Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erawsd

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2011
One major productivity feature I'd like to see is multi-window view. I'd like to snap 4 or 5 windows into view, and switch to a webpage or document that I'm working on, then snap into the window view again and click on something else to get to that.

Agreed. I've been wanting expose-style multitasking on the iPad since day 1. Some other big changes I'm hoping for:

- An iCloud Enabled Document Repo that any app can access/save to, just like the photos app.
- Universal Spotlight Support
- Quick Reply
- Quick Toggles
- Widgets API for Notification Center.

I think all of these are very reasonable.

sbr3

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2012
i'd love to see apps that interact with the lockscreen... e.g. weather-information, radio, alarm clock etc etc...

sometimes the simplicity of ios makes it just complicated... if i want to see weather-information i have to unlock my device and search the app and then open it... then when i want to listen to another radiostation i have to click just too often....

with widgets in the lockscreen it would be by far easier!

another big point:

you are watching a movie or browsing the internet and then someone sends you a email or an instant message.... you get the notification at the top of the screen and click on it... app you are currently using switches into backgorund an email/instantmessaging app goes foreground...

BUT WHY?!

some REAL multitasking would be really awesome in such cases.... you press quick reply, and both apps go to splitscreen or the messaging app apperas with opacity and you quick reply while the app u were using before doesnt stop running...

its pretty annoying to watch movies and to chat or email with someone...

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
no matter what my opinion is? Um, I have used Windows 8 for a few months now and I would consider it more annoying than groundbreaking.

Yes. Even if you consider it a poor OS and annoying, you need to give it the credit for being extremely innovative. Have you been using it for a few months on a desktop or on a tablet? Because I'm referring to how it functions as a tablet compared to iOS.

iOS is just absurdly simple. I'd like to see something like those windows that can snap into the side of the screen on Win8.

r-sparks

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2006
England
iCloud where's it all at as far as Apple's concerned. Expect to see more integration, especially in light of OS X Mountain Lion, due at the end of Summer. This might be as simple as inviting developers to make better use of iCloud to store their own data.

Maybe some kind of doc sharing service in iCloud? Perhaps even user-generated content sharing too -- if you record a movie, you'll be able to share it with anybody easily. Video sharing is one area underserved at the moment and much talked-about by tech journalists.

Maps will be improved, probably. Expect elementary turn-by-turn navigation using Apple's own map data. I'll bet money this will only be available in Europe and USA for at least the first few months, however. Apple might offer more functions for a premium, such as spoken directions.

There might be more geofencing stuff too. I'd like to be able to switch settings if I leave a particular area, for example (like turning on 3/4G when I leave the house).

More Apple TV integration, most likely, especially if Apple's really going to launch a TV soon. Expect things like TV remote control apps and perhaps a listings app too, but only if you have a corresponding Apple TV. But do expect to use your Ipad or iPhone has a controller for your Apple TV.

We might finally get Facebook integration, on a par with the Twitter integration.

Munnichs

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
Things like Facebook integration, iCloud iWork sync with OS X, something like AirDrop for IOS,,, Notifications synced between IOS devices and mac's, stuff like that. Not groundbreaking but nice features towards a more complete os. Mail app and app store rewrite would be nice though, and away with the horrible working google maps of course. I also guess they will rewrite iTunes for mac, long time no real update..

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
If Microsoft makes a truly good tablet, and manages to make windows 8 a success, I would consider trading in my iPad. But I have hundreds of dollars invested in music and apps, so they better really have something to show if they want to draw us long time apple fanatics away from our precious libraries of apple-sold software.

bcam117

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
Sandboxing is nice but iOS apps need a better way of sharing data.

For the love of god please allow apps to share things with each other. Coming from having an android phone this was the biggest problem I found with iOS, I've learnt to live with it but I still would be happier if I could share with other apps not just twitter..

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
You lost me at this line:

Don't ask for opinions and then insist only yours is the right one.

What I mean is I don't care if you like it or not... Think it'll succeed or not... The point is the OS is a huge change from anything we've ever seen. It is groundbreaking. You can think its terrible and a failure, but still agree to that.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Regarding a "filesystem," I have a feeling that we had a preview of what it'll look like in iOS 6.

Just look at Mountain Lion's iCloud Documents in the Cloud.

For a start, downloading an app shouldn't throw you out of the App Store just to scroll to the download icon. Just like the iTunes app, when you click download the icon should fly into the bottom right corner and show you an active downloads list. Same for app updates. I would also like to see time remaining/download speed.

Agreed; just how they do it in the Mac App Store.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
What I mean is I don't care if you like it or not... Think it'll succeed or not... The point is the OS is a huge change from anything we've ever seen. It is groundbreaking. You can think its terrible and a failure, but still agree to that.

Ah ok I see what you are saying. Thanks for the clarification :)

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
I've been using iOS since 2009 and agree it's beginning to feel a bit dated. It's simple, it gets out of my way, but I sometimes wish it could do just a bit more up front.

As others have mentioned, an Expose like feature would be great. Instead of swiping to the far left to pull up spotlight search, built it into notification center (probably rename it and include some additional widgets and give devs access to the API). Your far left panel is now expose, and shows a small preview of all the apps you have open and a preview of them. Tap to open.

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Yes. Even if you consider it a poor OS and annoying, you need to give it the credit for being extremely innovative. Have you been using it for a few months on a desktop or on a tablet? Because I'm referring to how it functions as a tablet compared to iOS.

iOS is just absurdly simple. I'd like to see something like those windows that can snap into the side of the screen on Win8.

I have been using it on a desktop. How long have you been using it on a tablet that you are able to form an opinion?

