iOS 5: What should be done.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blues003, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Blues003, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011

Blues003 macrumors 6502

Good day.

Recently this part of the forum has been flooded with numerous topics about the new iOS 5 features, and comments on how to improve them. I created this topic so that all of those suggestions and ideas could be summarized; eventually, the conclusions could be transmitted to Apple. Who knows if they can come true.

I will update the list as we go on. Note that I might include divergent ideas, as long as they are both reasonable and make sense. It'd be up to Apple anyway to decide which way of doing something is the best.

I will start with some I have already read about:

#1) SMS/MMS and E-mail Quick Reply
    - Enable/Disable available in the Settings.
    - Background App would freeze instead of closing; after answering, the app would resume.

#2) Reply to text/mail/twitter/facebook post from the lockscreen

#3) Bigger icons in the Lockscreen.
    - Slide-to-interact-with-notification is sometimes hard to perform due to the small icons.

#4) Icons in the status bar that would show need to check the notification center
    - Hypothesis one: if 2 messages and 3 mails, show 2 text icons and 3 mail ions
    - Hypothesis two: if 2 messages and 3 mails, show the text icon with a number 2 and the mail icon with a number 0
    - Hypothesis three: make the carrier name and the notification icons alternate between them, every 2 seconds, in a downards cube-rotation fashion
    - Hypothesis four: show simply a ! or another icon (with a number perhaps?), which indicate the need to check the notification center

#5) Timestap every text.

#6) Ability to create groups of people in the adress book.
    - For group-texting or e-mailing.

#7) Create a Toggle Widget in the notification center
    - Enable/Disable available in the Settings
    - Toggles definable in the settings: 3G, Wi Fi, GPS, Bluetooth, Airplane, Brigthness, Sound

#8) Ability to hide native apps.
    - Done in Settings.

#9) New icon options for Folders.
    - Done in Settings.

#10) Allow 3rd party Apps to update their data while on background (with a clear warning) (ex: USA Today)
    - Perhaps already possible due to the new APIs.

#11) Higher number of apps per folder.

#12) Any app (such as Mail) that sends a file to another app using the "Open In" should not have to copy a file X number of times, where X equals the number of times the file has been asked to open.

#13) Option to Snooze on the Calendar/Reminders

#14) Group E-mails

#15) New Way of choosing SMS receivers:
    - Many businesspeople have groups they commonly send emails or SMS. The current implementation of having to click the + button and go through the list every time is time-consuming and tedious. Once a user has picked the first person they want to email or SMS, they should be taken back to the email/SMS app. If they then push the + button to add more people, the list of users should have checkboxes next to their names (or a dropdown if they have multiple methods of contact, each with a checkbox). The user should then be able to select however many of these people they want.

#16) Tweak Notifications UI
    - Notification boxes are still intrusive and cover some buttons on some apps.
    - Swiping down for the notification center is sometimes mistaked by swiping down on the app, and vice-versa (ex: fruit ninja interpreting a swipe down as a notification bar pulldown, isntead of as a slice)

2. eat me macrumors member

timestap every text (a friend of mine who switched from Android is baffled by the lack of this)

ability to create groups from address book, send out group texts to these groups etc, maybe an option to display people's pictures next to a name

create quick settings widget (wi-fi, bluetooth, etc) a'la weather and stock widgets

give ability to remove native apps from home screen

that's off the top of my head for now

3. Blues003 thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright eat me, thanks for the input. I do think you can associate pictures with contacts though? Someone confirm this before I add it to the list.

4. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You must be new here. First "search bar" there are many threads like this already. Second Apple doesn't care about random email with feature requests. It won't happen.

If you want this stuff you need to jailbreak you phone.

5. Blues003 thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually, not really. There are a number of threads talking about specific issues/suggestions on iOS 5, but I have seen no thread trying to gather all of those issues/suggestions into a easy-to-consult list. I have seen threads about notifications, quick reply, etc, (where do you think these ideas came from?) but none trying to gather all of that information together.

Secondly, I also do not intend to e-mail Apple. There is a place specifically for developers to suggest new features. Take for example user celticpride678's post, on this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1167580 .

I am merely trying to make it easier for developers to keep track of users ideas, and suggest what they think are interesting concepts.

Cheers.

