iOS 5 not saving tracking data? I need it for a criminal case

Discussion in 'iPad' started by woodcreeper, Jul 17, 2012.

1. woodcreeper macrumors newbie

I've been trying to access my tracking data for my iPhone 4s (iOS 5.1.1) but none of the methods described previously seem to be working anymore

(see : http://petewarden.github.com/iPhoneTracker/)

I contacted Apple and they told me that the backups don't contain tracking data anymore and that the information isn't stored on the iPad anymore either... can anyone (else) confirm or deny this?

I'm testing it on my iPhone, because I eventually need to get the track data off of my iPad.
    My iPad was stolen over the weekend, I recovered it, but am pressing charges and need the track data to determine the actual path of the thief and verify his alibi. He also stole several wallets from cars during that period, and the track data should be able to link him to the crimes... if only I can get the data off of the iPad!

thanks in advance

2. hamsup1o macrumors member

3. woodcreeper thread starter macrumors newbie

Right- so the question is whether the location data is saved ON the iPad, as long as the Location Services is still ON... such that a bit-by-bit backup of the iPad could reveal lat/long/time information?

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Apple has the location data and will turn it over to the authorities only upon their demand. They do not respond to customer requests, nor will they disclose their possession of said data. But rest assured, we're all being watched, tracked, and monitored in a very comprehensive manor. The data Apple collects is priceless to them and others.

5. Vizin, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I've read it several places in the last few days. It applies to all the carriers & Apple since they keep the most accurate database of their users. I'm sure Google will find it for you.

7. Vizin, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  8. gnasher729, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

It is very unlikely that Apple stores any data that allows them to respond to a request from authorities in the way you describe. It would probably be illegal for them to have that data.

Unlikely. If it is there, then probably in an encrypted form that you cannot read. Apple was told off for keeping the data on the device. So some engineer fixed that, and once you go and fix it, you fix it right for once and for all, so you can be sure you can't get the data off the iDevice. And Apple nowadays sends your iDevice the complete information of cell towers and Wifi hotspots in a relatively large area (because it is more efficient to do so), so you could only pinpoint the location within a few miles - _if_ you had the data.

If Apple somehow stored the data so that the legitimate owner of the phone could access them, then you could be forced in any criminal case to divulge the password to give access.