iOS 5. What do we know?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Funkymonk, May 31, 2011.

1. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

Anything we know for sure is going to be in the update?

Damn I'm excited :D

2. texcor macrumors member

I don't know for sure but it better come with an advanced notification system.
    Notifications in iOS is just a joke.

I'm pretty sure we'll see iCloud integration into the system.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

4. Funkymonk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

You cheeky....

5. RayK macrumors 6502

We do know it'll be announced next week at wwdc.

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Touché

7. daleycss macrumors regular

I love how we really know absolutely nothing about this next update... It's so exciting...

8. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I think the fact that Jobs will be there and iWork apps were already released for the iPhone/touch(which would normally be 'filler' in a keynote), should mean that iOS5, iCloud, etc, should be big.

9. REM314 macrumors 6502

REM314

I hope it includes a huge UI redesign for iPads. Im tired of the iPad having essentially the same OS as the iPhone, it can be optimized to do so much more. I'd like a better notification system and a redesign of the lock screen to actually provide some information like number of emails, weather and current notifications. As well i'd like some new form of multitasking but im not holding my breath because Apple will just dismiss anything other than their own "quasi" multitasking as ruining battery life (not that they would be wrong but im willing to sacrifice a little battery life for multitasking).

10. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Apple will make it match as many Honeycomb UI features as it can without being blatant about it.

11. Funkymonk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

I hope they do. Would be so awesome.

12. Wordslinger29 macrumors member

I'd like this. Widgets would be great with the larger screen. I just hope whatever features Apple gives us with iOS 5 will be available on the first gen iPad. I just ordered a 16 gig refurb. I'd hate to lose out on new features, especially if they allow more customization.

13. RayK macrumors 6502

I'm for more iPad functionality as long as they don't slow the device to a crawl. It wasn't pleasant using a honeycomb tablet at all. I would like a better notification system and I really would like a home type screen. ICloud syncing everything would be nice as well.

14. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Honeycomb, WebOS, and a bit of their own stuff, all dressed up as brand new thinking.
    Re: Copy & Paste/Multitasking: "We weren't the first to this party, but we're gonna be the best." :D

15. iphoneos macrumors newbie

iphoneos

So exited.......Love this comment :apple:

They (apple team) really manage to hide almost all details about the next major update 5.0

5 Days until the preview and we r knowing nothing LOL

You :apple: did it.. keeping secrets thats what :apple: is good at it well tech too =]

16. nickbarbs, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

nickbarbs macrumors regular

My wish list that should be provideable:

- CENTRAL FILE SYSTEM / ACCESS THROUGH USB
    - Did i mention I'd like to be able to plug my ipad into any computer have it mount internal storage that is user accessible as well as accessible to any app?

GIVE ME CONTROL OF THE STORAGE I PAID FOR. ALLOW APPS TO ACCESS DATA ON THAT STORAGE. YOU CAN STILL ENFORCE YOUR DRM WHILE ALLOWING THIS. Flipping files between apps is straight ghetto. The same file should be accessible from different apps (IE Download PDF with LogMeIn to the CENTRAL FILE SYSTEM, then access with GoodReader, save/edit ON THE CENTRAL FILE SYSTEM. IE, download a movie file with LogMeIn to CENTRAL FILE SYSTEM, open with GoodPlayer from the same file system. Why should the movie file exist twice on my ipad when i open it with the right app after downloading. So noob)

-Notifications that aren't intrusive / annoying / dissapear when you are just trying to keep doing what you were doing
    -More information on homescreen, use that empty space for gosh sakes.
    -More control over attatchments in the Mail App
    -Support for outlook calendar events (.ics)

My wish list that they will never allow
    -allow me to make calls, or at LEAST allow SMS from the iPad. Zero reason why it can't do this because it can recieve texts, apple just decided it wasn't cool enough for a clock app (??) and SMS app (???). Literally, removing functionality when it can be supported, is FTL.

SMSing on the ipad would be SICK.

17. BergerFan, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I really hope for:
    * A baked-in, sandboxed faux file system(repository).
    * Up and downloads in Safari(to & from above repository).
    * Passcode control for apps(Restrictions is too draconian.)
    * REAL image management in the Photos app(sorting, deletion, adding to, moving between).
    * Cover Flow!
    * Game saves and progression via Game Center, so you can swap between devices, and continue where you left off, even if you deleted the game and reinstalled.
    * Game Centre chat & matchmaking.
    * WhatsApp - style, baked in iChat app.

18. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I know they want to keep things simple for the average user, but there is room for some enhancements in the Mail app. If Apple is serious about breaking more into the enterprise space, there are a couple of features that need to be added to keep up with the other mobile operating systems out there.

+ Ability to flag emails for follow-up
    + Ability to apply labels/categories to emails
    + Resource scheduling that is common to Exchange setups
    + Easier way of adding attachments to emails (this basically falls under better file system)

I'm sure there are a few more, but these are the obvious ones off of the top of my head. I don't expect them to spend an exorbitant amount of time/effort in this area, but they should do at least enough to keep up. It makes a big difference to folks that use their iDevices for work purposes.

19. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I would seriously pay for that. After getting an iPad 2, it's one of my biggest gripes.

20. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I think Jobs should start out showing an iPad with a Windows XP UI on it. Just for kicks. Hype it like it's the next best thing with amazing features and so on. Then turn around and look surprised, claiming it's the wrong slide, and say he'll be firing someone for putting it into his presentation.

Then he switches to a new UI. Amazing graphics, with a list of OS features everyone has been begging for. Ubiquitous printing, a file system, a command line if they want. Oops... All the features Windows XP had when it first came out.

21. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

My hope. Is for everything posted above and to be able to add a photo after starting a email.

22. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

Good God I thought you could already do that and got a rude awakening about a week ago. Something so simple and overlooked. I hope that's in there too

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You can go into photo app, copy the photo(s) you want to attach, then paste them into your email. Not the smoothest way to do it, but it can be done... sort of.

24. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

For me I need it as I send photos of property I own.
    That is a must have for me simple but annoying.

25. deeddawg macrumors 603

You can already do this.

1. Start composing your email
    2. Switch to the photos app
    3. Tap/hold on a photo and select "Copy" from the pop-up
    4. Switch back to email app
    5. Tap/hold where you want to insert photo, select "Paste" from the pop-up.
    6. Repeat steps 2-5 as needed

Granted this is neither intuitive or simple for multiple photos, but the capability is there to do this.