6. MacRuler macrumors 6502

i really would like to see those SIMPLE additions.

7. Grimes macrumors regular

8. Blues003 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Please feel free to suggest more features you would like on iOS.

9. acoustic- macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You're right. How dare this rookie biotch even REMOTELY try to gather any requests into on post and put them all in one place.

How dare he try to make finding all the recommendations easier.

How dare he come up with an idea that you don't like.

Get off your pedestal. If he IS new, how about a hello. That's how the world usually works when you're not sitting high and mighty behind your computer, doesn't it?

10. Blues003 thread starter macrumors 6502

acoustic-, I appreciate your gesture. However, let it go. Nothing won in keeping off-topic going. ;)

So, any new ideas to sbumit to Apple? :p

11. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Why? Just...why?? Why are sites like this filled with tools like you??

12. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

This would be nice for email too. Say you're playing a game and you get an email notification. It would be nice to click on it and have the email app appear "over" the game. Then have an option for 'send' or 'close' and that will close the email app that is over your game and you're right back at the game. Obviously this wouldn't work for multiple emails or texts, but it would for one notification.

13. acoustic- macrumors member

I'll stick with my quick reply post and let others add to your list ;)

14. AFPoster macrumors 65816

15. acoustic- macrumors member

Too difficult! ;)

16. Blues003 thread starter macrumors 6502

Great idea! Added! :D

17. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

PLEASE implement #10!!! I've been asking for this since Apps were first developed!!!

18. Blues003 thread starter macrumors 6502

Perhaps it is already possible due to the new APIs. Who knows. Any more suggestions?

19. RoboCop001, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2011

RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

I have a feeling Quick Reply for texts and emails is going to be one of the "big" features of iOS 6 lol.

And then they'll surprise us with ..... wait for it...... Facebook integration too.

What else should they add to iOS 5? Hmm as far as I know, Lock screen notifications just show notifications and not upcoming Calendar events.

They need to add upcoming calendar events! Like show the next 3 or something.

They should also "fix" something that I find really annoying.

It seems like every time you use "Open In..." it duplicates the file you're opening for every time you tap "Open In..."

I'd really like them to simply move the file in question to a public area that any app can access.

Would this be possible? Security concerns?

Annnd.... Scenario!

So let's say you have the latest episode of Doctor Who on your iPhone because you missed the live airing due to your cable being out.

So you've placed it in Dropbox because you didn't have time for it to copy over since you slept in and are late for your 1.25 hour commute to work.

You download the video to the iPhone's local Dropbox storage while on the bus and then click Open In... AV Player. It opens and you watch the awesomeness.

But then you get an email, so you switch to the email. Oh no! The video is no longer in AV Player now! So you go to Dropbox and click Open In... AV Player again. But now it says "You are running out of space. Please delete photos and other crap."

So in conclusion... the Open In... should simply move the file to a publicly accessible storage space so that any Open In app can access it instead of duplicating it over and over again.

And also the guy who makes AV Player should have it remember the Open In video instead of losing it upon exit lol

20. Blues003 thread starter macrumors 6502

RoboCop, Facebook integration is rumored to actually exist somehow... I'll wait some more time before adding it to the list.

As for your second request, I unfortunately did not get what you meant. Could you please try to explain it better?

21. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

You mean the Open In... one?
    I mean that every time you want to open a file in another application from Mail, for example, it will duplicate the file in question and open it in the other app. And it seems to duplicate it every time even if you open it more than once in the same app. So if you tap "Open In..." on a file 5 times, you'll have 5 copies of that file.

Or the Calendar events one?
    If it's the calendar events one, I mean... the lock screen should constantly be displaying your next 3 upcoming Calendar events.

22. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

so you seem to be very serious about this list. what are your plans with it? if all you want to do is make a list to be read here, you're kinda spinning your wheels, and the wheels of everyone who adds to the list.

23. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

I think the idea is that iOS 5 devs should be writing in to Apple about these and any other features they'd like added.

Only iOS 5 devs can do that since they're the only ones who are supposed to have a copy of the beta lol

24. Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

There's A LOT of little things I was hoping for in iOS 5, none of which have actually been added. One of those things, for the purpose of your list, is the ability to add an unlimited amount of apps into a single folder.

25. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Seconded! Or at least a few "pages" in the folder like on the home screen.