iOS 6 beta screwed me

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by eriatilos, Jun 16, 2012.

1. eriatilos macrumors newbie

I restored to iOS6 beta, and my iPad restarted. I cannot activate it at all, when i try to restore back theres just a blank screen for the device in iTunes.... What happened. Am I screwed? 64gb iPad 2

2. jnl1211 macrumors 6502

jnl1211

3. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

4. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Is your UDID registered with a developer account?

5. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

And you wonder why Apple suggest not using your main device. Or better yet, wait for the official release because you have nothing to test since you're not a developer.

6. kurosov macrumors 6502a

Well as i doubt a developer wouldn't know the solution to this issue all i can say is you shouldn't mess with things you are not qualified to do.

7. eriatilos thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I got it figured out. Thanks for suggestions on DFU mode. I am not a developer, but I have played with this kind of stuff before on my iTouch. Wont be doing it again though....

8. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

great. so you are a clueless teen who just wants to install the 'latest' BETA os to show off to your friends. :rolleyes:

9. eriatilos thread starter macrumors newbie

No actually. Im neither a teen, nor a showout. Is there a reason why you are being hostile?

10. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

That's why it's beta. Stay clear if you do not want to be "screwed".

11. *Calypso* macrumors regular

Probably because he pays $99 a year for a developer account and therefore thinks of himself as a better person than the average Apple fan, who is just curious about the latest iOS - an essentially free product (in the final version) that is withheld from the public for absolutely NO good reason. Other companies are proud to have public betas, creating attention for their product, while Apple seems to be terrified by the idea of just one screenshot leaking. Doesn't speak for the quality of the product, if you ask me.

12. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

The real developers don't like it when people get curious and try the beta out for themselves.

13. idkmybffjon macrumors member

Seriously guys, the bug that lets you install this beta without being registered will surely be closed in beta 2, meaning you won't be able to update. beta 1 has a set expiration date at which your phone will stop functioning. if you have any luck you'll be able to DFU back to iOS 5 without screwing your baseband firmware up.

this isn't a matter of who deserves to install the beta, its a matter of, installing it without being registered is going to cause a lot of people a lot of problems soon, and I'm sure apple will be blamed.

14. Brenz macrumors member

No good reason? :confused:

What about all the issues with the BETA which has lead to thousands of non-developers that have downloaded the OS illegally complaining all over forums and social networks that their phone or tablet is not working properly because they installed something they had no reason to because its a beta and not meant to be used by the public.

15. eriatilos thread starter macrumors newbie

Developer or not, no excuse for being a dick. If my iPad was going to be beyond repair, I would have accepted that, and blamed myself. I am actually posting this from the now functioning beta.

I appreciate those who helped me. :D

16. *Calypso* macrumors regular

Apple could have released the Beta to the public saying that you install it "at your own risk" and that you won't get any support for beta software. They could have just added an easy downgrade option to iTunes, so everyone having trouble could have switched back to 5.1.1. In the current situation Apple designs betas to potentially brick your device with no official way of downgrading.

17. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

That's not the point of this program... it's the Developer Program, not the iOS Beta Testing Program. The only reason Apple even has these betas available at all is so developers can see how their app works on that version of the OS and so it can be optimized for iOS 6 or whatever beta they have (4, 5, 6, etc.). There is an easy way to downgrade... DFU mode, which has been said here numerous times and as long as you made your backup with iTunes 10.6.3 you'll have no problem restoring your phone to exactly how it was on 5.1.1. Lastly, these betas aren't designed to potentially brick devices... that's just a common, negative effect of running beta software on any device whether it was the beta release of Mango on Windows Phone or iOS betas. They're betas for a reason; they're untested and in most cases unstable builds of software.

18. RDowson macrumors 6502

RDowson

What's an iTouch? ;)

19. HawaiiMacAddict, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Yeah, eriatilos, I agree with RamboRab here. I'm in the developer program and have never heard of an iTouch as well. Is that the soon to be released 7" tablet? Oh wait, I think it may just be the new Apple-branded TV set. I get so confused with these made up or non-existent names.

BTW, on a serious note, have you considered that Apple is ultra concerned about the user experience and that releasing a public beta of any software product they release is simply not "in their DNA"? In other words, as has been mentioned before, the betas as released to DEVELOPERS only, so that we can test our apps on Apple's beta software. As a matter of fact, it often changes prior to release. Apple has even stated that things will change. After all, they're really not making the betas for us developers, they're making it for Apple. They just allow us to use the betas to test our apps prior to their release. Apple is NOT MicroShaft, after all.

20. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Some good reasons NOT to make the Developer Preview public:

1. It's NOT a consumer preview or a public beta - it's for developers to test their apps with leading up to the launch. The reason: to make sure that apps are ready to go live when iOS 6 is released.

2. Because it's a developer preview, not all of the features are in place yet. When other companies release public betas of a product, that product is essentially complete other than last-minute bugfixes.

3. There are elements of iOS 6 which were NOT discussed at WWDC, therefore they are under NDA. Developers agree to the terms of that NDA when joining the program. It sounds like "Calypso" has no regard for the developers and just thinks he/she should automatically be entitled to the developer preview.

21. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

This used to be true but certainly no longer.

Siri works so badly that's its the subject of multiple lawsuits.
    Apple called it a beta but they still made it the star of iOS 5.

iTunes match wasn't called a beta but it just as well may have been for as well as it works.

Heck, you could even call the iPhone 4 a beta because of the whole antennaegate thing. Yes, it was blown up and yes it only affected a small percentage of users but lab tests have proven that it was a very real issue.
    The fact that Apple was able to remedy it in the 4S only proves that it was a design flaw that never should have happened.

And now iMaps or whatever the final name turns out to be is shaping up to be just an other beta product. I sure hope I'm wrong but judging by the last few years, I won't be.

Apple is still making tons of money and they're still topping everyone else in customer service but that doesn't negate the fact that they've released some definite clunkers of late.

22. eriatilos thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? So we are not adult enough here to the point where we have to criticise a post like that?

iPod Touch.... Sorry for all of you who have a tight *******.

Why did I bother coming here?

23. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

99% of the iOS related threads end up this way, don't take it personally man :rolleyes:

24. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Maybe because iTouch is not an apple product as shown on this website. If you can't even get the name right, why should we read the rest of the post?

25. ZacNicholson macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

i download betas and show them off to my friends. i think its cool. i have been doing it since ios 5 and os lion. :D