IOS 6 adoption stats?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by dbit, Oct 24, 2012.

1. dbit macrumors regular

I'd love to see some statistics on the %/speed of adoption of ios 6. I'm willing to bet it's among the slowest yet, but I'd be interested to see some stats. Anyone seen any?

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

During the event yesterday, Tim Cook mentioned that iOS 6 was now on over 200 million devices:

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Looks like we are up to 61% in a month. Article here.

4. dbit thread starter macrumors regular

Crazy. I thought maps would cause adoption to take a huge hit. I dunno what's so attractive to offset that. I'm not upgrading my personal iphone just yet, I use maps for so many things I can't justify switching at this moment.

5. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

My guess would be the ability to update OTA. And people like having the latest Apple "whatever" so that probably contributes. And Apple's generally pretty good at marketing and the media's pretty good at helping them.

6. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

My now obsolete ipad 3 is still on 5 as are the rest of my devices. Primary phone 5 is 6 no choice, obviously.

7. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
  8. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

That's because 90% of users report no issues with Maps - its a blown out of proportion issue. Sure some have problems, but not enough to slow adoption rates.

Personally loving iOS 6 - using shared photo streams, maps and passbook on a regular basis.

9. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

I think you read my mind and posted my thoughts.

10. cynics macrumors G3

Wait? Are you saying 10% of people are reporting issues? That's a HUGE percentage! I doubt it's that high, if so that's just embarrassing.

11. dbit thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I also underestimate the amount of people that are just like my dad. He doesn't know what ios6 is, he saw a red flag on his phone that said update available and just followed the instructions.

12. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

13. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

I suspect that for most of the folks who own IPhones, never even pay attention to what an iOS update does. They just update, and are happy with the new features. I always wait to upgrade until at least the first revision comes out to fix the bugs that show up initially.
    For me, I have always used the Mapquest app for turn by turn directions, and I bet the Apple Maps, for the vast majority of the population, works just fine.
    I am not at all surprised by the high adoption stats.

14. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I agree with cynics, 10% would be really high.

If ~60% adoption = 200 million devices, then 10% would be ~33 million, which would equate to a lot of people (assuming a generous 2:1 ration of devices/person, that would be around 15 million people).

But all of this depends on the definition of "problems" or "issues" people have with Maps.

15. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

I've been on iOS 6 since the day beta 1 was released. Maps has come a long long way since then, some of the oceans were in the wrong places. :)

16. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

That's a Google Maps car. Apple doesn't use cars for mapping.

Upgrading to iOS 6 on my iPad is the biggest mistake I ever made. I sorely miss my jailbreak.

17. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Not when you compare it to what some are characterizing as an epidemic and a completely broken app....

It's only broken for people in certain areas - wonder what the percentage of people having issues with Google Maps was when it was introduced - or even last year?

18. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Because it's preloaded on new iDevices the number's probably rather high. After using it for some time it was just to rough, buggy, & annoying to stick with.

In my case because I also found my iPhone 5 uninteresting, I simply retired it in favor of returning to my superb iPhone 4S. Wow! Little did I realize just how great iOS 5 with Google Maps is.

So, I'm very happy with my solution. Both the 4S & iOS 5 are a much better example of what Apple is capable of.

19. NedBookPro macrumors 6502

I think the problem is here, that once you update, you can't roll back, so once that was done, you were *forced* to adopt it. Thats why so many devices have iOS6 on them.

What would have been more interesting had a rollback been possible, what that figure that would have been.

Highest rollback adoption in iOS history? Maybe. I would have been one of them.

20. alent1234 macrumors 603

just like antennagate the maps thing is blogger internet hysteria to get page hits. its got its problems but it works pretty good. not as much data as google, but not a big deal

21. cynics macrumors G3

When you compare that number it is though. 10 people in a room and 1 is a dissatisfied customer? If all your business was is maps that statistic would put you out of business and your company would be labeled as terrible.

Thankfully maps are just a portion of iOS and there are alternatives so it doesn't have a massive effect on users switching. If this was Garmin for example it would not be a pretty sight.

22. maccompatible, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

maccompatible macrumors 6502

First of all, chances are, the wife has a name. And for something as stupid as a minor software update, she can do to HER phone what she wishes. You probably also forbid her from seeing her family, eating what she wants, what job she can have, who she votes for, etc. What a sad life for her to live...

----------

That's the main reason I'm keeping iOS 5. I have an iPhone 4. My jailbreak offers more than iOS 6.

23. nparmelee macrumors 6502

Two iPads updated to iOS 6 in our house, iPhone 4 and 4S were also updated, since sold with purchase of iPhone 5s. Apple maps works just fine where we live and finds most of the POI names we've tried.

24. shurcooL macrumors 6502a

He even has a similar signature design as you.

----------

Everyone in my family, myself included, updated to iOS 6 on day of release (or day after). Except my mom, cuz she has the original iPad. :(

No issues with Apple Maps map data (obviously it's not as good, but good enough by my standards), and the app itself is much improved (navigation directions, able to search by contact names directly in app, etc.).

25. cynics, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2012

cynics macrumors G3

I'm nearly positive he's just exaggerating to explain how he feels about the maps. :) "Wife" is not derogatory, we don't need an explanation of relationships and names on a public forum. Lighten up a bit... :)