iOS 6 "improvements" that drive me insane...

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Phoboss, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Phoboss macrumors member

So got my iPhone 5 on Friday and love it so far. Maps isnt all that great, but I can get over that, it just needs some work, thats fine I can wait...

but here are some things that i just cant wrap my head around how stupid they are implemented...

Do not disturb: great in theory, but honestly, you cant choose weekdays? really?! who wrote that feature? an intern? i need the option to choose the time for different days of the week. i mean seriously, on weekdays, i go to bed at around 11:30 and get up at 7:00, but on the weekend those times are very different... and what about people who work different shifts throughout the week?
    is it really that hard to think of something like that and implement it? no its not, so a great new feature which in fact is completely useless...

turn off 3g: you simply cant... honestly, pardon my french, but how retarded is that? why, for the love of god, would they take away the option to switch off 3g? you can turn off LTE, but not 3g...

new phone app: great you can respond with a sms or remind yourself to call back the caller... but you can only choose to remind you in one hour... no other options. if someone calls me, and i havent called them back within 10-15 minutes they'll just call me again, so what good is the reminder in one hour gonna do? right! nothing! why cant i choose another time? there is no reason why this wouldnt be possible...

well thats what i found so far what is really bugging me. anyone else found some new features which are great in theory but in reality completely useless?

please no mentions of maps, we all know about that ;)

cheers!

2. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

yes you can.
    it's carrier dependant and it's the carrier that decides if you get the option or not.

3. Phoboss thread starter macrumors member

oh really? even if you have LTE? I thought it was just replaced by the new LTE switch. hmm... that sucks, cause that means I'll probably never get that feature back :D... stupid deutsche telekom ;)

4. Bahrovski macrumors newbie

Well.. I don't think you will forget something in less than an hour... That's why there is no option to remind you before.. Just kidding.. ((Apple's Logic))

5. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

I hope you feel better now having got it out of your system. :)

6. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

how do you get to this reminder in the phone app? havne't seen that one.

7. cynics macrumors G4

When someone calls you, there is a slider next to "accept" from there you can reply with text or remind later. Someone will need to be calling you to turn it on.

8. Phoboss thread starter macrumors member

a little yes, thanks! :D

but honestly, I kinda hope, there will be a couple more users who are annoyed by this, and something will change.

9. JesalTV Guest

Yeah the Do Not Disturb one is actually rather ridiculous.

10. JSchwartz15 macrumors regular

In response to your comment on Do Not Disturb, while it may not be the best solution, you can always turn it on manually before going to bed and then turn it on when you wake up.

11. Ripcord macrumors newbie

My list is generally existing features that have been broken.

App Store:

So when listing results, I get substantially fewer results/information that I care about on one screen. If I want to look through 100 apps, I have to swipe 100 times instead of 20. That means I'm going to tend to see FEWER apps, not more (or better ones).

iTunes Match:

Song management. Can no longer manually delete files locally, download individual tracks (easily), or see which ones are in iCloud and which are local (easily). In my case, that makes using iTunes Match impossible.

Apple Maps:

Just kidding. They're actually substantially better for me so far than the old Google Maps, but apparently I'm one of the only ones!

Brightness Control:

Now even harder to change brightness. Can't do it right from system prefs or a dock slider, you've got to drill down to get to it. And since auto-brightness is still awful, I'm still changing brightness several times a day depending on usage situation.

I guess that's it so far. But the App Store and iTunes Match things are pretty big for me. It means I'm pretty unlikely to use either.

At least with the App Store we might be likely to see a change. If there's a distinct drop off in App Store sales with iOS 6 (revenue-affecting) since people are giving up before finding an app, we're much more likely to see changes, and quickly. If people are buying more, on the other hand, then it'll mean I'm probably wrong and it's generally better.

12. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Thanks! I actually really like that feature. I often times will be driving my fun car which is a 6spd and hate taking calls when in traffic. Yes, I have BT but I still don't like talking, driving, shifting all at the same time. Too much going on. Normally I just send them to voice mail, but now I can just send them a message and drop them in VM with very little effort.

In terms of the one hour thing....I agree I would like the ability to customize it or present options such as 15-30-60-90 minutes, etc...but this is a start and I think a good one. I'm sure they will edit it later based on feedback. I'm surprised everyone is so glass half full with these updates and features. Take some SAMe or something already.....

13. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I actually really like the DND Feature. My week is a bit different in that M-F is work and weekends are not and like you I do wish it had the option for days/weekends, but regardless, it doesn't make the feature completely useless.

I have no doubt they will update that part of it but for now it's a great start. Honestly, I set my DND from 10pm through 8am regardless. I don't need to hear the alerts between 7-8 in the morning even on weekdays.

