iOS 6 on the iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by js81, Oct 1, 2012.

1. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Hey all:
    I have the white 8GB iPhone 4 for AT&T - just wanted to post my thoughts on iOS 6 running on this now-going-on-2-years-old technoloy. :)

Boot: A bit slower, but how often do you reboot?
    Home screen: Same, if not quicker.
    Loading apps: Most seem the same; Mail seems particularly faster.
    Switching apps: Definitely faster. I can load every app I have (62 as of this writing) and can switch between them instantaneously. Much smoother than iOS 5.
    Camera: Slower. Not tremendously so, but a bit. Oddly, switching from still to video seems faster.
    Maps: Faster to load than iOS 5. So far, accurate for me here in Podunk, KY.
    Phone: Love the new options! Otherwise, the same speed...

Just my quick thoughts. Nothing dramatic. I researched plenty before upgrading my 4; thought others may want this info. If not, please ignore.

(And I apologize if the same thing is in the forum - I searched and didn't see exactly this...)

2. zildMacjian macrumors member

ive stuck it on my 4 (was planning on selling it)

5% battery used

2 days and 9 hours standby time

tho its got no sim or any other drain on the battery at the mo ...

seems ok with apps ive tested on it.

3. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

My son has 6 on his IP4. Runs well, no complaints. I do have his reboot his phone once a week though...we do that with all our iPhones.

4. js81 thread starter macrumors 65816

js81

It's a good practice. But even once a week, a few extra seconds of boot time is no biggie. :) I like iOS 6 so far - just haven't figured Passbook out, lol.

5. sers macrumors regular

So is it safe to say that iOS 6 works fairly well on the iPhone 4? I'm still debating whether or not to upgrade my 4 and ipad 3 to iOS 6. My old iPhone 3G and iPad 1 suffered badly when going to ios 4 and 5, respectively. I don't want to ruin my perfectly running iPhone 4 and iPad 3.

I've seen some good and bad posts about going to ios 6. Still debating.

6. slayerz96 macrumors member

iOS 6 runs very smoothly on my 4S, although the battery tends to suck a bit more overnight.

Last time when I still had my iPhone 4, I upgraded to iOS 5 on day one. It was horrible. Choppy, laggy and irresponsive. So I actually didn't have high hopes for iOS 6 running on an iPhone 4. But now, it doesn't sound so bad.

7. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

Question: Does the iPhone 4 running iOS 6 get the microphone integration in the keyboard?

8. maverick22 macrumors 6502

I still have a 4. Upgraded to ios6 and no problems (related to the upgrade anyways). It may just be in my head, but it seems like my battery drains quicker for some reason after the upgrade.

9. Xavier macrumors 68020

No, it does not.

10. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

Bummer! Thanks for your reply! :)

11. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

So far iOs 6 on my 4 has been very positive. Miss some parts of my jailbreak, but i did this last year when that new os was introduced. It is kind of nice to be stock for a while it make you realize the JB tweaks you really miss and ones you can get along without.

12. nw9 macrumors regular

That's the problem I had with iOS 5, so I wanted to see if iOS 6 would improve things. From what I've experience so far it does seem to improve my iPhone 4 performance. It's smoother without all the lag I got from iOS 5. It's worth the upgrade for that alone.

13. avanpelt macrumors 68020

Aside from the Maps issue, I don't see how updating a third-gen iPad to iOS 6 would be anything but a positive experience.

Basically, the only things that change as far as a third-gen iPad is concerned are the new Maps app, the loss of Apple's old native YouTube app (but you can download Google's YouTube iPhone app from the App Store), and the addition of Siri.

The only other caveat I've noticed is that if you use the SlingPlayer app and upgrade any of your iOS devices to iOS 6, you will lose the ability to stream content in high quality. That has more to do with the poor planning and even worse customer support by the folks at Sling Media than anything else, though.

14. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I didn't have the best of luck with ios6 on iPhone 4. It really slowed my phone down and drained the battery faster than 5.x.

I didn't really care, though, because I had preordered the i5 and ended up selling my 4.

15. anonnymouse macrumors regular

Personal Hotspot does not work for me on my iPhone 4 with iOS 6. Initially I was told that it was specifically just ANR accounts (AT&T Agent National Retail) like the one I'm on, but I'm seeing similar reports from standard consumer account-holders on the Apple Communities forums.

Very simply, I have the 4GB Tethering plan on my account, but the Personal Hotspot menu doesn't even show up in Settings. The phone thinks I'm not subscribed - in Settings-General-Cellular, it shows the "Set Up Personal Hotspot" button.

All manner of troubleshooting and resets with my designated AT&T rep have yielded nothing. AT&T says they don't know when it will be fixed. Apparently it affects 3G, 3GS, and 4 on iOS 6.

Any standard consumers on these three phones with a standard consumer 4GB tethering plan having trouble with Hotspot not showing up in Settings?

16. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

What new options?

17. KojiH macrumors 6502

I upgraded my 4 to iOS6 but am not really noticing any improvements other than the fact that I no longer have to enter my apple password to update my apps.

Other than that it took away the old maps app in exchange for the new apple maps WITHOUT turn by tun voice which is the only redeeming feature of the new maps app.

I lost the old YouTube app which is ok because I can download the new replace app.

I got Passbook which is pretty much useless until more retailers sign on.

So basically I find no particularly great reason to upgrade an iPhone 4 to OS6. We still don't get Siri. We lose the better Google powered maps in exchange for a crippled version of Apple maps. What is the upside?

18. FieldingMellish Suspended

It works fine on my 4, except for my having been bamboozled into obtaining the ignominious Apple Maps app in place of the superior Google Maps. That was a real kick in the nuts.

19. sers macrumors regular

Btw, I wanted to ask - has anyone updated any apps that require iOS 6? I tried downloading Jasmine on my iPad 3 and it said I required iOS 6. I'm still on 5.1.1.

20. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

I haven't played with it on the iPhone 4 but my wife was complaining that it was acting slower since upgrading. Its unusual for her to notice changes.

21. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I just do not get the love for the old maps app, with out turn by turn navigation i found it useless and always just used waze or motionX.

The new Apple maps is just as useless since it also does not have turn by turn (on the 4)

22. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

However, "Dragon Dictation" is very good and so is "Vlingo"

----------

I'd bet she's notice if you changed your aftershave ;)

23. DJ.Nickk macrumors regular

DJ.Nickk

You should be rebooting daily lol!!

24. frayne182 macrumors 6502

It has turn by turn just not out loud.

It is shown on the screen instead.

25. Appleseeds macrumors regular

Why do you say that?