iOS 6 on replacement iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by virginblue4, Dec 14, 2013.

1. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Just been to my local Apple Store to have my faulty iPhone 5 replaced and I've been given one with iOS 6 on it! They offered to update it there in the store but I told them I'll do it later at home.

After being so used to iOS 7 (having gone through all the betas) it feels quite weird using iOS 6.

The few changes I really miss are:

- Control centre
    - merged address / search bar in safari
    - multitasking
    - overall UI

Everything just seems so dull and old fashioned on iOS 6. Will be upgrading back to iOS 7 this evening, just thought I'd share my experience.

2. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

So great battery life, a much more refined Safari and less garish colours aren't worth sticking with?

3. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Obviously not. He said Control centre, merged address / search bar in safari, multitasking, and overall UI are things he missed.

4. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Piffling details compared to the ones I miss from iOS6. I would *love* to have it back on my i5.
    I have learned one thing from this iOS7 debacle though and that is to never upgrade the o/s that a device ships with. Sure I'll do the incremental updates but never jump the whole number again.

5. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

You're going to keep iOS 7 even when iOS 8 comes out then?

6. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I will buy the handset that iOS8 gets released on, or I will stick with 7. Had my fingers burned this time.

7. virginblue4 thread starter macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Can't say I've noticed much of a difference in battery life. Much prefer safari on iOS 7, and also love the colour scheme of iOS 7.

8. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

You're either not a heavy/power user, or mine and my friends' iPhone 5 handsets are broken.
    You are of course entitled to like the snot-green SMS app and awful notes & calendar apps.

9. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

10. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

Interesting. That seems like it would be more of a hardware problem than a software problem.

11. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

iPhone 5

Attached Files:

12. virginblue4 thread starter macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Can confirm that I am a heavy user and have seen no noticeable differences in battery life between iOS 6 iOS 7.

13. Braniff747SP macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

You must not keep your devices for a long time, then.

In the two years I've had my 4S, things have changed dramatically for the better since iOS 5. I wouldn't want to go back.

14. plainwhitetay macrumors regular

Wow. :eek:

I'm glad you enjoy iOS 7, OP. As general, serious question to everyone, why does iOS 6 look "dated" to so many people?

15. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Interesting. Except for Control Center, that's a partial list is of things that are wrong with iOS 7. :) And the Control Center could have been in iOS 6.1.6.

I'm not upgrading anything I have from iOS 6 to iOS 7 (yet). Anything we have with iOS 7 was purchased that way.

16. Jbenn425, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013

Jbenn425 macrumors regular

Same thing happened to me yesterday when I got my replacement!! I tried using iOS 6 but it just frustrated me and made me want to throw the phone out the window. A lot of people complain about the colors, but I actually prefer them on iOS 7 along with all the new features. iOS 6 really felt old.

----------

I can't really give you an answer as to why, I guess I just feel iOS 7 looks more modern and iOS 6 looks dated in comparison. But then again, I thought iOS 6 looked dated before iOS 7 was ever previewed, so I was really looking forward to the update.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

People often want something new just for the sake of it being skmething new/different.

18. Dented macrumors 6502a

iOS 6 on replacement iPhone

I'm a "heavy user" and there's no question IOS 7 is better for battery on my iPhone 5. I've always had to charge every day (I've had iPhones since 2008) but my i5 on 7 is probably the first one I've had where i consistently, every night, still have plenty of power left, and no longer worry about "making it last".

I didn't get great battery life out of IOS 6, in fact I was initially dissapointed that my iPhone 5 hadn't improved on the 4S much. It has now.

----------

I think when you spend the sort of time many of us do staring at our phones, refreshing the interface from time to time becomes more than just a superficial act - i love iPhones but after 5 years of the same thing I was very ready to for something new, even to the point where I was looking at other phones.

And more than that, as a designer sometimes you have to start from a fresh page. Evolution is great but it only takes you so far.

19. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

Yours and your friends phone is probably not broken and the OP probably is a heavy/power user! And probably he does not like what you like, and vise versa!

And of course, anything you don't like have got to be awful!!

----------

Wow!! I thought that was pretty obvious! It looks dated because it is. Dates back to 2007!

20. plainwhitetay macrumors regular

Not really. iOS has had a lot of tweaking since 2007 to make it look better. I guess I'm just a fan of intuitive design that works without a doubt. I'm excited to see how Apple has to completely redesign again when this stupid flat fad dies in 2-3 years.

21. KALLT macrumors 601

I'm with you on that. I wonder how iOS 6 would have looked with some incremental design changes. Less gloss on buttons and no glass-like interfaces on the Lock Screen or Call Screen, no more textures on Notification Centre and skeuomorphism-heavy apps, adjustable text sizes, and so on. I believe there was so much potential. I have been using iOS since the iPhone 3G and I still think it is one of the most beautiful designs, the details are simply incredible.

22. plainwhitetay macrumors regular

Yes, all the glass and glossy appearances just needed to be removed. A few more tweaks and I think iOS 7 would have been a fine redesign.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

On the other hand many of those who have been doing powerful things with computers for ages are more than happy with a basic UNIX terminal which still does more and better things in a fastest manner for someone that knows how to use it well. It works and works well, and no design changes to freshen it up where it looks totally "modern" or "fresh" has ever been needed.

Sure, a mobile device that appeals to the general public doesn't fit into a category like that since people need to be enticed into getting and using the device. But the overall concept that everything needs to be redesigned to progress forward isn't always best or necessary on more of an objective level.

24. Dented macrumors 6502a

I don't think that's the same thing at all - many of us remember command line interfaces but it's no accident there was never a phone with one, and no question that such a thing would be inherently useless regardless of how powerful it was under the hood - even the most hardened geek would struggle to operate a handheld command line on the move!

So that means a graphical interface - a UI - and UIs get old. Even the iPhones. I'm not the only longterm IOS user who'd had enough.

25. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

I wouldn't hold my breath! skeuomorphism did make sense when the first multytouch technology was introduced! To give the users the sense of what they can touch, swipe, tap etc! That time have gone! Apple may decide to change the design again but rest assure, it would be nothing the way it was.

Now you say iOS have changed it's look a lot since the first one. I say hardly. Have them with the same wallpaper and screen size and you will be looking at minor details.

Attached Files: