General iOS 6 + Jailbreak + Cydia ...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Dwalls90, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Am I the only one getting concerned?

iOS 6: GM will roll out on 9/12, and the full release due out sometime between 9/17-9/21. That means that we are about 2 weeks away from a final release!

Jailbreak: The devs are being unusually quiet regarding an iOS 6 vulnerability or jailbreak. Yes, we have the limera1n exploit for A4 devices, a permanent tethered jailbreak.

But with the original iPad and iPhone 4 quickly becoming older devices, limera1n doesn't do anything for the newer devices, including the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S or newer. I understand a while ago they tweeted about having vulnerabilities prepared for iOS 6, but one would think they would have been testing and communicating their findings online. Even the jailbreak tools haven't seen much activity or updates. What is the status of the vulnerabilities and untethered?

Cydia: Last I checked, Cydia was BROKEN on iOS 6. I don't recall this ever being an issue on past versions of iOS, ever. Where is Saurik in all of this, and what progress has he made?

Point is, for A5 devices, it took until December/January, if I am recalling correctly, for a jailbreak to be released. At this time last year, Cydia was functioning fine on iOS 5 betas, and the jailbreak devs were open and demonstrating beta exploits.

Given the lack of evidence of progress for iOS 6's jailbreak and Cydia functionality, am I the only one that is afraid we are in for a VERY long wait?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm not all that concerned. My 3Gs will have an untethered jailbreak the second Cydia is fully updated for iOS 6 or I update it to iOS 6.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

limera1n is a hardware exploit so I wouldn't worry. you will have tethered almost as soon a 6 comes out. I would wait abet till the jb devs have a chance to update. some of the devs might have 4s to and have to wait till we get our jb. just have to be careful as always.

4. bAdNitro macrumors member

bAdNitro

The 4S jailbreak wasn't released until January 20th, incase you were wondering lol Nice guess work though :p

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it. The more they brag about exploits, the easier it is for apple to close them before final release. The way I see it, quiet is better.

Also, I heard now cydia is fine on iOS 6, but i could be wrong.

I think that we're in for roughly another 3 month wait, even longer for the new iPhone unless it has the same A5X chip as the iPad 3.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The new iPhone could have the exact same CPU and bootrom as the iPad 3, it'd still take a long time because the iPad 3 jailbreak is a userland one. Not a bootrom one. There may be a point in the future when the iPad 2 and newer are not jailbreakable because it will be too difficult to find an exploit within iOS.

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

My thoughts exactly. iOS is getting pretty tight, I wouldn't be shocked if it took months for the iPhone 5 and iPad 3 to be jailbroken.

7. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Apple could just save everyone a lot of trouble and announce Gatekeeper for iOS. ;)

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iOS has had Gatekeeper since iOS 2.0. It just wasn't called anything or marketed.

9. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

Maybe they're quiet so Apple thinks they're doing a good job making more stuff available to them?

10. Cougarcat macrumors 604

You know what I meant. Gatekeeper as it is in Mountain Lion (though perhaps without the 'anywhere' option.)

11. Siggen macrumors 6502

Read everything in a whispering dramatic voice for best experience

Shhhh, *whispers* Don't talk about it, we want Apple to know as little about it as possible. They might even have a full cydia re-wright ready for iOS6 in secrecy, they might have a userland exploit ready that might work on the new iPhone. They might have their arsenal of USB analyzers ready for action. We want them to release as little info as possible. In worst case scenario, you might have to learn to use the command line to install cydia tweaks (its easy). Just go like
    Code:
    sudo su
    dpkg -i <package name or deb file>
    Everything is going to be all right.....
    Or else I'm going to sit on my bed, cry and only have an iPhone that will ever be used for SMS and phone calls.

EDIT:
    Come to think about it, even a smiley face on twitter could be dangerous, think of all the black hat hackers that can try to infiltrate your harddisk to get clues on the upcoming jailbreak, and sell it for profit to apple. Good God, I'm having nightmares already

12. seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

i have faith it will only be fine you just need to wait and see

13. bAdNitro macrumors member

bAdNitro

Right and I completely agree. I just remember seeing something about the same exploits working in iOS 6 when beta 1 was released. So I assumed since it's working on the same hardware, the same userland exploits would work. Of course there's not bootrom exploit. Apple cracked down hard on that front hahah

14. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yes you are the only one.

PS: there is a LOT of discussions and Threads going about it, if you reach to the right community using the "right" mediums. ;)

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Lol, it has started again...
    I'm preparing myself mentally for the exponential increase of threads like this one. :rolleyes:

16. labman macrumors 604

labman

won't be long now before we see those other post. My cat or what ever accidently upgraded me to 6.0 what do I do?

17. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I know i had posted this many times, but I still think nothing beat the "maid" story..... :D

18. labman macrumors 604

labman

1+ that's my favorite that guy disappeared real quick. :p be hard for somebody to top him.

19. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

I haz link to it?

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I wish I had his problems.
    If I had a maid I'd forgive her for updating my iphones firmware:D lol

21. P51 macrumors regular

At this point I don't even know why you would upgrade to ios6 unless you want the new facebook integration. I don't know anyone who actually uses Siri, so that reason is pretty much out the window.

22. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I tried unsuccessfully many time to get the contact info of that maid service from him, they not only make sure everything is spotless, but that all your gadgets are up to date.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It must be some really upscale maid service.
    Probably nothing I could afford:D

24. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

So, no signs of jailbreak or exploits.

Are we worried, now?

25. labman macrumors 604

labman

nope! the worlds ending 12/21/12 so who cares about the jailbreak really! ;)