14. Phoboss, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

Phoboss thread starter macrumors member

dont get me wrong, i like the mentioned features aswell. in fact i like em a lot, in theory at least. but i just think for a company like apple, they are implemented rather poorly. i just feel like the havent given it that much thought.

sure i can switch DND on and off manually, but then i could just use the silent switch, thats faster and has the same result...

and the whole, "dont worry, they'll update/enhance that feature", kinda doesn't cut it, cause after all its apple, and they usually take reaaaaaally long to update/enhance/implement new features...

just to be clear, this isn't supposed to be a "I hate iOS/iPhone, android/wp are much better" thread, i just came back from android, for various reasons, and i really like the new ios/iphone. its just that poorly implemented features like the ones mentioned above really frustrate me, because from a coding point of view, it wouldn't have been much more work to enhance the features a little bit.
    like adding different times to the phones call back reminder, thats maybe 10 lines of code, give or take. same goes for the DND feature. a different timeframe for every day of the week isnt that much hassle to write, and it would make the feature so much better.

15. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Awwwww, the party line: "it just came out, it'll improve with time".

16. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

My schedule is pretty much the same most days of the week, but I can see where this would be a PITA for others. I have only put iOS6 on my iPad thus far (my iP4 is jailbroken and I haven't picked up a 5 yet) so I haven't really had a chance to put this feature to the test.

Again, not a feature I ever really use or see the need for. The only time I ever toggle my data is when the phone gets stuck in signal limbo and I need to bump it back onto a data connection.

Again, I guess everyone has different phone habits/etiquette. If someone calls me and I can't answer I rely on the missed calls and/or voicemail notification to remind me they called. If I had to miss several calls I could see this as a useful way to mark an important caller as a sort of VIP who I need to be sure to get back to, and a one hour reminder would suffice for me.

17. Phoboss thread starter macrumors member

mine is too, but i have weekends where i usually go out in the evening, and it already happend to me last weekend, that i forgot the DND function was on, and i missed a bunch of calls from a friend. sure my own fault, but it wouldn't have happend if i could choose different timeframes for every day of the week.
    and i also like to sleep in on weekends, so getting a wake up call from my father who lives in a timezone +6 to mine, doesnt help that either ;)

for me, this is the worst thing with iOS6 atm. even worse than maps, lol :D. because i sometimes doent have access to a charger for the whole day, and switching off 3g (not all data) really saves a lot of battery. but like it was mentioned earlier by chenks, this seems to be a carrier option. so not entirely apples fault, although i wonder, why they gave the option, to turn off the option (weird sentence ;)) to carriers in the first place.

like with the other features, i lived without them since the release of the first iphone, so its nothing i'd give my iphone back over, but since its there now, i'd like to use it. but with a one hour reminder (for me) its useless. because one hour is just to long of a timeframe in my line of work. people expect a callback within 10-15 minutes.

18. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

Sadly, that's not true either. The silent switch does not stop the screen from lighting every time something comes up. Multi-day DND settings would be very nice for all the reasons described so far - even my old alarm clock has two different alarms.

19. Phoboss thread starter macrumors member

oh you're right, but i can just lay my phone upside down so the light doesnt bother me at night.

20. Phoboss thread starter macrumors member

oh yeah another thing I found is the new "shared" photo stream...
    great I can share a bunch of photos with friends, but they cant upload photos into the same stream... what's that about?

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not exactly the same. Silent switch mutes the phone so notifications don't make any noise, but the phone still lights up when they come in. It's especially annoying on the iPad, when that big 9.7 inch screen lights up in the middle of the night!

Sure, it might take them a while, but perhaps you can hurry them along if you do leave feedback: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

22. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

the 'different notification per email account' almost drove me bonkers until I realised it wouldn't actually take unless I shutdown and restarted the mail app dohh!!!

23. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

I agree with you for need to get more refinement into DND, but don't forget DND has option to filter who can still get to call you while its active (rather than just block everyone)

Even in its current state, that makes it a bit more useful than the silent switch, if there's certain folks you absolutely positively want to be aware of calls from no matter what time of night or day it is.

24. scrappledog macrumors member

I don't like how you can no longer simply turn off all location services in settings. Helpful when you want to conserve battery. Or does someone know the new way to do this?

25. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

LTE is Data only. Currently it does not support voice. So when you are toggling off LTE you are turning off the highspeed data. You need the 3G for voice.

While you "can" downgrade to something less than 3G for voice (for example EDGE/2G) the towers are becoming less and less as they are replaced and upgraded.

Basically they don't want people toggling off 3G and the dealing with the "No signal" complaints.