IOS 5. What do you look forward to?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JetBlack7, Aug 3, 2011.

1. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

One thing I hate about is that we all have to wait, so I opened this thread to know what things are your most excited about IOS 5.

Personally, I can't wait for the new revamped Game Center UI, looks much more clean, neat and exciting since I'm a big gamer. One other thing I'm looking forward to is the option to finally add custom ringtones, which I change very frequently!

What about you guys? :)

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

My top things:

- camera application accessible from lock screen w/ volume button controls
    - notification center with sbsettings type controls for wifi / 3g / brightness etc
    - imessage (makes it that much easier to stick it to the greedy carriers charging for text messaging)
    - pc free

Hopeful:

- nuance voice dictation the way android allows you dictate anything

Maybe next year:

- iOS maps navigation (turn by turn like android)
    - theme store (like the appstore but ios themes instead)

3. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

The big ones for me will be Wi-Fi Sync, PC Free and the Notification Center. The other little updates to the camera, photos, email, calendar, safari etc... are nice as well.

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

The Notification Center doesn't have Toggles. Just a weather widget, a stock widget, and your notifications. To get Toggles I would assume you'd have to Jailbreak.

5. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

I cant wait for iOS5 to come out, and the jailbreak community to go nuts with all the new amazing features.

Mainly OTA Updates and Notification Center.. SBSettings + App Switcher + Notification Center = Universal task manager. LOVE IT!!

6. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

With imessage I should be able to drop my texting plan down to 1,000/month and save $10 that's what I'm looking forward to the most. Everything else I either already have or don't care about.

7. Monkey Johannon macrumors newbie

Monkey Johannon

I'm very excited about the features themselves...but i think what I'm looking forward to the most is a more intuitive interface (better short cuts, hot buttons, etc)...iOS is such a clean and simplistic system, but it has a lot of long steps to do certain things compared to phones that are many years older than even the first iPhone.

8. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

WiFi Sync
    Notification Center
    Camera Updates (yay, we have the ability use the volume buttons to take a pic built in now :rolleyes:)

Are what I'm looking forward to the most. Also curious about the new OTA updates in iOS5 too.

9. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

All the features, except iMessage. I have a feeling Apple just copied BBM.

10. Govern1 macrumors newbie

I'm pretty excited for the new notifications and reminders. I normally use todo and sync that, but the reminders app with the geo-tagging looks great.

11. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

I see how youd think that, but to be fair.. Apple has 3 products, 1 of them is known for 3G, the other 2 for being mobile-at-home devices (iPad, iPod)

It only makes sense to unify their product line, in a way that they can communicate to each other.

In a way, they might have been influenced by the inclusiveness that BBM is so well known for.. But overall I think Apple is doing this to further connect their devices.

12. FortMOney macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Jailbreaking

13. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Definately WiFi sync and the new Camera features. Finally I can crop pictures on my 500 pound 'smart'phone!! :D

J/K

14. WRIGHTRACING macrumors regular

x2:D:apple:

15. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

So the notification center wasn't inspired by anything? Copied or not, I don't see why that reason alone would make you not look forward to it.. If you have other reasons then fair enough.

For me actually they're the two I'm look forward to the most, but so many updates here and there, photo editting, wifi sync, can't wait :)

16. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I waiting for the cloud stuff in a way that I can buy content and load when I want ... And reload again and again.

And WiFi sync is nice too

17. JetBlack7 thread starter macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

I asked inside IOS, not jailbreaking.

18. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

What I'm looking forward to the most is how it will be on a 4" screen. :D

19. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Have you used BBM? iMessage is just built into the regular text messaging app, no? Other than the fact that the device now knows it's sending messages to other iOS devices, it's really nothing like BBM.

How does the delivery receipt work in iM? Looks as though it still just gives you a time stamp at the beginning of the chat?

I wish everyone I text used whatsapp.

20. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

It changes from Delivered to read when they read the txt as well as the time they read it. I've never used BBM, but I suspect it is the same. Apple really did a nice job. A small touch I like is when iMessage is taking a little longer to send your message a little yellow triangle appears next to your message. If you click it you get the option to send your message as a text message.

21. walie macrumors 6502a

correct

22. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

iMessage
    Notifications Center
    Ability to use own tones for text alerts (and Email/voicemail)

23. jonrando macrumors 6502a

Everything. :D So excited for this update and I can't wait for it to finally be released.

24. schaffinosx macrumors member

I'm looking forward to numerous things that have been mentioned in this thread already, but above all, I'm anticipating the new Notification Center. The main reason for this is that I'm simply sick of playing a game on my iPhone, only to be interrupted by a text message that freezes the game.

For example, if I get a text while playing Tiny Wings, my streak is completely demolished because the game lags for a moment after the text has been closed.

A huge deal? No, not really. But it'll add a new level of convenience to the iPhone, and it'll definitely come in handy.

25. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

All the posts wanting to know when IOS 5.1 will be released...