Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
The thread to check if iOS 5 on iPad 1 is usable.

iPad 1 only!

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
I can't find this type of general performance information in any other thread and support the OP.

I remember in the past, upgrading my 3g to ios4 was a huge mistake and I want to make sure upgrading the ipad 1 to ios 5 isnt like that molasses-inspired catastrophe.

phyrexia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
I can't find this type of general performance information in any other thread and support the OP.

I remember in the past, upgrading my 3g to ios4 was a huge mistake and I want to make sure upgrading the ipad 1 to ios 5 isnt like that molasses-inspired catastrophe.

Roger that; 4.3.x is just groovy for me (and slow enough as it is). If iOS5 makes it too slow...

I am going to upgrade to 10.7.2 first. Will report back with iOS5 findings soon. I will be jailbroken though.

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
Roger that; 4.3.x is just groovy for me (and slow enough as it is). If iOS5 makes it too slow...

I am going to upgrade to 10.7.2 first. Will report back with iOS5 findings soon. I will be jailbroken though.

Same here, dude. Appreciate it and keep us posted. I am also upgrading to 10.7.2 at the moment.

Jalu

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2004
I've been running the iOS5 GM which, as we now know, IS the publicly released version, and it's certainly not slower than iOS 4.3.5. On the contrary, Safari is quite a lot faster and the whole thing feels just as fast as when I first got it over a year ago. The lack of enough RAM shows when using tabbed browsing in Safari, however; it needs to reload a previously backgrounded tab quit fast. But that's certainly nothing new, it used to do exactly the same in iOS4. Other than this, it still remains very usable and fluid.

klnorth

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2007
Upgrade to iOS 5 Failure

I keep getting an Internal Error on the IPAD 1, and iOS 5 will not upgrade. Anyone else seeing this issue?

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2009
Just to keep the thread going, I'd be interested in user experiences on the actual update, not just the GM. I heard that the sophisticated swiping gestures have been turned off for IP1, which is real bummer if true. What else doesn't work on IP1?

klnorth

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2007
Me too. Apple servers are far too overloaded. We just need to be patient I guess.

----------

Scratch that it's just gone through - updating now.

--------
OK, thought I was having an iPad issue. Will keep trying. Thanks.

HuggyLowDown

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2010
Northern Virginia
Updated as soon as the clock hit 1:00pm. Got my iCloud set up for all my devices. iCloud has been working perfect for me on my 1st Gen. iPad. I love it.

There is NO multi-touch gestures, which disappoints me. :(

iMessage works great so far along with the notification center, newsstand, reminders, twitter integration, and all the other new features are working OK. Haven't had any problems yet. Although, Wi-fi sync has been a little glitchy, but it might just be my router or something.

Jalu

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2004
The GM IS the actual update, they carry the same buildnumber.

Apple's choice to disable the multitasking gestures has pissed me off a little, I can see no valid reason to do so other than artificially crippling the iPad1 a little to generate more iPad 2 sales.

powersurge

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Well Safari seems to still refresh google reader every time I open something in a new tab so its still pretty much useless to me. I'll still stick with Atomic Web Browser though the reader feature in Safari is cool. :(

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I've been running iOS 5 on my iPad since about Beta 4 and it's been stable and quick: At least as quick as iOS 4 was on it

HoriZon-UK

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011
Little issue when I go to Settings/General/Usage it crashes the settings app.

It did work but now I have 10gigs worth of apps on it, no go.

Anyone else?

till

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
New York or Berlin
I'm quite happy with everything but the Music (formerly "iPod") app, which now has a terrible interface and is missing many features. Pretty widget style, though.

Haven't noticed anything faster or slower. HTML and PDF rendering is about the same. Everything still runs just fine on my 16GB iPad 1. So upgrade without fear. Especially if you use alternative apps for music and podcasts.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Installing it was a bitch but iOS 5 is working well for me. Everything is smooth but Safari is still slow and the Music app sucks. Has anybody figured out how to shuffle yet?

Pixelryan

macrumors member
May 10, 2010
Washington
My feedback is its nice to be able to send messages from the iPad now but I miss the multi touch gestures. I used to be able to minimize apps and pull up the dock and swipe around silently like Minority Report, now i have to double tap a physical button, which makes noise and can eventually break. I like the notification system and look forward to games using it more in the future.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
for me, it's too early to give a fuller report. However, Safari seems to work faster. Also, I love the tabs. In fact, the iPad feels snappier, in general.

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
No wireless mirroring, no multitask gestures! I am disappoint!!

The wireless mirroring could arguably be limited by the hardware (not sure if the iPhone 4 does wireless mirroring). The display and resolution on the iPad is higher and it uses the same SGX540 to drive it.

But the multitask gestures, yea that is a massive dissapointment for me as well. It's a blatant use of planned obsolescence on Apple's part. They're withholding it to make people buy iPad2's. Really lame, Apple.

iTundra

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Given the feature degradation in iPod/Music and killing of gestures, I'm thinking this is an upgrade that's not worth it for us. Faster & tabbed browsing, and iMessage would be nice, but not sure they make up for what Apple are, rather irritatingly, taking away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.