iOS 6 on the iPhone 4

js81

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Hey all:
I have the white 8GB iPhone 4 for AT&T - just wanted to post my thoughts on iOS 6 running on this now-going-on-2-years-old technoloy. :)

Boot: A bit slower, but how often do you reboot?
Home screen: Same, if not quicker.
Loading apps: Most seem the same; Mail seems particularly faster.
Switching apps: Definitely faster. I can load every app I have (62 as of this writing) and can switch between them instantaneously. Much smoother than iOS 5.
Camera: Slower. Not tremendously so, but a bit. Oddly, switching from still to video seems faster.
Maps: Faster to load than iOS 5. So far, accurate for me here in Podunk, KY.
Phone: Love the new options! Otherwise, the same speed...

Just my quick thoughts. Nothing dramatic. I researched plenty before upgrading my 4; thought others may want this info. If not, please ignore.

(And I apologize if the same thing is in the forum - I searched and didn't see exactly this...)

zildMacjian

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
UK
ive stuck it on my 4 (was planning on selling it)

5% battery used

2 days and 9 hours standby time

tho its got no sim or any other drain on the battery at the mo ...

seems ok with apps ive tested on it.

Comment

FamiliaPhoto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
My son has 6 on his IP4. Runs well, no complaints. I do have his reboot his phone once a week though...we do that with all our iPhones.

Comment

js81

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
KY
My son has 6 on his IP4. Runs well, no complaints. I do have his reboot his phone once a week though...we do that with all our iPhones.
It's a good practice. But even once a week, a few extra seconds of boot time is no biggie. :) I like iOS 6 so far - just haven't figured Passbook out, lol.

Comment

sers

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
So is it safe to say that iOS 6 works fairly well on the iPhone 4? I'm still debating whether or not to upgrade my 4 and ipad 3 to iOS 6. My old iPhone 3G and iPad 1 suffered badly when going to ios 4 and 5, respectively. I don't want to ruin my perfectly running iPhone 4 and iPad 3.

I've seen some good and bad posts about going to ios 6. Still debating.

Comment

slayerz96

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Singapore
iOS 6 runs very smoothly on my 4S, although the battery tends to suck a bit more overnight.

Last time when I still had my iPhone 4, I upgraded to iOS 5 on day one. It was horrible. Choppy, laggy and irresponsive. So I actually didn't have high hopes for iOS 6 running on an iPhone 4. But now, it doesn't sound so bad.

Comment

maverick22

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
I still have a 4. Upgraded to ios6 and no problems (related to the upgrade anyways). It may just be in my head, but it seems like my battery drains quicker for some reason after the upgrade.

Comment

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
So far iOs 6 on my 4 has been very positive. Miss some parts of my jailbreak, but i did this last year when that new os was introduced. It is kind of nice to be stock for a while it make you realize the JB tweaks you really miss and ones you can get along without.

Comment

nw9

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Last time when I still had my iPhone 4, I upgraded to iOS 5 on day one. It was horrible. Choppy, laggy and irresponsive.
That's the problem I had with iOS 5, so I wanted to see if iOS 6 would improve things. From what I've experience so far it does seem to improve my iPhone 4 performance. It's smoother without all the lag I got from iOS 5. It's worth the upgrade for that alone.

Comment

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I don't want to ruin my perfectly running iPhone 4 and iPad 3.
Aside from the Maps issue, I don't see how updating a third-gen iPad to iOS 6 would be anything but a positive experience.

Basically, the only things that change as far as a third-gen iPad is concerned are the new Maps app, the loss of Apple's old native YouTube app (but you can download Google's YouTube iPhone app from the App Store), and the addition of Siri.

The only other caveat I've noticed is that if you use the SlingPlayer app and upgrade any of your iOS devices to iOS 6, you will lose the ability to stream content in high quality. That has more to do with the poor planning and even worse customer support by the folks at Sling Media than anything else, though.

Comment

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I didn't have the best of luck with ios6 on iPhone 4. It really slowed my phone down and drained the battery faster than 5.x.

I didn't really care, though, because I had preordered the i5 and ended up selling my 4.

Comment

anonnymouse

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
Personal Hotspot does not work for me on my iPhone 4 with iOS 6. Initially I was told that it was specifically just ANR accounts (AT&T Agent National Retail) like the one I'm on, but I'm seeing similar reports from standard consumer account-holders on the Apple Communities forums.

Very simply, I have the 4GB Tethering plan on my account, but the Personal Hotspot menu doesn't even show up in Settings. The phone thinks I'm not subscribed - in Settings-General-Cellular, it shows the "Set Up Personal Hotspot" button.

All manner of troubleshooting and resets with my designated AT&T rep have yielded nothing. AT&T says they don't know when it will be fixed. Apparently it affects 3G, 3GS, and 4 on iOS 6.

Any standard consumers on these three phones with a standard consumer 4GB tethering plan having trouble with Hotspot not showing up in Settings?

Comment

KojiH

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
I upgraded my 4 to iOS6 but am not really noticing any improvements other than the fact that I no longer have to enter my apple password to update my apps.

Other than that it took away the old maps app in exchange for the new apple maps WITHOUT turn by tun voice which is the only redeeming feature of the new maps app.

I lost the old YouTube app which is ok because I can download the new replace app.

I got Passbook which is pretty much useless until more retailers sign on.

So basically I find no particularly great reason to upgrade an iPhone 4 to OS6. We still don't get Siri. We lose the better Google powered maps in exchange for a crippled version of Apple maps. What is the upside?

Comment

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
It works fine on my 4, except for my having been bamboozled into obtaining the ignominious Apple Maps app in place of the superior Google Maps. That was a real kick in the nuts.

Comment

sers

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
Btw, I wanted to ask - has anyone updated any apps that require iOS 6? I tried downloading Jasmine on my iPad 3 and it said I required iOS 6. I'm still on 5.1.1.

Comment

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
It works fine on my 4, except for my having been bamboozled into obtaining the ignominious Apple Maps app in place of the superior Google Maps. That was a real kick in the nuts.
I just do not get the love for the old maps app, with out turn by turn navigation i found it useless and always just used waze or motionX.

The new Apple maps is just as useless since it also does not have turn by turn (on the 4)

Comment

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
I just do not get the love for the old maps app, with out turn by turn navigation i found it useless and always just used waze or motionX.

The new Apple maps is just as useless since it also does not have turn by turn (on the 4)
It has turn by turn just not out loud.

It is shown on the screen instead.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.