the "T" section.

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
I have something similar if not worse: all of my artist names starting with "The" don't display "The" anymore. To make it worse, those artist names are also duplicated and show up under two different letters, one of them being "T". Screenshot below:
check the sort name has the in against artist name, it could be displaying the sort name which by default in iTunes leaves out the as I have purposely changed the sort names to have the in as I can be a bit OCD and I have them all showing under T

SheepNutz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Kantuckee
Same here.
Instead of displaying the "The" at the beginning of the band and simply ignoring it, the "The" doesn't display at all and the band ends up in the "T" section.

I was able to fix mine by going into iTunes, unchecking the "sync music" box, doing a sync to delete all music off my phone, then rechecking the box and resyncing all my music back over.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
wow this beta has a log of bug fixes, im sure the next one will be GM. ;)
I really hope so. I don't see a need for another beta.
I've been having issues with whatsapp, after a few messages it respring the phone. Anybody having this issue? Just reported it at the dev forum btw
How does this relate to beta 6? It just means that the dev hasn't updated the app yet.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I just did the OTA update (from beta 5 to beta 6) on my iPad 1, and all of my pictures are still there. There were only a few, since it's an iPad an all, but I was still surprised to see them after what I read in this thread.

For those of you who lost your pics and had to re-sync, what device were you using? I wonder if that bug is device-specific... I sure hope it's gone for GM at least.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
it's not as bad as beta 5, but it's not ready for GM i feel. i see one more beta then GM, especially since iPhone 5 is out until early October, so we got a month and abit.

One more beta is about all they have time for. They said Sept, so to keep that schedule, they will need to GM by mid-Sept to release it for general availability at the end of Sept. And keep in mind that Apple has no problem with releasing the OS before the new device. Usually, they would announce the new device and the OS availability date on the same day, with about 1 week notice on the OS, and 1 month notice on the device.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
There will no doubt be 1 more beta. That falls inline with an early September media event (they usually release GM shortly after the event), devs getting their apps ready, and leaves open the possibility to have a second GM if Apple see's necessary.

Don't know this for fact, just makes logical sense because if you're using beta 6, then you know it's still at least 1 more away from GM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.