iOS 6: My Review

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by ds111, Jun 13, 2012.

1. ds111, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

ds111 macrumors member

Hey guys,

I have been using iOS 6 for a few days now basically non-stop and have had a chance to peek under from a developer's point-of-view at the new APIs we get to play with, so I have a pretty good understanding of how the beta works.
    Here are my views on each of the new things.

1) UI Improvements
    Some people may not like it, but unless an app developer specifically changes a setting in the app package to use a specific version of the menubar ("black" or the silver one), the color of the top menubar will be the same color as the top title heading.

I like it, but that's just my opinion. Gives us even more control of how the app looks overall.

- I do not like the look of the new phone dialer!

Main complaint from me, however, would be that some people may think this makes the iOS interface seem disjointed and not very coherent. I, personally, like it, as it adds a little variation.

However: I do believe the new bottom-menubar selection visible in the App Store should be everwhere; In that way, I believe it should be consistent.

2) API Improvements
    A lot of API improvements that will surely bring higher quality apps to you guys.
    A lot of huge annoyances were fixed as well; Not much more to say!

3) Maps
    Of course, Maps is one of the key additions in iOS 6.
    I've taken it on a 5.5-hour roadtrip, and they were really nicely done. The directions, I mean, not the maps itself. I'm sorry to say but the maps itself (the streets and the views for it) are, at best, lacking. Perhaps 60% of the streets that SHOULD'VE been marked on the map were missing a street name -- and this is right outside of San Francisco to Los Angeles, mind you, not somewhere in the middle of Kansas.

- 3D Mode with the vector graphics seems gimmicky; sorry. Don't see any use for it.

The directions recalculated because I choose not to follow the route Siri gave me, instead opting for a route that was more pleasant for me to drive on.
    - I was amazed at how fast the route works, especially over AT&T's "4G."

- Overall, Navigation is fantastic.

4) Siri
    This one's big because I don't see many people talking about this at all. And I'm not talking about the new reservation and sports stuff...Siri has been holistically improved. Responses are much faster, dictation is unbelievably quick. And it understands me and my family much better, even though we have quite noticeable Italian accents. It's amazing how much better she understands us. Not only that, but names of restaurants and stores that are fairly difficult for a person to spell just by hearing the name, Siri gets right. For example an Italian restaurant called "Vida Dolce," would never work on the old Siri. Now -- she understands it! And I can make reservations! AWESOME! :apple:

5) DND/Phone Improvements/Other stuff
    - The Do Not Disturb feature works as expected; it's a great little addition that I'm already using.
    - iMessage sending time has been quickened greatly.
    - Mail is much more pleasant to use due to attachments being nice and quickly done.
    - Apps load quicker; The overall feel of iOS -- on my 4S -- is generally much snappier. For some reason, my 4S feels brand-new now, and it's really nice and fast. I was amazed.

6) Bugs & Issues
    - I have not experienced any issues at all.
    FYI: I restored the phone as NEW, and did not "Option-click" Update.

I have not experienced any of the issues I've seen other people complain about, primarily Maps in Landscape view and crashing. Maps works 100% of the time for me; Music Player doesn't have any bugs either; I have been using the phone extensively can't find any issues yet...but will keep you guys posted.

- No stability issues; I've used at least 60 apps (out of my simplistic 110 app collection) or so extensively.

7) BATTERY
    This might be something people really want to know about - how's the battery life?

I have my own app that I've written which uses a complex CPU logic flow in order to test the iPhone's battery.

I'm really surprised to say that overall phone usage is up 21% from iOS 5 :eek: :eek: Really, really nice!

Here's a more simple data point:
    - USAGE: 3 hours, 15 minutes. STANDBY: 2 hours, 26 minutes.
    Battery Percentage: 96%
    Everything is ON - WiFi, 3G/"4G"/Bluetooth/iCloud/etc...

Overall, this is a pretty impressive update -- if you consider it as just that. This iOS would be pretty underwhelming if you thought it would be a complete rethinking of iOS; but it's not! It's a refinement release, with navigation/new maps thrown in because that's what people need and want.

From a revolution point of view; disappointing.
    From an evolution point of view; a really nice, modest update.

My rating: 4.5/5

Thanks guys, and I hope you like the review. Let me know if you would like a screenshot or two or for me to try out anything with iOS 6 as I will be using it 100%, updating only to new versions of the beta and the final release. I don't see why not -- It's incredibly stable!

~~ Screenshots ~~

1) New App Store
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2) Attachments in Mail
    [​IMG]

3) Menu bars by color (Skype as an example)
    [​IMG]

2. DaveOP macrumors 65816

I agree with what you said. It's rough around the edges, but it's BETA. I am extremely impressed so far on both my 4S and iPad. I am blown away by the speed of everything, it's just so smooth.

3. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

4. cwosigns macrumors 65816

So putting iOS 6 on your daily devices (not developer devices) is something one could with minimal regret?

5. ds111 thread starter macrumors member

Yup! I'm using it as the daily OS, and it's fine!

6. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

Bugs for me include sluggishness, Map crashing when I search and facebook sync completely destroying my contacts/calendar.

But I agree.. the UI improvements is are nice and each app is unique. Maps still has it's quirks but once they get fixed up it will be great product. Don't have 4s so can't comment on Siri.

It's a solid update for those who wanted a fresh paint.

7. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Thanx for a finally decent review on it. I would like a screenshot or two if possible and wondering if you recommend to reinstall new or can i safely go ahead and just restore?

