iOS 5 = Multi Touch Gestures are Back!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kramjam, Jun 6, 2011.

1. kramjam macrumors 6502

kramjam

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/features.html#more

iOS 5 includes a few new moves and shortcuts to help you get around even quicker on your iPad: Using four or five fingers, swipe up to reveal the multitasking bar, pinch to return to the Home screen, and swipe left or right to switch between apps.

Hurray!

2. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Oh man, Apple didnt leave anything for my wishlist today. Maybe widgets but they werent in the wishlist to begin with. Can keep it empty so gimme widgets apple. Even if I dont need them, I want them coz everything else I wanted, iOS 5 has it already :D

3. RayK macrumors 6502

This has been available to developers for a bit now. Glad they are making it for all tho. I use this feature all the time!

4. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Yep, win. So glad they've made this standard. I use it all the time and was starting to get shirty about the idea of having to redo the Xcode thing regularly...

5. Gilly Gil macrumors regular

Im very happy with the features they've added. Makes me even more excited since I just picked one up today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

6. xraytech, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

xraytech macrumors 68020

So did they fix the Lock Screen Lock-Up issue?

For those who don't know what that is, try this. Of course you have to have Gestures enabled

1) At the home screen, 4-5 Finger Pinch (I know I know, why would I do that when it does nothing. Just follow along)

2) Now put you iPad to sleep using the Sleep/Wake button.

3) Wake and try to "Slide to Unlock"

That's the Lock Screen Lock-Up

To get out of it you need to ReBoot.

7. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I just installed iOS 5 and I don't seem to have an option to turn on gestures like I did in 4.3.

Anybody? Is this something to turn on or should it be on by default?

8. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

those multi-gestures can be enabled on your iOS 4.x tablet now, without jail-breaking or buying xcode.

it looks like they added a few new ones in iOS5.

9. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

What are the new ones?

10. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

Wow it's funny I never ran into it, but just tried it and it's true. One thing you have wrong though, reboot not needed, just do the reverse (expand using 4-5 fingers) from the lock screen. That resolves it

11. xraytech macrumors 68020

Really? Doesn't work for me, I have to reboot. What version of iOS are you running?

12. Cha macrumors regular

I can't seem to get the freeze on iOS 5... but I was able to on 4.3.X...
    You do not have to reboot... you just have to wait a min or so and the slider will work again. To pass time I would rotate my ipad, then I was able to move the slider again.

13. bobright macrumors 601

14. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Question for someone who used multitasking gestures on 4.x and iOS 5

On my iPad 2 (4.3.3) when I use the 4 finger swipe from app to app I notiice a slight delay before the next app is responsive. Ex- going from mail to safari, there is a 1 or 2 second delay before safari is scrollable.

Does this still exist in iOS 5 or have they been optimized?

15. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

Maybe it's me being thick, but I can't seem to get the gestures to work. Do they have to be enabled in Settings?

Running iOS 5 on a first gen iPad.

16. TC25 macrumors 68020

I installed the itunes beta and downloaded the iOS 5 beta. What's the process for installing it on an iPad2? Yes, I am a paid iOS developer but this is my first try at doing this.

17. Gorki247 macrumors member

Really? How do you do that?

18. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

There is no lag!

19. deeddawg macrumors 604

Google is a really handy way to answer many questions quickly.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=enable+gestures+ipad+ios+4.3

The only part I'll add is that if the version 3 xcode is still available on the free version of the developer account (developer.apple.com), then no need to spend $5 for xcode v4.

20. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Are the "new" gestures only available on iPad 2 running iOS 5?
    I don't see them on my iPad 1 or any settings

21. Gorki247 macrumors member

OK, I misunderstood. I thought he meant without using xcode (and thus a developer account) at all. Should learn to read properly as he did write 'without buying'. My mistake :eek:

22. yugushen macrumors newbie

I used the Xcode trick to enable it on my iPad 2. Having used it for weeks, absolutely love it.

23. deeddawg macrumors 604

No problem, happens to all of us sometime.

There's also a way to do it via Windows, but I've not tried it (I used the free xcode3 for my ipad1 then later on my ipad2). Link: http://www.icopybot.com/blog/enable-multitouch-gestures-on-ipad-without-jailbreaking.htm

Glad the gestures are supposed to be in iOS5. Once you get used to them, it'd be difficult to go back.

24. Dave6195 macrumors newbie

Was just about to post the above link. Used it a few weeks ago and works perfectly on iPad 2 (4.3.3).

Could not use my iPad without them now, delighted they are standard for iOS 5.

25. hoanganh macrumors member

another bug of gestures in 4.3.x is when you use facetime! the gestures will go crazy, cannot control anything!