IOS 5, is it like having a new phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Jul 16, 2011.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

We all know the 5 will be out at some point but for those who have ios 5 now. Is it like having a brand new phone? has it made you decide to stick with what you got more instead of going for the 5 more so due to what you have seen on ios 5?

I will likely be sticking with the 4 for a while so will having ios 5 be like having a new phone or is it being overhyped?

2. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Good question. I sure hope so! :)

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If you restore from new, it will feel like a new phone.
    Other than that, it felt like added features when I tried it out.

The main problem is, once iPhone 5 comes out, your iPhone 4 won't be the newest thing out there. So yeah, maybe it feels like a new phone now, but in reality, it won't be the latest one come iPhone 5.

4. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

It is to some extent. But not yet, once the GM or the final release that is available to the public is ready, and you can use all features, it will be pretty close. Def will be once the final is released and it can be jailbroken. as much as i like notifications, i dont really use them as much as i thought. I love the fact that it finally doesnt interupt the app you are in!!

5. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

That’s the biggest thing the iphone 4 won't be the latest phone. That alone will make people change even if the 5 isn't that much of an upgrade

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

iOS 2 didn't make me stay with my original iPhone
    iOS 3 didn't make me stay with my iPhone 3G
    iOS 4 didn't make me stay with my iPhone 3GS
    iOS 5 won't make me stay with my iPhone 4

I know I will be upgrading.

7. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

If you have the money to do it, then it's all good.

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

One of the things im looking forward to most other than the new notification system is imessages. It would be useful to just be able to send text messages from my ipad if i'm using it at the time instead of taking out my iPhone.

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

With iOS5, I can pretend it is a new phone. I find self delusion to be a tremendously useful tool.:p

My contract is through late 2012 - so I will hold out for iPhone6 - or whatever the hell they call it. You know, the one after the one coming soon.

In the meantime, I'll just enjoy the phone and the new OS.

10. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

When I first got iOS 5 b1 on my iPhone 4, it did feel new. Now that I have b2 on it, it doesn't anymore because of how slow, choppy, buggy and crappy iOS 5 is running. My buddy put b3 on his iPhone and it's even worse. I can't wait for the final release, so I'm sure it will feel new again once it's out.

Also, I'm surprised how the later betas are worse then the first beta. Usually it's the other way around.

11. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Yeah it's hard to judge it until the final release is out. I think right now it is just like a demo getting used to what the features will look like.

12. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

It's the other way around for me. Beta 3 is the best one for me so far.

OP: It doesn't feel like getting a new phone, it's just a bunch of new features. It makes the iPhone feel more "complete", if you get my meaning.

13. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

iOS5 makes your phone feel like an Android, slow, laggy, bloated, etc

I'm probably gunna upgrade my 3GS to a 4 and be done with iPhones

14. QuarterSwede, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I agree with this. iOS 5 adds so many features I want and use that I may not bother with jailbreaking. Although, I do love FaceTiming on 3G.

Beta 3 has been very stable so far (webkit is still flakey though). Definitely more solid and faster than beta 2 and easily as smooth as 4.3.3.

15. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

Not like a completely new phone, but j definitely couldn't imagine going back.

16. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

iOS 5 was way too buggy for me so I went back. I did like the new features but it doesn't make the phone feel revolutionary. IMO it's an evolutionary upgrade with many features added to catch up to the competition.

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If I JB iOS 5, it's going to be because of the quick settings mod that you can add in notifications centre.

18. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

It can save money sometimes too. :p

Why not just upgrade your 3Gs to an SGSII now and be done with iPhones? :D

19. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5259f Safari/6533.18.5)

I agree with what some said, not a new phone, but an entire OS upgrade can help you feel like you need to learn the phone again

20. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Seems nothing like a new phone and less of an upgrade than 3 to 4 was. The OS didn't change at all other than notifications. The base OS remains the same since 2007.