:)

8. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I agree that iOS6-b1 is remarkably bug-free but as a tester of previous iOS betas I can tell you that as the betas progress they do not always get better.
    In iOS5 particularly some betas that seemed as smooth as this one were followed by betas that rendered the phone darn near unusable.
    Then the next one was better -- then the next was better still -- but only on one model device -- for a different device it was a whole different nightmare.
    Even on this first beta, people with the iPhone 4 are not having the same experiences as the people with the iPhone 4S and the people with iPads are having different experiences entirely.
    My point is that just because b1 on the 4S is close to problem-free that is in no way a guarantee that the next beta will also be.
    Take it for what it's worth.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

seems like it works well on the 4s. Any feedback from anyone about the 4 in ios6 beta state? better? worse?

10. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I'm very pleased with performance of iOS 6 on my iPhone 4.

Whilst still a beta, I noticed long ago on iOS 5 that going in/out of an app (Messages or Settings for example) could result in some mild "stutters" at the end of the animation cycle, especially when returning to the home screen.

As a result I always use 3 rows, plus one on the fourth row (normally Settings) which results in smoother transitions on par with the 4S/iPad 3. I've done the same in my set up on iOS 6, and it's even smoother ... it's just nice and consistent regarding the speed of the animations, scrolling, going through menus, compared to iOS 5.

Stock apps also open quicker too. The first time I opened Messages, the message window and type box popped up from the bottom almost immediately, as opposed to the slightly stuttering, slower one on iOS 5.

11. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

When it works I noticed a lot more smoothness that wasn't present in prior versions.

12. iKIKO macrumors regular

iKIKO

I'm using it too on my main iPhone 4s and its perfectly usable. no crashes so far. the most stable beta i have ever used.

love the quick Facebook post, and also siri spanish, it was about time :D

13. ds111 thread starter macrumors member

I've updated the main post w/ screenshots!

Let me know if anyone wants any more!

----------

I'd recommend you Restore, instead of Update, to iOS6 to avoid these issues. I do not have those issues on my build.

14. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

I agree with the OP.

Pleasantly surprised with battery life improvement. I was hoping that would come with 5.1 but alas it was practically worse. Battery life on my 4S has been pretty bad for me but so far on 6.0 it is at least acceptable.

Speed, in general, seems improved all the way around. Oh, and the speed in iMessage is welcome. I also am not getting the sporadic freezes from iMessage (as in, total freeze: iPhone unresponsive). The freezes seemingly started when I started using the beta Messages app on my mac. It was like it was trying to sync both or something--even when Messages was not running on any mac. Anyway, relieved that that issue seems resolved.

Oh, and iTunes Match! Finally it works right for me. I had to turn it off on my 4S as it would either not play music--even if it was downloaded to the iPhone--or took forever to start. It was a nightmare. Now it seems much more reliable.

Michael

15. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

I like the updates/new features, but here are the bugs that I've experienced:

For my wifi-only, Ipad 2, I noticed bugs with the auto-brightness, and the battery life if not as good as it was on 5.1.1. Also, I noticed that the updated My Xbox Live app crashes right after it is opened. I also notice that sometimes, Itunes asks me to log in again, and it doesn't have the podcasts option. And lastly, I notice that, in Hootsuite, it switches between, landscape and portrait mode randomly, and gets stuck in the wrong mode at times.

16. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

How was the devices Tone / Attitude to you changing route?
    (Yes I know the personality is just programming)

By this I mean, a lot of GPS are very brash or hash, they beep loudy set of all sorts of alarms, tell you turn around and go back to their route. Always lead you back to their route. It's like the programmers have a lot of contempt for the customer. It's almost like they think if you had a clue you wouldn't be using our product.

17. ds111 thread starter macrumors member

Quite honestly, it was a pleasure to drive with it. It had great pronunciation of the streets (and on some, it wasn't great, but still better than Tomtom/garmin). With regards to the route, it really did try to adapt, twice it tried to get me back on its own route, but then it conceded and went with the route I had in mind.

18. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

App Store issues

When I install apps, most of the time, it doesn't ask for my password. It just installs.

19. Apple TarHeel macrumors member

I just got back from a 7 hour round trip drive using iPhone 4S with iOS 6 and I can tell you it was great! Siri called out all the turns even when I got lost intentionally to see if she would get me back on track .. It worked! The graphics may not be perfect today, but this is beta version 1 ... I also had Siri sending text messages and writing emails as I drove ... I have never used Siri this much before ...awesome for a beta IMHO

20. dogthateats macrumors member

Has anyone seen any improvement with battery life using ios 6 beta on iPad 3?

21. pk7 macrumors 6502

Can anyone comment on data usage with navigation? I'm on a 200 MB plan :(

I know Waze would compress all the data if you selected the option. And this made it so that it left a minimal impact on my data plan.

Thanks.

22. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

One thing I hate is that the app store asks me, for every little thing I do, if I want to post it to Facebook. WTF? Goodbye Facebook integration--you are being turned off pronto.

Michael

23. ds111 thread starter macrumors member

Anyone want any more information about the Beta?

24. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

Great thread. It feels like a lot of people are being misled by the small amount of "revolutionary" features. With iOS 6 it's all of the little things that count.

And to the person who asked about putting it on your primary device I would still recommend against it. Beta 1 has worked almost flawlessly on my primary device, but the next few betas might not be so smooth. Beta 2 of iOS 5 for example was awful.

25. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

Did you restore from backup or restore as new?