Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
I bought a new 32gig 3GS 12 months ago (a month before the iP4 was announced) and I don't expect iOS5 to come to the 3GS. From the horror stories my friends tell of their 3G's going to the dogs with iOS4, Apple would be stupid to pull the same stunt on the 3GS.

Hell, the iPhone 4 is one year old technology at this point.

Wow! A reasonable person.

I get so annoyed with people bitching that Apple are evil for not supporting two year old phones cause some one might have bought it more recently (This annoys me cause in most cases it is from some one who has the phone not supported but has had it a while and isn't one of the ones affected but realizes it doesn't look as reasonable to whine that they phone they've had for 2 years isn't going to get support).

1. The phone is still two year old technology even if you bought it now.
2. Most people who bought it this recently don't really care, a smartphone isn't their biggest priority. The only person I know who bought a 3GS recently was dragged into getting a smartphone and figured for 50 dollars it was worth it. He doesn't really need or want much out of his phone honestly. Anything it does extra over his old dumbphone is gravy.
3. Most people who care will realize it is an old phone when they buy it and either decide that for their budget they can deal with older technology (and can understand it won't stay relevant for long) or they buy the newer one or even wait for the newest one to come out.
4. And the rare few who did buy one not realizing it was old and likely not to be supported for as long... do your research before buying first if how long an item is supported is that important to you that this would upset you. It wouldn't be hard to learn that it's an old phone. I'm sure the apple salesman will easily tell you that and tell you why maybe a 4 is worth that extra money!

And as for some one who had the phone since it was new... they supported it for 2 years with the new OS updates. Longer than most phones (my previous phones never got updates to the OS.... though to be fair they were all dumbphones, but they were still running some sort of customized OS). It still can do what you like it for.... if you want the newer features, you can get a newer phone with renewing your contract and you won't pay that much for it.

I certainly didn't gripe when they barely supported the 3G last year (and fully expected by this year it wouldn't be supported period. Sure, Apple was quicker than what I expected but judging from complaints on how badly the 3G ran iOS 4.0, it was not surprising at all they just gave up supporting it period before iOS 5.0).

I certainly expect the 4 will be barely if at all supported next year. Actually, I think I'm going to wait on 5 to see how fast it runs on the 4 (I know that iOS 3.0 did make my 3G noticeably slower, not intolerably slow but I did notice that it took longer to load apps and lagged a lot more).

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
The 3GS can handle at least some of iOS5's updates. Its not like the iPhone 4 is THAT much ahead in terms of raw specs.:rolleyes:

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Guess Apple really wants all of the 3GS owners to upgrade to iPhone 5, unfortunately looks like iOS 5 won't be compatible.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
Guess Apple really wants all of the 3GS owners to upgrade to iPhone 5, unfortunately looks like iOS 5 won't be compatible.

What makes you say that? The only thing that's really been "confirmed" is iCloud and automatic updating.

jamied95

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
If it's a matter of RAM, if the iPhone 3GS gets left behind, so does iPad.

Also, iOS not supporting 3GS would be good for developers and Apple, no more having to create apps/OS for pre-retina.

Last edited:

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
The 3GS can handle at least some of iOS5's updates. Its not like the iPhone 4 is THAT much ahead in terms of raw specs.:rolleyes:

The double amount of RAM will make a huge difference, and while yes the A4 is technically the same CPU and GPU as the 3GS, albeit on 1 chip and 200MHz faster, it's still faster. On a mobile device, 200MHz makes a hell of a difference, just look at the 3G trying to handle homescreen wallpapers compared to the 3GS. Processing all those little drop shadows behind the icons and text just took the 3G over the edge because it packed a low amount of RAM.

ikaveh

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2008
here
that's not the point.

look at it from a business standpoint and step into Apple's shoes.

Apple is not microsoft or android-google. They are well known for supporting their products with the longest time and the best quality. They dont earn this reputation easily and i think they are not going to loose it. I believe protecting their reputation for products' support is Apple's business standpoint.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Apple is not microsoft or android-google. They are well known for supporting their products with the longest time and the best quality. They dont earn this reputation easily and i think they are not going to loose it. I believe protecting their reputation for products' support is Apple's business standpoint.

the 3GS came out in 2009 dude.. it's time to let it go no matter who you are. people usually upgrade their phones every 1-2 years anyways.

also, why are they going to slow themselves down by supporting outdated hardware?

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
the 3GS came out in 2009 dude.. it's time to let it go no matter who you are. people usually upgrade their phones every 1-2 years anyways.

also, why are they going to slow themselves down by supporting outdated hardware?

If they're selling it, they should be support it, simple as that.

The hardware is not outdated and there would be no slow downs since architecture is the same pretty much.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
Original iPhone: iOS 2.0, 3.0
iPhone 3G: iOS 3.0, 4.0
iPhone 3GS: iOS 4.0, ???

The other two phones received two major upgrades, it's reasonable to assume that the 3GS will as well.

I really hope 3GS isn't left behind.

It's still a very capable phone.

Agreed. I can only think of one app where my 3GS struggles with performance. General performance is the same as the day I bought it.

ph00ny

macrumors member
May 28, 2011

The hardware is not outdated and there would be no slow downs since architecture is the same pretty much.

Pretty much sums it up

whole point of the matter is that 3GS is currently being sold and advertised actively. It would suck to be a consumer not in the loop of "apple's shoes" and business tactics to realize that they can't enjoy the new features.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto

they won't be selling it once the next iPhone comes out... therefore, no reason to support it.

it will be the next-gen iPhone and the iPhone 4 at $99 once the new phone comes out

You do realize Apple is well known for supporting devices tell the end of time? Honestly they are the only company you can bet will do this this.

Apple stopped supporting the 3G in 2010, 2 years after it was released. this is what will happen:

the iPhone 3GS will probably get iOS5, but will lack many features.. which will lead to this forum being flooded with people crying (refer to: 3G getting 4.0 and not being able to add a background)

the iPhone 4 will get iOS5 and will lack some features.

can you answer something for me though?

i know that the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 aren't that much different inside, but they still are. retina display is one of the big things. so why the hell on earth are they going to release on OS on old hardware?

the retina display itself vs the old display just adds more junk to the OS. instead of people crying over twitter taking up lines of code (in the other thread lol), they should complain about this.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
my 3GS lags in iOS 4

so honestly, I'm not going to upgrade to iOS 5 with this model, if the iOS works for it. I may upgrade to the next iPhone after all but that is another story all together.

I can't really see iOS 5 for the 3GS because of the ram issue, my 3GS runs iOS 4 rather poorly but This just my experience and speculation.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Pretty much sums it up

whole point of the matter is that 3GS is currently being sold and advertised actively. It would suck to be a consumer not in the loop of "apple's shoes" and business tactics to realize that they can't enjoy the new features.

Well up until 1 year ago today Apple was still selling the iPhone 3G along side the iPhone 3GS (pre WWDC), how do you think those people feel that signed a 2 year contract on an iPhone 3G to only have iOS 4.0 released a few weeks later all the sudden make your phone run extremely slow? I don't think their happy, and does Apple want to repeat this again?

Apple is selling and advertising the iPhone 3GS running iOS 4.x, their not advertising that it will run iOS 5.0, so when you walk into a store today to buy an iPhone 3GS and you look at the spec sheet, those are the only features that Apple is promising to you, nothing more nothing less.

These are the features:http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3gs/
These are the specs: http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3gs/specs.html

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
The double amount of RAM will make a huge difference, and while yes the A4 is technically the same CPU and GPU as the 3GS, albeit on 1 chip and 200MHz faster, it's still faster. On a mobile device, 200MHz makes a hell of a difference, just look at the 3G trying to handle homescreen wallpapers compared to the 3GS. Processing all those little drop shadows behind the icons and text just took the 3G over the edge because it packed a low amount of RAM.

And here comes the RAMfags.

Remember the iPad 1 has 256mb RAM the same as 3GS...

Will iPad 1 be left behind with iOS5?

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Well up until 1 year ago today Apple was still selling the iPhone 3G along side the iPhone 3GS (pre WWDC), how do you think those people feel that signed a 2 year contract on an iPhone 3G to only have iOS 4.0 released a few weeks later all the sudden make your phone run extremely slow? I don't think their happy, and does Apple want to repeat this again?

Apple is selling and advertising the iPhone 3GS running iOS 4.x, their not advertising that it will run iOS 5.0, so when you walk into a store today to buy an iPhone 3GS and you look at the spec sheet, those are the only features that Apple is promising to you, nothing more nothing less.

These are the features:http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3gs/
These are the specs: http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3gs/specs.html

By your logic, the iPhone 4 won't get iOS5 either, after all Apple is advertising it as running iOS4 :rolleyes:

ph00ny

macrumors member
May 28, 2011
And here comes the RAMfags.

Remember the iPad 1 has 256mb RAM the same as 3GS...

Will iPad 1 be left behind with iOS5?

Well with increasing multitasking capability, it will be an important feature.

I said the same thing on android devices when i said there isn't much of a difference between 512mb vs 1GB and boy was i wrong

Last edited:

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
By your logic, the iPhone 4 won't get iOS5 either, after all Apple is advertising it as running iOS4 :rolleyes:

Agreed, they don't have to and its in their iPhone 4 EULA that we all signed when we bought our phones.

Apple, at its discretion, may make available future updates to the operating system software for your iPhone. Updates, if any, may not necessarily include all existing software features, or new features that Apple releases for newer iPhone models.

Section 1.
http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/iphone4.pdf

and if you review the iPad's EULA, Apple only promises 1 major OS upgrade

Apple will provide you any iPad OS software updates that it may release from time to time, up to and including the next major iPad OS software release following the version of iPad OS software that originally shipped from Apple on your iPad, for free. For example, if your iPad originally shipped with iPad 3.x software, Apple would provide you with any iPad OS software updates it might release up to and including the iPad 4.x software release. Such updates and releases may not necessarily include all of the new software features that Apple releases for newer iPad models.

Section 1.
http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/iPadSoftwareLicense.pdf

Hardware & Software Product Agreements
http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Original iPhone: iOS 2.0, 3.0
iPhone 3G: iOS 3.0, 4.0
iPhone 3GS: iOS 4.0, ???

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't it like this:

iPhone: iOS 1, iOS 2
iPhone 3G: iOS 2, iOS 3, iOS 4
iPhone 3GS: iOS 3, iOS 4

What makes you say that? The only thing that's really been "confirmed" is iCloud and automatic updating.

Yeah you're right. It was just a hunch, i think that iOS 5 on iPhone 3GS will likely be how iOS 4 was on iPhone 3G.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't it like this:

iPhone: iOS 1, iOS 2
iPhone 3G: iOS 2, iOS 3, iOS 4
iPhone 3GS: iOS 3, iOS 4

Well if you include the shipping version... almost. You're forgetting that iOS 3 was released for the original iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.