Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alan7467

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
I've been getting poor battery life with beta 4 on my iPhone 4, and iPad (3). However, I haven't set either of them up as new since iOS 5. So I'm probably shooting myself in the foot there.

Regarding poor battery life. I know multiple people who get incredibly poor battery life on their iPhones without using them much. Two of them are on sprint and are often in poor coverage areas. I should also mention that my AT&T coverage at home is really poor and it definitely impacts my battery life compared to what I see at work. Anyway, my point is longevity off charger will always vary greatly from user to user and sometimes from variables outside of their control.

jnmiah

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
I've been getting poor battery life with beta 4 on my iPhone 4, and iPad (3). However, I haven't set either of them up as new since iOS 5. So I'm probably shooting myself in the foot there.

Regarding poor battery life. I know multiple people who get incredibly poor battery life on their iPhones without using them much. Two of them are on sprint and are often in poor coverage areas. I should also mention that my AT&T coverage at home is really poor and it definitely impacts my battery life compared to what I see at work. Anyway, my point is longevity off charger will always vary greatly from user to user and sometimes from variables outside of their control.

i have a suggestion you can make one of your devices ios 5 only and the other one beta only.

jaysen

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
I'm seeing subpar battery life - 6-7 hrs off charger from 100% with what I would consider light-moderate use (1 hr of web browsing, phone/sms only)

jackal123uk

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2007
England
Last night, after a charge to 100% around 23:00 with about 30 mins wifi browsing before bed to 13% on waking up at 07:00!!

It's been said before, but network provider definitely play a part, some areas of my house get no service and I'm guessing (hoping) this may have been the case. I'm with Orange in the UK by the way.

I'd like to see a location based solution to this - when the phone enters a region of no service, instead on keeping trying to check for service (at the detriment of battery life), the phone should wait for a significant change in location - Apple, if you're reading this; I'll expect my cheque in the post :D

Septic

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2011
Wow, with the last charge I got quite a nice battery life.

Current Stats: 58% remaining, 2 h 6 m Usage, 1 d 8 h standby

3G and Wifi activated, screen on auto
Light Usage, phone calls, web, facebook, app store, a little bit of music

Nyk0n

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2008
Somehow I doubt this. Who's to say you didn't let it go to 100 before unplugging it so the time didn't reset? I've never seen an iPhone or iPod touch get over 6 or 7 hours.

iPod would last good long time if Wifi and BT was off and screen stayed off and only music playing...

Nyk0n

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2008
I think its silly to complain about poor battery life on the iPhone.

There are at least half a dozen battery cases you can buy that will nearly double your iphones battery life (honestly what job outside would have you using your phone constantly for the 8-10hr shift?) if you have that kinda job you can get a mophie juice pack etc.. if you work indoors there is likely power bring the AC adapter and the dock cable (ipad charger charges iphone way faster BTW thanks the 2.1amps)

the point is people can configure the phone to last longer if they need to make it a little longer (turn off 3G, BT, WiFi, location, PUSH lower brightness etc...)

my iPhone 4S 32GB lasts much longer with Beta 4 than Beta 3 or 2 or 1 actually much longer than it ever did, I leave auto brightness at about 1/2 Bluetooth and Wifi and 3G always on, Push for one of my 3 email accounts checking hourly for other 2, service locations is on and i use my phone medium to heavy its always charged at night regardless of percentage left. (this does not hurt Li-ON batteries BTW)

prior to berta 4 100% at 7am and about 50-58% by the time i got home about 11-12hrs later. beta 4 im seeing this percentage lasting from off charger to 11-12hrs later with 60-70% left, truly i couldn't tell you the difference in actual use but im a pretty consistent user.

I'm happy with this new battery life for sure

figaro331

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2011
Status bar on

i'm experiencing some battery drain since beta 4 :(

I'm agree with you about battery drain in beta 4. I've noticed that the apps using GPS drain most of the battery. Since my status bar on I've found weather widget uses GPS very often and despite turning off diagnostics&usage,setting time zone,location based iAds and Genius for Apps battery life is still very poor.
Hopefully, in future betas it would be resolved somehow.;);););)

jnmiah

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
I'm agree with you about battery drain in beta 4. I've noticed that the apps using GPS drain most of the battery. Since my status bar on I've found weather widget uses GPS very often and despite turning off diagnostics&usage,setting time zone,location based iAds and Genius for Apps battery life is still very poor.
Hopefully, in future betas it would be resolved somehow.;);););)

Just caught that today :(. Well I know apple will make it better :) :) ;) ;) :D

----------

I think its silly to complain about poor battery life on the iPhone.

prior to berta 4 100% at 7am and about 50-58% by the time i got home about 11-12hrs later. beta 4 im seeing this percentage lasting from off charger to 11-12hrs later with 60-70% left, truly i couldn't tell you the difference in actual use but im a pretty consistent user.

