iOS 5: What is using my battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nipz, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Hi Guys,

Before it happens: i did search and didnt come up with anything. I wanted a wick answer and dont have time to search through all of the topics.

Anyway.

I have a Dev account and have installed iOS on my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 - works great. However my battery sucks on my iPhone - it doesnt take more than 4 hours at a push!! I drops about 1% a minute when using it - sometimes faster!

Any idea what might be killing it?

My brothers iPhone 4 with iOS 5 is fine.

2. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Did you restore as a new phone or from a backup? You should restore it as new.

3. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

It was from a back up :( same as my brother though.

How does this effect it though?

4. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

I had the same problem on my iPhone 4 that I'd set up from backup. I came to the conclusion that because of the AppStore can download multiple apps at a time doing updates on the iPhone totally killed my battery. It also seems to be taking hella long time to charge :(

5. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

This is an issue for loads of people who have installed iOS 5 !!! Me Included.

We have to remember this is the first beta and not fully optimised yet.

They do say not to install the beta software on phones that are being used as your primary phone lol but do we listen? Hehehe

6. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Try turning off location based services for Calendar and Reminders. These were eating up my battery pretty fast.

7. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

Course we dont :D

Yea i noticed the first (and only) time i tried the reminders location thing that my battery hardly lasted until i reached that location lol!

8. goMac macrumors 603

These sort of questions are kind of useless until the final version is out.

It's beta software. Pretty much any issue you're having is probably because iOS 5 has bugs and isn't done.

9. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

We all understand that but its not right that someone have rubbish battery whilst others have no difference from 4.3.3!

Its nice to share knowledge on things!

10. kppolich macrumors 6502

kppolich

^ exactly, its a BETA with a lot going on. I'd wait it out until the official release and see if there is an improvement.

11. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

I use an app called NetStat to monitor connections, and in iOS5 you have 2 connections related to push CONSTANTLY active, and keep randomly pinging data (can check this without by resetting data usage and checking it later after not doing anything)

This is a major gripe for me, I don't use any push at all, and prefer manual email, on iOS4 I can get rid of all push connections by logging out of the "Store" and another trick that clears all Push.

I will probably not be getting iOS5 due to this, really does kill the battery

12. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

I have turned off the "Diagnostics & Usage" setting to see if that helps.

I love iOS 5 to much to go back so will have to hope beta 2 is better :)

13. aleni macrumors 68020

i have iOS 5 and it was restored as new.

the battery life is killing me, the other day i had 37% before i went sleep, by the morning i woke up, the iPhone was dead. lol.

i turned off location service off, switched off weather and stock widgets to see my battery life has increased, but still not as good as iOS 4.3.3.

14. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I don't see any location services for either. I haven't ran Reminders so I expect that....but I have ran and actively used Calendar and there is no Calendar app listed under Location Services.

15. bimmahh macrumors newbie

battery

I restored from backups then noticed the battery drain. I logged out of the icloud account and that worked for me. fyi - I have location services on and push mail for three accounts on.

16. stewart715 macrumors 6502

-Do not restore from backup
    -Disable iCloud (new feature that drains alot for syncing purposes)
    -Disable location services (new iOS 5 features have alot of location based items)
    -Disable push notifications
    -Disable sending phone data for development purposes

I went from a 13% per hour battery use to about a 3-5%

17. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Yeah, I've been running fine for awhile now. Only thing I disabled was iCloud. The syncing system probably isn't optimized or has some bugs right now that's just murdering the battery.

I have location services on, weather widget active, MobileMe set to sync all it can plus an IMAP account checking every 30 minutes.

18. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

When we say disabled do we just mean deleting the account?

19. geiman macrumors newbie

Restart your phone.

I haven't narrowed it down to which apps, but on occaison if I close an app but don't completely close it (ie... close it in multitasking bar) it will drain my battery very fast. Sometimes, even if I completely close all apps my batter still drains fast. When this happens, I just reboot the phone and its back to normal. It must be some kind of bug where a process isn't being completely killed or a memory leak of some kind. Either way, a quick reboot and I'm back to iOS4 batter life. I just keep an eye on my phone. If it starts draining faster than I think it should I just reboot it to be safe. This has been working for me so far.

20. pmz macrumors 68000

Restoring from backup has nothing to do with battery life, and anyone who tells you different has no idea what they're talking about, whatsoever.

Several people on my testing team, 50/50 have restored from backup / installed clean, all have the same poor battery life.

Its iOS 5 beta 1. Its going to be a drainer until memory holes get plugged. There are many bugs and issues, all of which translate to faster battery drain.

DO NOT listen to people who tell you restoring from backup makes any difference, as it does NOT.

21. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

If we all did this who would be testing the software? :D

22. goMac macrumors 603

Then contact Apple. They have a bug tracker.

23. funrush macrumors regular

Location based reminders are buggy, they drain my battery in two to three hours. (iPhone4)

24. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

I'm not sure what you mean by this response? I meant if EVERYBODY was to hold out and not use the iOS 5 Beta as suggested by someone then the software would not get tested and the bugs wouldn't be found !!

25. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Nope, I just have all sliders set to off in the iCloud area.