Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Press 911, and cancel call immediately...right...nothing can go wrong with that?

They do realize that IF the call isn't canceled, and goes through, even on a hang up, that Police will respond, and the person(s) can be charged with a fake 911 call?

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
<rant>
As a (overwhelmed) single father of two, I despise people that spend time trying to figure stuff like this. Unless this was found by error...

But I still despise all the virgin nerds that waste time, like figuring out new iphone from strings in betas...
</rant>

As a father of two, I agree. Keep up the good work with your kids.

harrisondavies

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Way to go guys, lets tell the world how to hack NORAD next.

Does no one believe in discretion anymore?

A quiet word to Apple tech would have been sufficient, rather than tell potential thieves how to access your phone.

Did you really need to publish the whole process?

I don't have state secrets on my phone, but I would like my personal information kept private.

:mad:

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
In other news, you can get into a locked car by smashing the drivers side window, and crawling in...

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
In my opinion that's still a good lock screen. Who would be able to figure that out? Especially someone that would try to steal an iPhone these days!

No one has to figure it out. Macrumors has provided would-be thieves with a solution to unlocking the screens of the phones they've stolen. Well done, Macrumors!!

mrmcgoo

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2010
I hope this doesn't mean 911 calls increase

It seems irresponsible for the full instructions to be published and then republished here because you know loads of people will try it and end up making unnecessary 911/999 calls.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I might be wrong but hitting the camera button on a locked phone and then going from camera to picture rolls and then hitting home button gets me into the phone without ever entering the unlock code.

You are wrong.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
how the hell do people figure this stuff out!
Still now it has been found out it needs to be fixed sooner rather than later.

Cp96alumni

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011
Posting this will now have hundreds of people trying this out and calling 911. Doing so is a chargable offense and you can be fined if it is not a true emergency. Good luck explaining to the police that you were just trying to unlock your phone because you forgot your passcode.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
7. Stand on one foot
8. Wave iPhone over head
9. Sing "The hills are alive with the sounds of music"

Exactly.

10. rub your tummy and your head at the same time.

Granted, any way around security is important, but who/how do they figure this stuff out. talk about too much time on their hands...

teknishn

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2006
How in the entire F did somebody figure this whole procedure out? That is my question. Seriously, some ppl need to get a life.

SR1234

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2013
911 Caution

I would be very careful about a 911 hangup. In NYC the cops respond to 911 calls that are terminated and are not too happy when there is no emergency. This was accurately portrayed on a recent episode of the show Girls. I know this to in fact be true because several years ago I was dialing the 913 area code, forgot to dial the 1 first and as a result accidentally keyed in 911 and hung up. 10 minutes later there were cops at my door. "Is everything ok?" "Is there anyone else in the apartment?" Not amused at my mistake.

leroypants

Suspended
Jul 17, 2010
Are you guys seriously downplaying this bug? If I've lost my phone and it takes a few hours to realize that it's lost, I'd expect that during that time someone has not been able to pick up my phone and bypass my lock screen to steal my contact's information.

Of course they are, the drones are falling over each other while rushing to defend Apple rather than pointing out a serious problem.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Wow, thats quite a good effort to find this loop hole!

Now the mechanism is in the wild Apple will have more incentive to fix it.

Yes. dont put info on your phone you cant afford to lose.

Especially difficult if you use the phone for business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.