iOS 5 forum Sticky Feedback

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by r2shyyou, Oct 20, 2011.

1. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this but I have some feedback I thought I'd share regarding the sticky threads currently in the iOS 5 forum. Let me also preface this by saying that I spend an inordinate amount of time on this site (I love it, what can I say?) mostly in the iOS 5 forum and, thus, I see these sticky threads many times daily. Anyway, here goes:

Sticky: iOS 5: All the Little Things (Undocumented Features)

- Any way to consolidate the features onto one post? Also, in my personal opinion (which is of course subject to scrutiny) and after thoroughly reviewing the thread, the "(Undocumented Features)" part of the title is a bit misleading and unnecessary.

Sticky: iOS 5 Impressions Thread

- In my personal opinion (again), not a particularly critical thread as it's just a thread for various users' impressions, as the name states. I personally haven't found it helpful and, thus, question why it is a sticky.

Sticky: Can't move Newsstand to a folder [Merged]

- A bit outdated and unnecessary at this point considering MacRumors itself has posted an article about how you can move Newsstand to a folder.

Sticky: No Camera button on lock screen? [Merged]

- Should be either locked or replaced with a more helpful thread. I'll take this opportunity to shamelessly recommend a thread I created that addresses this and many other questions I've seen come up.

Sticky: IPSW file direct download links from Apple

- No issues with this one

That's all. Thanks gods/admins/mods for taking the time to consider the above and for maintaining a great site.

Cheers,
    r2shyyou

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It hardly matters anyway. People don't read stickies, nor do they search for existing threads on their issue. Merging posts or having stickies doesn't hurt anyone.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

No kidding, and it just makes its worse when someone starts their new thread with "I know this has been asked many times before, but..."

4. r2shyyou thread starter macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I agree that not enough people read the stickies or search for existing threads on their issue, as evidenced by the number of new threads I see similar to the various stickies throughout the forums, and that merging posts or having stickies doesn't hurt anyone however I respectfully disagree that it "hardly matters". Judging by the number of views and replies and the content of many of those replies, many people do read them and find them helpful. Or were you saying that my feedback hardly matters?

Whatever the case may be, stickies exist and are used throughout the forums so I just wanted to share my feedback on those that I see numerous times daily and this seems like the place to do that.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No, I was saying that Stickies are ineffective. Ironically, numerous "Please make such-and-such threads Stickies" have popped up over the last few months. Perhaps we should make a"If you want a thread to be made a Sticky..." sticky...

6. r2shyyou thread starter macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Gotcha.

I'm not familiar with vB's capabilities from a customization perspective but perhaps something to consider would be to make the stickies viewable while in the screen where one composes a new thread, such as the mockup below:

[​IMG]