Again, there might be some nice features, but I would still not consider trading my iPad for a Windows 8 based tablet. Trust me, Microsoft will figure out a way to screw it up. I also have serious doubts HW makers will produce a Windows 8 tablet as slim, with the same battery life, and screen resolution of my iPad 3.

r-sparks

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2006
England
Things like Facebook integration, iCloud iWork sync with OS X, something like AirDrop for IOS,,, Notifications synced between IOS devices and mac's, stuff like that. Not groundbreaking but nice features towards a more complete os. Mail app and app store rewrite would be nice though, and away with the horrible working google maps of course. I also guess they will rewrite iTunes for mac, long time no real update..

You, sir/madam, are a genius. AirDrop for iOS would make TOTAL sense, especially if it allows file or data transfer between iPads! I can see it arriving sooner or later. Although I suspect one reason we might not get that is because Apple really doesn't want us manually putting media files onto our devices that don't go through iTunes or iClouds first. Also, are the wifi chips in iOS devices compatible with the special trick Macs pull-off to create ad-hoc networks while remaining part of a wireless LAN? I wouldn't be surprised if we had to wait for this until the iPad4.

But wouldn't it be interesting if Apple's announcement of iOS 6 turns on its head the whole Lion/Mountain Lion thing, and they announce they're going to integrate features from OS X into iOS...?

----------

As others have mentioned, an Expose like feature would be great. Instead of swiping to the far left to pull up spotlight search, built it into notification center (probably rename it and include some additional widgets and give devs access to the API). Your far left panel is now expose, and shows a small preview of all the apps you have open and a preview of them. Tap to open.

Something like a two-finger screen tap-and-hold to bring up Expose would work really well and be intuitive. Just tap-and-hold with two fingers anywhere, regardless of which app is active.

I'm a little surprised there aren't that many tap-and-hold gestures in iOS. There's a couple in apps like Pages.

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
I think iOS could use some updates too, but I still think it's better than Android and Windows 8 overall, at least based upon what I'm hearing about Windows 8 anyway. Sounds like it may already be a bust with developers.

What I hope is that the things that the IP4S has that aren't on the iPad yet will be added with iOS 6, and I'd like to see the overall interface prettied up a bit.

Actually the iPad still leaves a lot to be desired on the software front especially for business users who would seriously consider ditching their Dell laptops for an Apple iPad if only it could do a few more basic things.

We have this place of loonies wanting mini iPad whereas Window 8 could well come in as a rock solid OS, plenty of apps and developer support and can do all those 'silly' things that iPad refuses to because its oh so PC.

Apple have had an easy ride with Android which is still a junk system in my opinion. Windows 8 is different and has the potential to hit Apple hard. If that POS Kindle sold so well imagine how well the W8 tablet would do in all shapes and sizes including the fancy pants fuschia 7.85" that many of the ladies here want.

Its not form factor thats the problem it's iOS' capabilities. Windows 8 could seriously damage iPad unless Apple delivers with iOS 6. It has to kill Windows 8 before it even begins to take off.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
As a developer I'd like to see:
Support for widgets at least in the pull down menu.
Siri API
Shared file system: most likely iCloud, but on device would be nice. Not everyone has the bandwidth to use and check iCloud everytime.
Live Icons: Let us modify the icon for an app like calender at least. Integrate it to a push type setup, so the app isn't always checking, thus saving battery life.

As a user/developer:
Assignable apps for Siri and Dialer. I'd like directions for a place, and not use the standard Google Maps. Let me have it go to my voice turn by turn GPS application. Give me the option to make a call via Skype.
Open apps via voice.
Quick toggle of common settings: WI-FI, LTE/3G, Bluetooth.
Texting/iMessage: If I'm txting an international user, and the iMessage fails, give me the option to NOT send it via text. Don't like those charges.

I know Apple probably won't give turn by turn directions, as that would hurt other developers.

r-sparks

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2006
England
Earlier today somebody discovered a developer.icloud.com address although I believe it's now gone. But I'll bet money that iOS 5 is very developer friendly.

As for turn by turn directions they can offer it in a basic form. This will cause other gps or mapping apps to compete on feature set. Think about something like the Garmin app, which includes intelligent routing. Turn by turn directions are really a very basic feature nowadays.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
File system

Lock screen/notifications/widget overhaul

Flash (kidding)

Settings overhaul including easy access

Siri API

Better maps with turn by turn

Free as always :)

graanco

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2012
Change I would like to see.... iPad IOS 6.0
to become truly post PC.
User Accounts on Lock Screen!!
Widgets, Dashboard or something like it.
Air Drop Sharing!!
iDisk for iCloud
Launch Pad (I don't need to always seen my icons - Dash board...???)
Expose` Style Multitasking...
I know that iPad Original probably get full of bloated programing and won't be able to handle all of these changes. But Apple clean up the damn code and beyond all that Really Nothing Needs changing!

Last edited:

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
I hope they completely re write mail app. It is too lame and old to use quickly. Back and forth to mailboxes and such- 3-4 clicks when getting anywhere.

Same goes for shortcuts to settings like Bluetooth and wifi etc.
And lastly, the dreaded missing kill all apps. Over time you are clicking upwards of 20+ apps one at a time to free memory-

I personally would like to see a complete revamp of the overall looks of it; but that's just me.

this, This, THIS, THIIIIIIS!!!!!!!!

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I hope they completely re write mail app. It is too lame and old to use quickly. Back and forth to mailboxes and such- 3-4 clicks when getting anywhere...

If they ever do that, I might finally be able to ditch BlackBerry for an iPhone.

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2012
Why can't they make widgets on the lockscreen? There is PLENTY of space between the "Lock up" and the time.

jgwood

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2012
I want to be able to access my iCloud email in Safari. And before you tell me why I don't need to, I can't at work because they block the email traffic port. So the only way to access email is via the web.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.