General iOS 6.1.1 Released

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bradl, Feb 11, 2013.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I guess I'll start the what will be million page thread here.

iOS 6.1.1 just dropped.

For all the new guys, do NOT update to it, as you will lose your jailbreak. Wait for the OFFICIAL announcement from the evad3rs on if the exploits are still there from the evasi0n jailbreak.

Again: trigger happy and pull the trigger on 6.1.1, you may lose your jailbreak. Don't update until an announcement comes out on what you should do.

EDIT: So far, this appears to be only showing up for iPhone 4S users. So the exploits may still be there. Again, don't update until we hear something from the evad3rs.

BL.

2. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

question:

what is the best and most reliable way of backing up my jailbreak phone?

if i backup to icloud can i restore it as it is now should the worst happen?

3. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

you can not back up your JB apps / tweaks to iCloud. You can back up all off the Apple stuff to iCloud.

look through this thread for help on backing up the JB part
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1491830

4. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

right.

so if i backup to my computer i could restore everything yes (via itunes of course)?

5. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Agreed.

Also, 3rd Stickied post in this forum has everything you need:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=603129

BL.

6. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

only the apple partnot the JB part (not with iTunes anyway)

7. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

thanks but i think that goes for people who want to restore to a non-jailbreak device.

i want to be 100% sure that whatever apple throws at me in terms of upgrades i can restore my phone to what it is now (jailbroken) with all my tweaks and add-ons.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

My guess too is it was just a quick fix for the 4S that had many 3G issues with 6.1
    I doubt they closed any JB holes but we wont know for sure till the Dev Team takes a look at it.

9. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

You would need to restore to a non-jailbroken device to update and jailbreak again. You don't have a way around it, except to stay at the current version you are at, hope that they don't close the signing window for the iOS version you are on, and use a 3rd party tweak to backup the tweaks you have.

Otherwise you're stuck.

BL.

10. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

There is no way to do that.

just do not upgrade your iOS until you know if the JB guys have found an exploit and can JB the new iOS.

11. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

i see. thanks for that info.

so basically if anything goes really wrong and you are forced to restore to a newer iOS you can forget about jailbreaking it again.

12. bobright macrumors 601

I probably wont even update till IOS7, my phone is JB customized to my liking, and runs great. Unless there was an update that improved battery life dont care about it really.

13. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

yes and no..... you will have to wait until they find an exploit in the new iOS, or if they find away to use your saved blobs to move you back to the last JB iOS

14. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Until the reliable JB teams say that it is okay, yes, but that is also if the signing window for 6.1 has not closed. If it has not, you can restore to 6.1 and jailbreak again. Here is where saving your SHSH blobs comes into play. But if you have a good, working JB now, I seriously doubt you'll have any problems.

My iPhone 3G is still jailbroken and unlocked on 3.1.3, and runs fine (for what it can run).

Until last week, my 4S was on 5.1.1 jailbroken, and again, hadn't had a problem.

I'm waiting to see what the evad3rs have to say before pulling the trigger on 6.1.1. It may require a tweak to the JB software and that's it; but we won't know until they've had a chance to look over 6.1.1 to see what is there.

BL.

15. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

16. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

AFAIK, 6.1.1 is ONLY for 4S, so, there is no way to accidentally update if you have a 5 or any other phones.

17. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

Fortunately, I changed mysettings in iTunes to manually update to latest iOS from automatic check and update.

I'll hold off until new info is out. Thanks for the heads up. :)

18. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Oh, and planetbeing just twitted that they will update evasi0n to support 6.1.1 soon.

19. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

My sentiments exactly.

20. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Ask/ye shall receive:

https://twitter.com/planetbeing

All we need to do now is wait for the JB to drop, save the SHSH blobs, update, and JB again.

Sucks for those 4S users who did some major tweaking (may now have to wait until their themes/tweaks/apps get updated), but at least the exploits are still there.

BL.

21. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

22. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

"This update fixes an issue that could impact cellular performance and reliability for iPhone 4S" is what it says on apple.com. I have no problems with cellular performance and reliability for my iPhone 4S, so if there isn't more I guess I'll just lean back and let this one pass.

23. shifimofo macrumors newbie

Asking on behalf of my dad with regards to this;

He received a message from Vodafone advising NOT to upgrade to 6.1 as they have an issue regarding the network and were waiting for Apple to release a fix, which is presumably this.

He currently operates 6.1 evasi0n jailbreak. How does he go about upgrading to 6.1.1 ? Do you simply plug and and click "Update"? Or will he have to lose the jailbreak, all the tweaks and setup and then re-jailbreak? I've never had to do this before myself. My only experience was from 5.1.1 to 6.1 - which involved me doing a factory reset in order to clear the phone of all the crap I had played with beforehand.

24. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

Why would you wanna backup your jailbreaks? If you've purchased them you have them nice and tidy in your little list. Perfect!

I can understand people mixing with themes and such but I'm not one of them. :D