iOS 6 is BORING?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by iFanboy, Jun 17, 2012.

1. iFanboy Guest

Just reading this Mashable article about iOS 6:- http://mashable.com/2012/06/16/disappointments-ios-6/

I tend to agree. iOS 6 is the latest in a line of evolutionary iOS updates.

There is nothing in iOS 6 that represented a visual change of any kind really. For day to day use everyone's iPhone will essentially look the same save for a custom background basically.

For some, even most people this will be absolutely fine. iPhones and iOS are an amazing products, but FOR ME and it seems a few others, it's getting visually stale.

Widgets would have been a great refresh IMHO. Done properly they can be very powerful, but nothing like that was included in iOS 6.

What do you think? Is the evolutionary nature of iOS 6 exactly what you wanted, or did you want something more visually different, like widgets?

Personally, I'm looking closely at Android at the moment but haven't yet decided if I'm going to jump ship :rolleyes:

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I myself see plenty of visual changes, such as the new dialer, the app store, to name two. I tend not to judge software until the final release. They have plenty of time to make changes since this is just the first beta. I am not much into Widgets, so if that's your thing Android might be your best bet.

3. TOMIMOT macrumors 6502

TOMIMOT

personally IMO if the update helps the phone be of better use of being a phone and does what its suppose i could really care less if theres any visual changes. As long as it does what its suppose to

4. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I am already testing the android waters. I had the iPhone 4 for two years and now I'm trying the One X. I won't be keeping it though because I was unaware of the horrendous multitasking on it. I will give the SGIII a try once it hits stores. If it doesn't impress me though I will be going back to my iPhone 4 and getting the iPhone 5 whe it comes out.

5. nfl46 macrumors 603

Apple updates are always like that. I'm running OS X Mountain Lion and there's not much different than Lion, aside from the extra features. Apple doesn't revamp their OS, they add more and more features and do minor tweaks. This has worked for them for years. Honestly, Mountain Lion and iOS 6 feels like brothers, but one is for tablets/phone and one is for computers. I actually love the idea of how Apple is merging them together. Apple users don't have to deal with learning a new OS, unlike Microsoft and Android. It causes too much confusion.

6. mds macrumors 6502

I don't care if they update the look. Functionality and usability are all I care about in my phone. The new map/gps system alone is pretty exciting, especially since SIRI will be able to access it, unlike current GPS apps.

7. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

You may not care, but apparently plenty of other consumers do....

8. Spooner83 macrumors 6502

Spooner83

Still waiting for a new lock screen, password lock on app folders and background animations like android

9. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

10. mds macrumors 6502

I doubt that. The lack of update to the look of the OS is not going to stop the next iphone from outselling every previous incarnation.

11. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

You doubt that? There's articles posted daily about how stale it's becoming. Leave that shell of yours.

12. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I think his point was sales. No matter how stale some articles write about the OS Apple will still sell more. No doubt sales will increase over the 4S.

13. mds macrumors 6502

Exactly. No one cares if Apple changes what the icons look like. They want functionality. I do think people are ready for a hardware refresh, but even after all the whining on MR the 4s outsold every previous phone.

My shell exists in the real world, not on internet review pages.

14. TjeuV macrumors 6502

Just annoying the iPhone 4 doesn't get all the features ... missing out on some cool ones

15. TennisandMusic

The problem isn't necessarily that it is boring. It is that it is just not functional compared to other mobile operating systems out there. Dumping all of your apps on required home screens is a disaster. It is ugly, and it is unusable. The things you can do on Android and Windows Phone are so beyond iOS, it's just getting a bit embarrassing. I am basically prepared to move off the platform this year.

I really don't think many people realize what iOS is missing...

16. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

What do you mean by dumping all your apps on the home screen? You don't use folders? Those with a newer phone can now even use Siri to launch apps. In the end it is up to each person Apple won't go bankrupt if some move to Android.

17. TennisandMusic

Folders are on the home screen. :rolleyes: Not to mention the way they are implemented is totally hideous.

18. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I was confused by your comment, you did not mention folders. I wanted to understand your complaint better.

19. pdjudd macrumors 601

Poeople have said such things before about other Apple products before - that it isn’t exciting or revolutionary, a bore, whatever. And then it sells in massive numbers. Remember the iPad. Critics painted the device as lamer, boring, and my favorite “it’s a big iPod touch” (also while mocking the name). ANd where does it sit today? Well we know that.

The fact is, the critics aren’t always right - especially when we are talking about products that aren’t released yet.

20. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I prefer boring and working to anything Android (and yes, I have plenty of experience with Android).

That being said I don't really find iOS boring at all. It works great, stays fast, and I don't have to worry about malware on a phone.

21. Altimax98 macrumors 6502

Altimax98

I agree 100%. Apple doesn't need to reboot iOS. It would be nice to add some features, like weather apps/notification widget on he iPad, and the ability to personalize the home screen more.

I've been running Android for 3 years now. It's a great OS. I love the ability to customize most of the OS without the need for root or jailbreak (although I just went from jail broken iPad 3 to iOS 6 because jailbreak slows the system down too much for me). But Android in no way is 1: as smooth 2: as pretty to look at, as iOS. My galaxy nexus even bone stock doesn't run as smooth as my iPad. It's generally buggy and some of the methods and things are not thought out well enough when they are put into the OS.

I applaud apple for not going crazy and throwing a ton of features that would just slow things down if not thought out and tested well enough. Worse is that the iPhone is pretty much hardware impaired, even the 5 (or iPhone (2012) is what I think it'll be called) appears to be hardware limited compared to the Galaxy SIII or OneX. So it relies on software that everyone knows and uses to hold its own. A misstep or glitchy buggy release could be the downfall of the entire mobile arm of apple.

They can't afford to have a iOS Vista or windows 8 debacle. Microsoft lost a lifetime customer with Windows 8. I've never used a Mac until I built my Hackintosh after trying out Windows 8. I'm just one person in millions, but I bet others feel as I do. I'll deal without features, if it means it 1:works 2:is efficient & 3:stable

22. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Apple always takes their products in baby steps. It is really no surprise to me that there was not very many interface changes done because it is how Apple works.

Look at iTunes, interface-wise it has essentially looked the same year in and year out.

Us techies would love to see some interface changes, unfortunately the general population hates change, I don't see any radical changes done to iOS any time soon.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I may be missing something, but doesn't Android also use a home screen (or whatever they call it)? Yes, they have widgets, but aren't those widgets dumped on the "home screen"?

24. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Apps

It's about the freakin' apps.

Your OS is not supposed to be entertaining folks.