iOS 6 - Apple is tracking your every move!!

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by abnospam, Sep 22, 2012.

1. abnospam macrumors regular

abnospam

I think I discovered something alarming. In iOS 5 there was a location setting called "Traffic". Most people left this on assuming without it they received no traffic in maps. The actual toggle controlled the crowd sourcing feature of traffic. Your phone transmits your location and speed to apple to improve traffic. They did this in iOS 5, I suspect, to build critical mass of data before releasing iOS 6.

So, in iOS 5 I turned this off and saw nice battery improvement. When I upgraded to iOS 6, I opened the new maps and clicked traffic only to get an error that Traffic was disabled and to go to settings. I go to settings and BOOM, the traffic toggle is gone. apple has removed it! My toggled OFF must still be in the plist file. Resetting all settings fixed the traffic issue

What does this mean? It means you now have NO CHOICE in reporting traffic data to Apple. Not only is this a privacy concern, but it chews on battery. Is this even legal to prevent us from turning this off?

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

Turn off location services completely and enable Airplane Mode if you're that paranoid.

3. andyriot macrumors member

The "Traffic" toggle is in Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Traffic

4. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Apple has to track your every move to collect the date to improve services, or where do you think they get all the date for to improve them? Google, Facebook and many other companies have been doing that for years (on their websites) and with smartphones it's become standard to track people - not for governmental or criminal purposes but for commercial and consumerist ideals tailored to you.

All the information you gather with your iPhone is sent to Apple, processed via various algorithms and sent back to give you information and search results that are specifically put together for you. So you better live with that or go back using a simple cell phone.

5. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure that Apple is using anonymized data so that all they know is that "an iPhone is going from X to Y at Z speed" not that your iPhone is going from X to Y at Z speed.

If you want to use Traffic Data, you have to give them Traffic Data. That seems fair to me.

With iOS 6 Apple easily has the best privacy options/control of any of the mobile OSes out there.

P.S. You sound like the kind of person that would be interested in turning on:
    General > About > Advertising > Limit Ad Tracking

and disabling the Diagnostics & Usage data. You might have missed these, as they are not in the privacy section.

6. Cubytus macrumors 65816

Google did it for years and continues to do so on all their services without revealing what they do with collected data and nobody's caring?

Apple started doing it a few years ago for very precise purposes and there's an outcry?

Proves either:
    1- Apple users community like to make a fuss of small things
    2- Google users community don't know what "privacy" means, and are perfectly fine with it
    3- both

7. BFG86 macrumors 6502

Good thing I opened this thread and decided to check my settings. I thought a restore saved these settings but went in and checked and they were all back to on again.

8. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

That Traffic toggle is still there in iOS 6.

9. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

I was completely unaware of this setting, thank you for posting.

10. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I hope they are watching and recording my every move, especially the derogatory comments to Siri about how utterly, ****ing woeful it is at understanding me.

"Set a timer for three minutes".

"OK. I found these tables for three". *proceeds to list restaurants.

:mad:

11. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

Yeah, and here in Denmark, all phone carriers is forced by the government to save SMS'es, call history, where you've done what, and your browsing history for a year. The Danish Security and Intelligence Service logs over 10.000 things about every citizen in Denmark every year.

So get over it :rolleyes:

12. white4s macrumors 65816

im gonna go with option 1, which is whats happened since weds. every lil thing is being bitched about. no wonder apple customers have this certain outlook from everyone non apple

----------

weird, all my settings transferred except the traffic

13. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

If you want privacy lock yourself in your house and never come out, and even then you may not be safe

14. Kukulcan macrumors 6502

15. MacVault macrumors 65816

Even then "they" can STILLLLLL track YOU!! Even with the battery removed THEY CAN TRACK YOU! MuaHahahahahaha!

16. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

How do you expect to get GPS and turn-ny-turn directions?

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    So? Siri knew you and two other people were hungry before even you knew it yourself. That's the genius of Apple's design, and why they're the best in the business.

I swear. Some people gripe just to gripe. :rolleyes:

18. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I really hope that's ALL sarcasm ...

19. Thoughtstorn854 macrumors newbie

lol funny

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Nope. [​IMG]

21. rdbecker macrumors newbie

Is there something about the internet that breeds paranoia?

22. paulcdb macrumors regular

I dunno why people buy phones and then complain about tracking... mobile phone companies have been tracking phones ever since they've been out!

Sadly apples success means there's going to be people who will pick up every little fault! Most new tomtoms track you, google tracks you... how else do you get the information about traffic congestion in the first place? :rolleyes:

Do people really think they live such exciting lives that apple care about what they do? shesh!

23. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

I think my cable company is watching me through the cable box :eek:

24. bartonlynch macrumors regular

Did you even try to turn it off in your privacy settings before making this scary thread? You can still turn it off.

25. Julien macrumors G3

Julien