Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
The Airplay mirroring to the Apple TV is an excellent feature. Combined with 1080p output would be awesome. Wait, doesn't the iPad 2 already output 1080p with the HDMI cable?

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Cool!

Bummer is now if I want to go 1080P I will have to re-encode my collection. I am happy with the balance of convenience and resolution of the current ATV, but as someone with borderline obsessive compulsive tendencies, I will do it anyway - LOL!

I'll just have to figure out a way to do 720P to the kids' TV since it does not do 1080P. I suppose I'll have to have theirs linked to their iMac with the 720P stuff on it where the living room TV will be linked to my MBP with the 1080P encodes.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
All I want is Mail, Safari, iTunes along with Bluetooth support for keyboard+trackpad.

Instant 99$ living room Mac. :D

Not enough on-board storage, you say? iCloud.

I was thinking of this too - but it will have a hard drive, BT, more USB ports and be the new Mac Nano - $249 (old AppleTV pricing)... :eek:

New A5 based AppleTV same as now just $99...

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005
??-hd-sd

Technical question -- if you've synced 1080p content, how does it show up in iTunes? I used to sync the same movie in 480p to my old 1st-gen iPhone and in 720p to my 1st-gen Apple TV. In iTunes they show up as a single movie, labeled "HD-SD", but it's really two files and iTunes uses the capabilities of the device to determine which version to sync. Similarly, I imagine I'd be syncing the 720p version to my iPhone 4, and streaming the 1080p to a hypothetical new Apple TV (or double-resolution iPad 3). So does iTunes have a way to distinguish between the two HD formats as it currently does for 480 and 720?

tarproductions

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010
San Diego, CA
iTunes Match?

Wonder if iTunes Match will include movies/TV shows + other visual media content available on iTunes. Would be sweet to be able to upgrade all your SD and/or 720p content to 1080p!

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
When Apple TV only supported 720p, everyone said who needs 1080p. I saw this coming. They just saved 1080p for the next revision. Simple Apple logic to milk money, really. They do this with all revisions. For example, iPad 3 will have a better camera next time, one that is usable.

jmnikricket

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

From a technology standpoint, I completely agree. From a functionality standpoint, trying to squeeze 10 guys around even a 27" monitor versus a 72" TV makes for vastly different experiences ;)

Bokito

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2007
Netherlands
With iTunes Home Sharing it's already possible to get 1080p playback on the iPhone 4 without frame drops. Only problem is that the buffer is too small to be actually useable in most cases.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
I was thinking of this too - but it will have a hard drive, BT, more USB ports and be the new Mac Nano - $249 (old AppleTV pricing)... :eek:

New A5 based AppleTV same as now just $99...

All those features would mean two different products. And at 249$, it's 2.5 times as expensive for nothing.

They can enable hard drive support for the built-in USB port. Otherwise it already has 8 GiB of flash storage, maybe the next version will have 16 GiB. Keyboard and trackpad is supported via Blutooth (I think the chip inside the :apple:TV supports Blutooth).

The goal is to keep is low-cost. All Apple needs to do is a new integrated keyboard+trackpad all-in-one, but that's only a matter of making a new aluminium shell for the components of both units.

At 249$, people will start looking at a netbook instead. At 99$, there's basically no competition whatsoever.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I don't consider apple serious about 1080p until they actually start offering it in their own itunes store.

Get enough 1080p capable :apple:TV units in homes and some studio will be tempted to try a 1080p version of something in the iTunes store. If that's profitable, others will quickly follow. The problem now is that if EVERY studio wanted to test 1080p content rentals for :apple:TV right now, it would be doomed to failure since none of the established :apple:TV hardware can play it.

Soon after it's possible to make money, some studio will choose to try to make that money.

PaulieORF

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
Connecticut
Slightly off-topic, but every time I read an article or quote that refers to the forthcoming iPhone as the "iPhone 4S", I cringe. I seriously hope Apple doesn't call it that. It's just silly, even if it is only a minor bump in specs and features, please just call it iPhone 5. Doesn't bother too much though, as I would buy it even if it were called the "iPhone Abortion".

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
If this is true and the ATV, iPod Touch, and iPhone all come out in September with A5 chips and 1080 capability, the iPad will look chumpy. It would make sense to upgrade the iPad in September as well with A5 and any small improvements they can muster. iPad should always be cutting edge of their tech along with iPhone, since consumers are craving the devices at this time.

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
i don't get the obsession with HD TVs and such. my monitor had higher resolution back in 2004

Yeah but your monitor is not running at 600hz like my 50" samsung plasma, nor are the black levels as good.

Defiantly gonna through the ATV2 on a 720p plasma somewhere else in my house and get that new ATV3 for the living room. Seriously 99$ is way too good of a deal for ATV, I will upgrade every year...

HMFIC03

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2011
Tokyo
would anyone that actually has the tv 2 go out and buy the tv3, just because it offers slightly better picture?

I would if it has a router built in with a USB jack for external hard drives. Then I would sell my previous router to pay for it.

Pumpkin King

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2007
The only only things I want (and they're such simple requests) are:

1. An App store

2. Expand the supported codecs and allow me to pair the ATV to a NAS so I don't need to have a computer on and running iTunes just to see my library.

I don't even care about resolution!

djepsilon

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
Calgary, AB
Technical question -- if you've synced 1080p content, how does it show up in iTunes? I used to sync the same movie in 480p to my old 1st-gen iPhone and in 720p to my 1st-gen Apple TV. In iTunes they show up as a single movie, labeled "HD-SD", but it's really two files and iTunes uses the capabilities of the device to determine which version to sync. Similarly, I imagine I'd be syncing the 720p version to my iPhone 4, and streaming the 1080p to a hypothetical new Apple TV (or double-resolution iPad 3). So does iTunes have a way to distinguish between the two HD formats as it currently does for 480 and 720?

Currently no, iTunes will not tell you the difference between 720 and 1080 movies since they are both considered High Definition formats in the first place. Apple could maybe add it in the form of an iTunes update but I doubt they ever would. You will likely be stuck with having two versions of the same video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.