I'm happy with this new battery life for sure

Same here I love the battery life and yes it is silly to complain. :D

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
There's nothing inapplicable about this complaint; simply stop obsessing over making the phone 2-3mm thinner and the battery life will improve drastically.

I see it this way. Tons of people complain about 3 things:
  • No physical keyboard
  • Need more battery life
  • Not durable enough

The way I see it, Apple is making the phone as bare as possible and you can add those features depending on need. Want a thin unprotected phone? Keep it bare. Work in an environment where your phone takes a beating? Get an otterbox. Work outdoors without power? Get a battery case or solar charger. Want a physical keyboard? You can get one of those too.

I don't want a bigger phone, so don't make me lug a bigger battery, keyboard, or ruggedized phone because some other people have a need.

The point is the iphone is about making it what you need it to be.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Wow, with the last charge I got quite a nice battery life.

Current Stats: 58% remaining, 2 h 6 m Usage, 1 d 8 h standby

3G and Wifi activated, screen on auto
Light Usage, phone calls, web, facebook, app store, a little bit of music

Doesn't sound very good to me. I'd have an hour more of usage than you at 58% remaining on 5.1.1. I hope the GM / public release is better.

Grizlee adams

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2012
Better

After a month, my iphone 4, ios 5.1.1 battery started draining, though not as quick as some nightmares i've read online. Took every step necessary. Reset settings, turned off all notifications, push email, turned off wifi and 3g, Restore, battery replacement, phone replacement(twice)(refurbished phones)(lame!) and my battery was still depleting 3% every five minutes. Two days ago i restored my phone to 5.1.1 ios, set up as new, then upgraded my ispw file(ios 6 beta 4) im now getting on average(depending on usage) 2 hours for every 10 % battery life used. Sometimes better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 102

Nyk0n

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2008
Im getting amazing battery life took it off the charger this morning at 9am (now 11:43am) used it 3 hours while on standby for 13hrs 26min and still have 83% gonna let it ride off the charger tonight see where it is in the morning and repost tomorrow after work (9pm Mountain Time) where im at.

I have noticed the more things you store on your phone the faster the battery drains (i used to fill it with over 200 apps and the rest of the space with tunes until I had less than 50MB free battery would barely make it through my 10hour work day)

32GB iPhone 4S
Screen on auto bright, Bluetooth/Wifi on all day, notifications on, locations on, push enabled for 1 of 3 email accounts 2 of 3 email accounts set to check hourly. 112 apps installed have 19.5GB used 8.6GB available. BT connected to my car for commutes to/from work totalling about an hour and a half per day

Attachments

• batt_life.PNG
    batt_life.PNG
    101.1 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
I don't have the iOS 6 beta 4 on my iPhone 4, but from what I've heard, battery life has been much better on iOS 6 when compared to iOS 5.

----------

Because you'll then get a message saying the iPhone has been plugged in since the last full charge?

An update on mine.

Do you have an iPhone 4 or a 4S?

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
I have iOS 5.1.1. My battery life isn't where I would like it, I can only get about four hours of usage per day. Sometimes the battery drains 25% per hour of usage. Would iOS 6 improve the battery at all?

Wowzera

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Brazil
Somehow I doubt this. Who's to say you didn't let it go to 100 before unplugging it so the time didn't reset? I've never seen an iPhone or iPod touch get over 6 or 7 hours.

If you listen music without turning your display on you can have a huge usage time with low battery decrease.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Everybody try reseting all settings it works! Awesome battery life!

I figured I would give this a shot and sure enough it works. I had dropped 12% in 4 hours and I saw your post earlier today so I reset all settings and I have only dropped 6% in the last 5 hours. I will have to test it out tomorrow after a full charge but so far I'm getting much better battery. I was getting great battery life on my 4s with 5.1.1 but ever since I updated to the iOS 6 beta 2, 3, and 4 my battery has not been great. I will have to try this on the ipad.

Nyk0n

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2008
Well near end of my second full day and Battery still over 30% go go iOS 6 !!! i hope apple can find more way to save battery.

not too bad i think

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    65.9 KB · Views: 98
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.